PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

Lenny
12-29-2005, 02:19 AM
Ok, I was wondering if one could spray paint a classic bead blasted SS body. Can you? I imagine it'd be hard to anodize, and spray painting would be cheaper and give me the same kind of look that the body already has.

If it can be done, how many coats, and would kind of paint should I use?

Thanks.

ramennoodles
12-29-2005, 02:25 AM
You're tellin me, Lenny. Annodizing an original bead blasted body would be QUITE hard, becvause they are steel and you can only annodize aluminum.

You can spray paint them but they will probably chip. Try two or three coats and then clear coat it.

-Isaac.

Lenny
12-29-2005, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the info. What kind of paintb would I want? I know there are different types for metals, but what type exactly would be best? I know it'll chip eventually, but I think with the right kind of paint and the way the beads on the original paint job are, it'll hold for a while.

ramennoodles
12-29-2005, 02:36 AM
I think your best bet is to go into a home improv store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) with your body and ask the paint person. Or even better, a locally owned hardware store or MFA type place. They are more apt to know what the heck they are talkin about.

-Isaac.

Lenny
12-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Kool. Thanks 'noodles.

Vex
12-29-2005, 03:18 AM
I actually spray painted my Minimag. I used Rustoleum flat black and put only one thick coat on it. It doesn't need primer, because essentially, it already is primered. My paint never chipped and I had it on there for over 3 years. When I decided I wanted to remove it, I bought some industrial strength stripper and it was a pain in the butt to get off. I had to sand most of it off with my Dremel.

I guess I did a good job of painting mine... :ninja:

Lenny
12-29-2005, 03:29 AM
Wow, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks

Vex
12-29-2005, 03:36 AM
I forgot to mention--Remember to tape off ALL areas where paint can get inside of the body. Also, I would suggest not painting the area of the body that rests on the rail--since it's a precision fit. If you do (I did) don't put too thick of a coat on.

Good luck!