PDA

View Full Version : Trigger frame problems.

Ace12GA
12-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any help you guys may give me.

I have two 68 Classics. One is fairly vanila, works great. Classic Valve, Reg, Bolt, Body, and the carbon single trigger frame. The other needs a seal kit, works but leaks, has an ANS Phase II reg and Bolt, as well as a Benchmark double trigger aluminum frame. I was messing around with them the other day, when I decided to put the Benchmark trigger frame on my working Classic, the one that does not leak.

I take them both apart and proceed to swap the trigger frames around. I do not swap the sear's, the rails, or anything else, just the trigger franes. I don't even swap the hardware around. With the benchmark trigger frame on my good mag, it now leaks.

I put everything back to where it should be, and with my carbon trigger frame on, its fine, works great, no issues. So I swap the valves around. My complete classic valve, reg, and bolt, in the other automag, and it still leaks. To really test it out, I swap my carbon trigger frame onto the other mag, and the leak stops.

Obviously the Benchmark trigger frame is causing some sort of issue, I suspect with the on/off assembly, but I am not sure. My experience with Mags is limited, mainly to stock AGD parts. If anyone has some good ideas, or maybe knows whats going on, please let me know. As a note, the teflon o-rings in the on/off on the second mag, the one that leaks and needs a seal kit, are slightly damaged.

Pics of both my mags are posted in this thread: http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188586

Cow hunter
12-27-2005, 01:37 PM
maybe the benchmark pushes the sear a bit in back causing a small leak?

Ace12GA
12-27-2005, 08:31 PM
So, I played some more. Its leaking down the barrel. When you pull the trigger and hold, the leak stops. Thats classic power tube spacer right? I just don't understand why a different trigger frame would make the difference. I checked the sear, and its not being engaged by the benchmark trigger at all until pulled.

Ace12GA
12-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Further mucking about, I noticed that the bolt is about .125" further forward when gassed up then when the stock carbon fibre frame is on. This is creating the leak for sure. I checked around the trigger, and its got about .125" of play before it even engages the sear. Any ideas?

Coralis
12-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Perhaps the brass sleeve (rail bushing)on the back of the trigger frame (the field strip screw is inserted through this) is worn, loose or not present. This could cause your problem. The only other thing I can think of is the trigger plate might be binding the trigger rod on the sear ... I think I had to grind mine down a bit when I first got my Benchy 7 years ago. You could also try a smaller spacer in the valve that is going to have the Benchmark frame on it , or replace the Benchmark frame with a new one

Ace12GA
12-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Perhaps the brass sleeve (rail bushing)on the back of the trigger frame (the field strip screw is inserted through this) is worn, loose or not present. This could cause your problem. The only other thing I can think of is the trigger plate might be binding the trigger rod on the sear ... I think I had to grind mine down a bit when I first got my Benchy 7 years ago. You could also try a smaller spacer in the valve that is going to have the Benchmark frame on it , or replace the Benchmark frame with a new one

The rail bushing is present. I actually messed around with my two mags a lot today. When I put my origional trigger frame back on my primary mag today, it still leaked down the barrel. I nearly flipped out. So I strip down the power tube on both valves. My primary marker's valve have a brass spacer, the newer one I got has a spring. So I swap the spring into my primary valve, and it works now. I am going to be ordering a proper spacer kit, along with a couple of seal kits from AGD in the next week. I think I will be buying an intelliframe in the near future as well.

In regards to the trigger causing problems with the sear assembly, I can totally see that happening. It appears the origional owner already attempted to modifiy the frame by drilling a hole through the trigger guard, and into the area where the trigger bar protrudes. It gives the trigger bar more clearence to move. Its also ugly as hell, reinforcing the idea that the benchmark trigger frame was not very well thought out.

Anyway, problem solved, its mainly a power tube spacer problem.

Thanks to everyone that helped, or offered advice.