PDA

View Full Version : don't be like rocky..

whistl3r
12-28-2005, 12:56 PM
this story isn't shens

me and 7 friends were playing a game at our friends' house in deer park, WA. We had never played there before, but it was an awesome woodsball scene. 1/3 heavy woods, 1/3 construction, and 1/3 hilly area. we couldn't wait to play.

one friend brought along a new guy who had played before, but he couldn't wear a normal mask because he was claustrophobic.. so he wore motorcycle goggles, a cloth over his mouth and face, and a helmet. we were reluctant at first, but we let him make the call if he wanted to play or not.. we just said we'd try to not shoot him in the face.

he was behind a bunker.. my friend saw his helmet, took a shot, and he raised up just in time for the ball to hit him in the gogs, shattering the GLASS (we thought it was plastic).

we took him back to the house and got him cleaned up.. he said he wasn't in much pain, but he had a red spot in his eye, and a small section that looked messed up.

then he said that this had happened before.. but before he didnt have a mask at all. he had a torn iris or something and he couldn't see normally for a couple of months. :tard:

but he said he was alright, and we could keep playing and he would just chill on the sidelines. we were like alright.. so we play 2 more games and come back, and he is in incredible pain. the pressure was building up inside his eye.. and he said he had to go to the hospital. his house was on the way to the hospital, so we drop him and my friend that brought him off and they drive to the hospital.

no one hears from him for months.. then i ask about him at a game last month.. and my friend says that HE LOST HIS EYE... i couldn't believe it. compare your life to his and be thankful.

wear your goggles kids, and don't play with anyone who refuses to wear proper goggles.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

~whistler

Chris_automag_07
12-28-2005, 01:08 PM
holy crap! :eek:

MarkM
12-28-2005, 01:21 PM
The obvious answer to this is wear the proper gear or don't play...oh and play at an LEGAL field so your friend who did the shooting and the friend who owns the land (or via his/her Parents) should fully expect a hefty lawsuit. If a burglar can sue from being caught inside a building and nearly starving to death, your friends are wide open to the lawsuit even though he was playing with incorrect gear. The same result would be if YOU had lost an eye due to a defective lens (many people don't change them often enough) as I doubt you would let it lie now that you are now minus an eye.

I would guess that due to my country the way it is divided up land ownership wise I would find an outlaw game difficult to find but in the states you do tend to have a little bit more land to find such places. But the real lesson is DON'T play on outlaw sites.

Whilst I find the results you have posted to be a tragic end of a days play, that days play should never have taken place.

NinjaoftheNight79
12-28-2005, 01:35 PM
There is a huge post on Special Ops paintball about a guy that had this happen to him. Now he can only use one eye correctly for ever. It got stickied over there, for he gave a lot of good (even medical) information on what happened.

Cow hunter
12-28-2005, 02:19 PM
surprisingly enough this happened to TWO people in my town..... one was rubbing his eye and got bunkered in the woods with his goggles up........... then the other got hit in the face by his brother when he was goofing around

Archangel Kid
12-28-2005, 03:02 PM
The obvious answer to this is wear the proper gear or don't play...oh and play at an LEGAL field so your friend who did the shooting and the friend who owns the land (or via his/her Parents) should fully expect a hefty lawsuit. If a burglar can sue from being caught inside a building and nearly starving to death, your friends are wide open to the lawsuit even though he was playing with incorrect gear. The same result would be if YOU had lost an eye due to a defective lens (many people don't change them often enough) as I doubt you would let it lie now that you are now minus an eye.

I would guess that due to my country the way it is divided up land ownership wise I would find an outlaw game difficult to find but in the states you do tend to have a little bit more land to find such places. But the real lesson is DON'T play on outlaw sites.

Whilst I find the results you have posted to be a tragic end of a days play, that days play should never have taken place.

Are you serious? Maybe that kid shouldn't have played, but when I used to play some of the most fun I had was when we played in my friends backyard. We knew what we were doing and we had all the correct gear. But don't say that they shouldn't play, because it seems like everything else went fine minus the ...person... that didnt' wear the correct gear.

FSU_Paintball
12-28-2005, 03:44 PM
People who say "Only play at legal fields" obviously don't know what it's like to live where there are no fields, or where the fields are absolutely no fun to play at.

Big groups of good friends + large private property = fun

master_alexander
12-28-2005, 03:51 PM
usally i play at my local field. sometimes we play at one of my friends houses. when we do play at my friends house i always have my mask on. nobody has gotten hurt yet.

and did annyone notice rocky has a reverse valve?

PumpPlayer
12-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Outlaw ball is fine by me assuming you follow the basic rules - everyone wears their goggles properly, barrel socks are enforced, everyone chronos under 285 and, oh yeah, you have permission from the landowner to play.

I would gladly play with a group that took the proper safety precautions. Sadly, these requirements are not usually met.

As to the story in question, I find it hard to believe that a paintball mask excited his claustrophobia any more than a helmet, goggles and a rag. Perhaps it was an excuse he used because he didn't own a set of goggles, but I would have a hard time believing the claustrophobia story. I won't comment on anything else...

MarkM
12-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Are you serious? Maybe that kid shouldn't have played, but when I used to play some of the most fun I had was when we played in my friends backyard. We knew what we were doing and we had all the correct gear. But don't say that they shouldn't play, because it seems like everything else went fine minus the ...person... that didnt' wear the correct gear.

Well you got lucky with no serious injuries. Remember you live in a culture that sues if the wind blows the wrong way...this is most likely an exaggeration but stranger things have happened.

