PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Fantasy E-Mag contest

Maghog
12-11-2001, 12:09 PM
I have to say that I'm really disappointed now that I've seen the entries.
Some of these ideas are great, others ... well...I don't know what to say.
I'm really miffed that hand drawings were not allowed here.
Look at some of this stuff, it's like cartoons!
I thought things had to look real!
I was asked not to submit my stuff because it was not computer generated, therefore it would not create the realistic effect sought after as stated in the rules.
After observing what was submitted, a good 25-40% of the stuff has no "realism" whatsoever.
But the fact that they were done with a computer makes their entry valid?
What a crock!!!
I apologize for being frank, but this contest had some very quircky flaws to it.
I'm not saying that I would have won, but I was really interested in seeing how my drawings would do compared to other peoples ideas.
Oh well, you guys will just have to wait until I make THE fantasy E-mag as real as can be. No computer image or drawing or anything else will stack up.
Again, this is not about winning for me, I have all the Triggernomics triggers, warp feeds, and Automags I want for now.
I also know that Tom does not have to run contests if he does not want to.
I am really just saying this so things like this don't burden future contests.
Sorry for the rant, but I think reasonable people will understand where I'm coming from.
Dan@Triggernomics

omni
12-11-2001, 12:18 PM
YA too bad hand drawings weren't allowed, I didn't know they weren't. There is a Naming contest afterwards tho, you can get in on that. :)

Maybe you can post some of your drawings up on the contest and ask how people like it?

Webmaster
12-11-2001, 12:26 PM
Dan - I sympathize with your frustrations. I infact agreed that hand submittals should be allowed. Nearly all commercially produced products start thier life in prismacolor mockups and design concepts (like cars and even our own ad designs) But at that particular time it was decided to stick with computer created work. I think the hope was that we wanted "realistic" looking work - similar to what BrazyU created originally and started this whole thing.

The problem is that not everyone is as skilled as BrazyU in computer graphics programs - as you can see by the wide range of skill levels in the contest. This is similar to what happened with the intelliframe contest.

I do know that Tom thought about doing another contest with hand generated entries being allowed. So - seeing what I have of your work I would be VERY interested to see what monsters are lurking in your head. I would hope we can repeat this exersice and this timem include hand entries.

krafty
12-11-2001, 12:39 PM
I tend to agree as well... I could put my ideas down on paper and have them look better than I could ever get with a computer program. Not to mention the fact that I don't currently have any software that would do the job, so I'd have to either spend major $ on one or worse yet, pirate one. Since this contest wasn't for immediate use (like the i-frame packaging) it would make MORE sense to have accepted different types of submissions.

I had a great idea for a displaced battery setup, yet I was unable to submit it because of the limitations of the contest. Oh well, maybe next time, eh?

Hexis
12-11-2001, 12:43 PM
I agree that hand drawings should have been allowed. And though I think everyone should be allowed an entry, maybe there should have been an internal culling first.

I am getting kind of frustrated with people insulting all of the entries. While not all of the entries are the same quality, there are many that are well done and have very good new ideas. Which, as I read the rules was the entire point.

There are some very nice ideas in there. #12's wonderful milling. #15's nice battery/foregrip. Both #6 and #18's convertible 45 to Z grip. #21's gas through battery. #30's modular grip. #36's awesome concept for a mainbody. #37's milling/design. I also like #19 a lot in many ways. ;)

cphilip
12-11-2001, 12:44 PM
But think of the alternative...A true artist is never appreciated till he is dead... :eek:

I see your point. Shame isn't it?

kilaueakid
12-11-2001, 12:53 PM
I have to agree 100% with everything you say Dan....every silver lining has a touch of grey....;)

~kila

Maghog
12-11-2001, 02:43 PM
Well, it's good to see I am not alone.
Hexis, please note that I did not insult any specific design, but just the rules for submission.
I think that people were very imaginative with their designs, and I like a lot of them... the realness rule should eliminate a lot of them though because they don't come close.
Either that, or the rule simply needed to require computer created entries only.
It's the hazy interpretation of the rule that irks me, not the entries themselves.
I'm also surprised that there are so few entries...we have close to 3000 members and only 50 of them submitted a design.
I'm not sure if 1000 entries were eliminated because of rule infractions, but it seems to be a low turnout when such great prizes are up for grabs.
The last thing I want is to complain my way into having Tom create a new contest, I am not going to participate if there is one.
That said, this is the only place where my designs will debut, I love AO, and the response I'm getting here is only reinforcing that feeling.
You will see my stuff here first, and no where else. But I don't need a contest to submit it.
I will post my drawings in a new thread for your viewing pleasure.
Dan

thei3ug
12-11-2001, 04:41 PM
"I want pictures that make people on other forums say "is that REAL??"."

