PDA

View Full Version : when playing in a tourney...

master_alexander
01-01-2006, 02:50 PM
when you play in a tourney do you wait to get called out or do you call yourself out? as in, you get hit, you might know that it broke but you keep playing until the ref calls you out.

The Action Figure
01-01-2006, 02:51 PM
I call myself out if hit is obvious to me, if not I wait till the ref pulls me

WARPED1
01-01-2006, 03:01 PM
I call myself out if I know it broke, I call for a ref and keep shooting until ref calls me neutral to check me.

peewee
01-01-2006, 03:08 PM
If I can see it & know that its big enough I call myself out if I cant see it or think that its on the small side I will request a paint check.

Resurection
01-01-2006, 03:09 PM
the key here is what is stated in almost ALL rule books --> 'obvious hits' if you have been hit and you know it broke, you have to call yourself hit or be subject to a 1-for-1 or such.

My rule of thumb has been to call myself on anything that I can easily see or check for without making myself an obvious target (ie - gun, arms, goggle lens, legs). Depending on the bunker you are in, you can check yourself more or less, but if you ask for a check and the ref see's a break somewhere that you could easily see it yourself - you're asking for a penatly.

slade
01-01-2006, 03:54 PM
at the last tournament i was in i made the mistake of calling myself out immediately upon being hit. it turned out i was hit by someone who was playing on. a ref told me after the game he was going to call me clean.

Lohman446
01-01-2006, 05:01 PM
the key here is what is stated in almost ALL rule books --> 'obvious hits' if you have been hit and you know it broke, you have to call yourself hit or be subject to a 1-for-1 or such.

My rule of thumb has been to call myself on anything that I can easily see or check for without making myself an obvious target (ie - gun, arms, goggle lens, legs). Depending on the bunker you are in, you can check yourself more or less, but if you ask for a check and the ref see's a break somewhere that you could easily see it yourself - you're asking for a penatly.

So, you don't follow the rule as written in PSP or NPPL rule books that define an obvious hit\/

ramennoodles
01-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Just like everyone else said, I call myself out on an obvious hit, if it could put me in a position to get hit while I'm checking, or if it is impossuble to see I call for a ref to paint check me.

-Isaac.

Resurection
01-01-2006, 05:50 PM
So, you don't follow the rule as written in PSP or NPPL rule books that define an obvious hit\/

To be honest, I have been out of tourney ball for years and dont know exactly how the rules are written now, but I wasn't talking specifics, I was trying to convey the point that you should always call yourself on an 'obvious' hit (whatever that may be defined as) and play until a ref calls you out on everything else - because that is what everyone else will be doing.

Or to put it simply:

Just like everyone else said, I call myself out on an obvious hit, if it could put me in a position to get hit while I'm checking, or if it is impossuble to see I call for a ref to paint check me.

-Isaac.

buzzboy
01-01-2006, 05:58 PM
The last place I played counted that even if it didn't break<-weird huh.
Mostly I just put my hand to where I got hit and if it has paint on it I call myself out. If not I keep going.

Indignant
01-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I call myself out if I know it broke, I call for a ref and keep shooting until ref calls me neutral to check me.

mhmm. but once i took a shot to the nuts that didn't even break but i called myself out none-the-less. not like i would've been much help to our guys at that moment in time anyways, lol.

buzzboy
01-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Not turnies but at my field we play that you can't leave the field without paint on you unless you have

Gun problem
No air
No paint
Injury(one kid hyperextended his leg making a run)

That means that noobs can't call out just because they are the last man left. You are expected to go out in honor. I usually just blind fire and hope someone hits my hopper.

Lohman446
01-01-2006, 07:42 PM
The rules say pretty clearly that you are responsible for any hit on you not to the back of your pack, beyond midway of your hips.

That being said, they are seldom reviewed and most places say "we're playing modified NPPL / PSP rules" that the refs have no idea what they actually are.

As such, I bother to check when the hit is readily apparent, I make a bit more of an effort when it might catch me a penalty for not, I call paintcheck within a reasonable amount of time when I can't verify myself.

Resurection
01-01-2006, 07:49 PM
The rules say pretty clearly that you are responsible for any hit on you not to the back of your pack, beyond midway of your hips.

That being said, they are seldom reviewed and most places say "we're playing modified NPPL / PSP rules" that the refs have no idea what they actually are.

As such, I bother to check when the hit is readily apparent, I make a bit more of an effort when it might catch me a penalty for not, I call paintcheck within a reasonable amount of time when I can't verify myself.

Only thing about that I don't like is the upper torso area and shoulders where it is difficult to check yourself while wearing a mask. These are areas that are easy to get hit, but not real easy to check yourself on.

I am speaking of times when you are in a firefight and taking the time to wipe/check for paint is enough time to get bunkered and rolled.

Sorry, but I have been overshot and lit up too many times while I tried to be the honorable self-checking player. If I can't see it easy myself while I still play, then I am screaming for a check. Thats what the refs are for IMHO.

But I agree that the lack of true and consistent knowledge between refs, players, and organizers sucks. Did 10 years ago, worse still today.

bentothejam1n
01-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I always go out if i feel it. Of course we usaully get a sportmanship award

BuyMyMag
01-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I call myself out if hit is obvious to me, if not I wait till the ref pulls me

Same.

68magOwner
01-01-2006, 08:49 PM
.....why wouldnt you call yourself out? do you WANT playing on penaltys?

magman007
01-01-2006, 09:00 PM
i always request a paint check, unless its in my field of vision, i do not stop shooting when im shooting, unless i have to duck back in. Lohman knows this. Heck, at iao i had a head shot that bounced, i had a mask shot that bounced, or some times you get those spinners, that nick you leave a small mark, but not enough to be called on. If its in my field of vision, on my hopper, or on my mask, i keep shooting till the ref comes over, or i get the point and the you are out.

Lohman446
01-01-2006, 09:14 PM
i always request a paint check, unless its in my field of vision, i do not stop shooting when im shooting, unless i have to duck back in. Lohman knows this. Heck, at iao i had a head shot that bounced, i had a mask shot that bounced, or some times you get those spinners, that nick you leave a small mark, but not enough to be called on. If its in my field of vision, on my hopper, or on my mask, i keep shooting till the ref comes over, or i get the point and the you are out.

:rolleyes: if the other team is shooting Blaze I dont care if I feel it or not, I'm assuming it bounced... :D

Resurection
01-01-2006, 09:50 PM
:rolleyes: if the other team is shooting Blaze I dont care if I feel it or not, I'm assuming it bounced... :D

This is true, and brings up a thread I have been meaning to start...Mag Paint (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188957)

SpitFire1299
01-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Same here. :)