The incident is assault with no personal insurrance, no public liabilty for the ground used...although in this country all farmland is covered public liability (even if the public shouldn't be there) even if the same is in place for this ground a smart lawyer will soon get around that.

So to sum up on the obvious
Assault causing actual bodily harm ...ABH at a minimum...GBH at worse
Uninsured land use.
Reckless endangerment.
I am sure there a bunch of other charges that could be brought by the injured person, some counter sueing would happen but the guy with one eye will win and win big.

Cow hunter
12-28-2005, 06:48 PM
best local lawsuit i remember was that two 15yr olds werre at one of their houses and riding quads..... one fell, shattered his ENITRE left leg and had huge ugly pins comin out it for 2&1/2 years....... sued the pants off the other people even though they were good friends and neighbors......

LS1 WS6
12-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Well you got lucky with no serious injuries. Remember you live in a culture that sues if the wind blows the wrong way...this is most likely an exaggeration but stranger things have happened.

The incident is assault with no personal insurrance, no public liabilty for the ground used...although in this country all farmland is covered public liability (even if the public shouldn't be there) even if the same is in place for this ground a smart lawyer will soon get around that.

So to sum up on the obvious
Assault causing actual bodily harm ...ABH at a minimum...GBH at worse
Uninsured land use.
Reckless endangerment.
I am sure there a bunch of other charges that could be brought by the injured person, some counter sueing would happen but the guy with one eye will win and win big.

Not to be argumentative but I think your facts are off a little. An officer or Prosecutor would have to file all of the criminal charges like assault. I can not see any officer or prosecutor filing charges when it was a consensual game.

When it comes to a lawsuit you are correct. The kid who lost his eye could sue all parties involved civilly. I find it sad that anyone could sue for something stupid they did. People need to take responsibility for themselves. When you make a stupid decision you need to live with it and not blame others.

peewee
12-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I have a damaged iris from a BB gun war back when I was a kid ( it bounced) hurt like holy crap. I have a cataract now at the ripe old age of 37. I wouldnt have played with this guy. i played back when all we had was shop goggles wont do it now with the firepower thats out there.

whistl3r
12-28-2005, 08:15 PM
all my friends and i have a paper that we print off everytime we play at someone's house. all we have to do is fill in the address and everyone's name, and BAM we can't get sued.. or sue.

Lohman446
12-28-2005, 08:25 PM
all my friends and i have a paper that we print off everytime we play at someone's house. all we have to do is fill in the address and everyone's name, and BAM we can't get sued.. or sue.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

punkncat
12-28-2005, 09:08 PM
oh and play at an LEGAL field so your friend who did the shooting and the friend who owns the land (or via his/her Parents) should fully expect a hefty lawsuit. ...
But the real lesson is DON'T play on outlaw sites.

I suppose this is because the flimsy waiver signed at legal fields offer some form of protection from liability and lawsuit?

...or an I reading too much into it and just cause they would never have allowed peabrain(s) to play w/o proper protection?

Sorry to say it, but this is an example of the Darwin effect....

Lohman446
12-28-2005, 09:16 PM
I suppose this is because the flimsy waiver signed at legal fields offer some form of protection from liability and lawsuit?

Maybe in England... you have to remember, Mark is discussing totally different regulations. The waiver you sign (most any waiver) is of less value than the paper it is printed on in the US.

chefstevie
12-28-2005, 09:23 PM
what a smart idea

Recon by Fire
12-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Playing with the face mask part is fine, but keep the paintball goggles! I will just keep my face mask on too though if it's all teh same to you guys. I have to protect my good looks, LOL.

Troen
12-28-2005, 11:42 PM
best local lawsuit i remember was that two 15yr olds werre at one of their houses and riding quads..... one fell, shattered his ENITRE left leg and had huge ugly pins comin out it for 2&1/2 years....... sued the pants off the other people even though they were good friends and neighbors......
thats ct for ya.

MarkM
12-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Not to be argumentative but I think your facts are off a little. An officer or Prosecutor would have to file all of the criminal charges like assault. I can not see any officer or prosecutor filing charges when it was a consensual game.

When it comes to a lawsuit you are correct. The kid who lost his eye could sue all parties involved civilly. I find it sad that anyone could sue for something stupid they did. People need to take responsibility for themselves. When you make a stupid decision you need to live with it and not blame others.

I can see you aren't being argumentive. If an Officer/Prosecutor has to file charges then so be it...depends on if a complaint has been made...consensual activity is a real mute point since some civil cases have begun as consensual and ended up much different.
Lohman our waivers are as worthless as yours so that is the same. much as we have an alledged law of Trespass, it doesn't exist but you still see the signs saying "Do not Trespass, Offenders will be Prosecuted"
I personally would be suing for anything I could get. Stupidity is not a defense in any form of law I have come across. If it was in this case then you would say guy with one eye is stupid and the guys who played along with him were "more" stupid? See, it doesn't work even if stupidity was an allowable defense.
At least on a legal field you have paperwork (waivers) to overturn, with Private land there is no paperwork to worry about and makes the case easier. It is all "he said, she said" and would be overturned at the first hurdle. But again at least on a Legal field the insurrance is in place to pay out for events like this.
When the dust settles on a legal fields litigation then there might well be a few extra lawsuits but the bulk of the payment will come from the legal fields insurrance.
I seem to recall some site that had something bad happen and the end result was that they ceased trading...I could be wrong about that but it is sticking in my memory for some reason.