You know, I'm a bit pissed off now. If Dan's drawing could look any more realistic than the ones on there, why WEREN'T his concepts allowed? Honestly, some of those LOOK like they might as well have been drawn by hand.

What guidlines are the ones you are going to uphold here?

Maghog
12-11-2001, 09:14 PM
well, I never said that my drawings were more "real"
I posted them...here:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18878
by no means do they compete with the better designs of the contest as far as realism goes, but they've got what it takes to at least participate.
All I'm saying is that from looking at some of the entries, the request to have hand drawn ideas included in this contest was not too far fetched.
I've ranted and raved enough now, I don't want to see people get pissed because of this. I think that my point has been made and hopefully will help to avoid future contest conflicts.
Dan

MAGgot Man
12-11-2001, 09:34 PM
I was disappointed that hand drawings were not allowed. The hand gives you more freedom to be creative than a computer does. Additionally I don't think most of the entries were innovative or original. Most of them just added anodizing or some additional milling. If am not mistaken entry #7 and #25 are the same gun...just with different backgrounds.

However there were a few that did put some real thought into their entry and a lot of time as well. I hop that those people continue to strive to stand out in a crowd of mediocrity.

FooTemps
12-11-2001, 10:02 PM
Some people went way too far into fantasy land! Woo, just look those cool looking but very unrealistic mags. I like the gigermag cuz it just is funky....

AGD
12-11-2001, 10:17 PM
Guys,

The current batch of entries spans a wide range of quality.
While I can sympathise with your not being able to put in hand drawings you need to think about what type of range we would get with them. I am going to use these entries to cherry pick some of the better ideas. I see a few already. If you have some great pics post them here and I'll look at them. If some are really spectacular there could always be a consolation prize in it.

AGD

FooTemps
12-11-2001, 10:19 PM
Cherry picker... tsk tsk tsk... lol

JanStah
12-12-2001, 08:11 AM
I'm glad you liked my Giger Mag! It looks (from the votes I got) like not many others liked it, but I dont care; I had fun making it. I'll take solace in the fact that mine is one of the few real FANTASY emags out there.

Btw, Dan, I agree with you; the submission rules were far too strict and officious. Your design, on paper, is already better than the vast quantities of E-Z-Mags that were submitted.

I think it's sad that people prefer the same-old things over a new, radical, challenging solution.

Cheers

Jan.

Jonneh
12-12-2001, 08:16 AM
I had this idea for a paintball gun yesterday, so i got all the bits of my fantasy mag (which I formatted over, doh) and peiced together my new concept gun.

http://www.digitalbrain.com/Jonneh/eeew.jpg?verb=view

Yes I know the scale is totally out of whack, but you can see what i mean.

Pros:
-wouldn't be really high as the hopper is directly in front of your hand
-Looks stupid

Cons
-too front heavy
-Looks Stupid

Of course no one in their right mind would put an egglution on it :D

JanStah
12-12-2001, 08:32 AM
You should have submitted that! It's certainly a departure from the 'Oh lets have another E-Z-Mag with flame milling' crowd.

BTW, that Armageddon looks familiar....hmmm...

Jan.

animal
12-12-2001, 10:17 AM
I agree with a lot of the above. If you've got some great new design hand drawn, then post it. While the contest is over, the possibilities are only beginning. I believe Tom said himself that a lot of his decisions are highly influenced by everyone on the forum. Think about it, if you post something and cause enough of a stir on here, it's going to be noticed and thought about by the people who make these things. If there's some revolutionary new design that you come up with, and you get enough people want it, they will find a way to design it. The contest was merely a way to get ideas cranking. I can really see it happening that someone starts a movement after the contest and it eventually becomes the next new gun design on the market. It's completely possible imho. So post it up.

Maghog
12-12-2001, 02:13 PM
I posted the other one...damn...forgot to copy the link. Now I have to go back and...oh well, you guys can find it if you look hard enough.

FooTemps
12-12-2001, 05:02 PM
I think that a lot of people did a good job... I'm just wonderin why people didn't make some of their more realistic. I noticed that people rendered their background but not the actual pic...