PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove a Tac-One feedneck?

NinjaoftheNight79
12-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Ya, so I got my Tac-One. Its beautiful. My only problem is the feedneck. I would like a better one. How do you remeve the feedneck to put a new one on?

SpitFire1299
12-26-2005, 12:51 AM
You have to unscrew it, but they are loctited on i believe. I got mine off with a table vise and some foam to protect it from getting scratched. It worked great. :)

pachytriton
12-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Yeah agd seals the feednecks on, I don't think it's loctite so heating it up won't work. I was in a hurry when I took mine off and just used a wrench so now the outside is totally trashed.

NinjaoftheNight79
12-26-2005, 01:11 AM
Has anybody tried a strap wrench (I think thats what they are called). I believe we have one.

Banshee23
12-26-2005, 01:18 AM
Has anybody tried a strap wrench (I think thats what they are called). I believe we have one.

I used a strap wrench to get the feedneck off of my ULE body. It was a royal pain as it is held in there with some sort of thread locker as has been mentioned. Just get a good grip on it & keep trying, it'll eventually come off.

master_alexander
12-26-2005, 01:20 AM
strap wrench if you want to keep it/resell it

wrench if you want to get it off and toss it.

but id go with the strap wrench.

ramennoodles
12-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Yeah, it just seems senseless to wrip up a perfectly good feedneck because one is in a hurry.

SpitFire1299
12-26-2005, 02:22 AM
If you have a table vise, you could also put some wood in-between the feedneck; then clamp it and unscrew. :)

ramennoodles
12-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Or instead of wood, you could use my favourite old dickies, denim, or carhart cloth.

NinjaoftheNight79
12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Or instead of wood, you could use my favourite old dickies, denim, or carhart cloth.

I could never ruin my dickies or carhart ;)
I dont really plan on reselling it, but I do plan on putting it back on if I dont get a new feedneck by then. What I wanna do is have it loose so I can take that thread lock off, and put some lower power loctite on it so its semi-permanant. Then when I get a nicer feedneck that either matches the Tac-One alot better or is a locking feedneck, I will permanantly replace it.

Chris_automag_07
12-26-2005, 03:05 PM
I boiled the body for about thirty minutes(yes...on the stove) and then used brute force and a slip proof pad for opening cans to get it off....and yes, my hand hurt like a mofo when i got done....but i got the neck off.(btw....dont used vise grips, even if there is something in between...it will go through).....GOOD LUCK :bounce:

NinjaoftheNight79
12-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I purchased a 3 pack of strap wrenches from Sam's Club for $11. Best investment ever.

They dont come off easy. The easiest is to have 2 people to do it. 1 holding the body, the other using the strap wrench.

Hope this helps.

That does help. Thanks much for the tip. I will have my dad help me. I would have been in there for hours trying to get it off.

HOMELANDEFENDER
12-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Take the Tac One main body off the lower, strip all the parts from it including the ball detent and take a flame to it -- it will come off with the addition of heat. I used a small propane torch and a "Robo Grip" from Sears.. The anodized finish was not damaged by the flame.

You'll need an Angel thread pattern BTW -- I love my no rise cam lever feed neck from Fireball Mountain -- They call it the "Hooker". No tools required to clamp down onto your hopper.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/3538/

HLD...

Chris_automag_07
12-26-2005, 06:32 PM
DO NOT.....Use a ROBO GRIP unless you want to comlpetely cosmetically destroy this feedneck...they have a bout the sharperst teeth on them of anything, believe me. i tried it.

HOMELANDEFENDER
12-27-2005, 12:43 AM
DO NOT.....Use a ROBO GRIP unless you want to comlpetely cosmetically destroy this feedneck...they have a bout the sharperst teeth on them of anything, believe me. i tried it.
Not if you use the slip on rubber grips that should come with the package. At least mine did.

HLD...

behemoth
12-27-2005, 12:47 AM
strap wreches are where its at.

Never had a problem, even from AGD.

Put some muscle into it

Recon by Fire
12-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Mine required a strap wrench and torch.

SpitFire1299
12-27-2005, 01:59 AM
I purchased a 3 pack of strap wrenches from Sam's Club for $11. Best investment ever.

They dont come off easy. The easiest is to have 2 people to do it. 1 holding the body, the other using the strap wrench.

Hope this helps.
Sounds like a good video clip. :D

TheDuelist
12-27-2005, 02:40 AM
How many AOer's does it take to remove a feedneck?

Chris_automag_07
12-28-2005, 02:34 AM
my feedneck was on so tight that i had to squeeze so tight that the robo grips cut right through the rubber slip covers.....ended up doing it bare-handed.....my hands hurt for a while, but i got it to come off.

master_alexander
12-28-2005, 02:40 AM
How many AOer's does it take to remove a feedneck?

that is sig material...

wait, no sigs! gonna put it under my name.

---

someone make a video of taking off their feedneck where it is really hard. that would be funny.

imabubble
02-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Just got a Tac-One off of ebay, and I want to add something similar to what the specialops people are doing with the Qloader and the horizontal feed, my question is, has anyone done this? does the stock feedneck need to be removed? and how is the horizontal set-up done?

Thanx in advance for any info.