PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my 90* fitting off!!

slateman
12-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Right forum? If not, then move

So I have a 90* macroline fitting. And for some reason, the guy used locktite when putting it on.

Any tricks to get it off? cus right now it looks like I'm gonna end up scuffing it up :(

pachytriton
12-26-2005, 01:06 PM
use a hair dryer to heat it up and then try to remove it.

SpitFire1299
12-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Worst Case Scenerio-

Clamp it in a table vice, and turn. :D (wow.. table vice's solv all my problems) Make sure that ONLY the macroline is touching the vice, and that you wont make a big chrome ring on the regulator or asa that its on. :)

Cow hunter
12-26-2005, 01:35 PM
i had the same problem...... nothing a really big monkey wrench didnt solve.....or a table vice..... meh' table vices dont work as well because of a few odd angles....

hardr0ck68
12-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Worst Case Scenerio-

Clamp it in a table vice, and turn. :D (wow.. table vice's solv all my problems) Make sure that ONLY the macroline is touching the vice, and that you wont make a big chrome ring on the regulator or asa that its on. :)

this is exactly how i have unstuck tricky parts. Another pit is to boil the locktight. If the part has no steel parts in it or seals that are hard to replace (i would not recomend this method for an agd valve because of all the seals you would have to replace and the rust that would form on the reg springs and such). Just boil a pot of water, drop the peice in, leave it in the water (with heat on or off it doesnt matter to much) for a min or two. Then try to remove it! THis method should losen that pesky lock tight. Its what i do to all AGD sears if the trigger rod needs to be adjusted.

MarkM
12-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Right forum? If not, then move

So I have a 90* macroline fitting. And for some reason, the guy used locktite when putting it on.

Any tricks to get it off? cus right now it looks like I'm gonna end up scuffing it up :(

You should use a form of threadlock, careful and I do mean careful use of PTFE tape will be adequate but the common used item is thread lock.

Use a Hairdryer and you will still be at it next Christmas. Direct heat is the simplest method, either a Chefs blowtorch or one of those new generation of flamethrower lighters. Heat until it smokes and then you will be all set to remove the fitting. Clamp using cloths or even some mouse mats seem to work well and a set of vice grips and or a bench vise and whichever part can be moved then use an adjustable wrench...in the case of this item.
For feednecks then use a strap wrench...these can slip so use the strap as protection and then use a set of vice grips.

master_alexander
12-26-2005, 02:46 PM
if its not a swivel then stick the biggest allen you can in thereand turn.

mightbreak the macro though.

slateman
12-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Got it. Had to buy a table clamp at Home Depot. Went through about half a lighter too

MarkM
12-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Got it. Had to buy a table clamp at Home Depot. Went through about half a lighter too

Glad you got the fitting off...easy that way wasn't it? ;) Remember to clean the threads out of the unburnt threadlock, this makes it a heck of a lot easier to replace the fitting, same with other items you have had to do this with. Feednecks you should always test thread them in as very often they can cross thread as the majority of threaded feednecks are rather finely threaded, I know we weren't talking about feednecks but as in my previous post the same theory applys.

GT
12-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Direct heat is the simplest method, either a Chefs blowtorch or one of those new generation of flamethrower lighters. Heat until it smokes and then you will be all set to remove the fitting.

You guys are brutal. I usually try teh hot water method which has not failed. For all you AO readers out there, try hot water first and then the blow torch method.

rkjunior303
12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I invested $15 in a heatgun, which works just as well as a lighter but it doesn't actually use an open flame. I mainly use it for my hockey sticks but it works well in trying to get off those pesky fittings/feednecks.

MarkM
12-27-2005, 12:51 PM
You guys are brutal. I usually try teh hot water method which has not failed. For all you AO readers out there, try hot water first and then the blow torch method.

Not brutal just honest...your option is quite simple I agree but it is a "try" option...Flame works everytime. Also it is a damned sight quicker than hot water...how do you think the Pro shops do it...have a kettle on permanent boil?

The ideal item is the one I mentioned or a plumbers propane torch, but given the cost of the latter and the number of times you as a casual user might use it, it proves to be a little too expensive. The big plus with Flame is that you don't have to dismantle everything as you would with the water idea, since the same would apply to say an Angel/Viking/Shocker/Bushmaster of whatever number, you can't do it with water due to the electronics/wiring all in place unless you dismantle the 'noid etc etc.

Rudz
12-27-2005, 11:24 PM
use blue loctite for items that have to come off red means its not coming off, easily, i learned the hard way, i think some loctite on my asa, and i think some leaked on my drop, now it wont come off, ill try these methods, i have lots of lighters...ummm i err collect them....

Dark Side
12-27-2005, 11:48 PM
channel locks and a #20 sledge hammer

Rudz
12-28-2005, 09:27 PM
i need a torch , that water bioling method isnt working, my cp asa is stuck to the drop ive, stuck em in boiling water and it isnt budging, and i dont have a vice, so how long am i supposed to let this thing boil? is it possible to over boil it?

Rudz
12-28-2005, 09:36 PM
i need a torch , that water bioling method isnt working, my cp asa is stuck to the drop ive, stuck em in boiling water and it isnt budging, and i dont have a vice, so how long am i supposed to let this thing boil? is it possible to over boil it?

ok i had to boil the heck out of it, but it worked, no vice, just really hot water, dont know how long it was in there, but a bunch of water had time to evaporate, ...stupid red loctite....