PDA

View Full Version : Can a person copyright a field style?

thecavemankevin
12-11-2001, 06:53 PM
I thought up a new format of speedball. I don't want to say to much and give away my only million dollar idea, yet i really want to play on one.
While i could tell some of the fields in my area or even you guys and watch my creation spread, i still want credit where credit is due.
I don't want to give away my idea, but it is similar to the game we all know and love. However, it is played on a larger and more in depth field (with current style bunkers) that would be so much more intense. I truely believe that it could revolutionize tournament play and all the rest.
So does anyone know if i can put some sort of pattent or copyright on it?

X-Plosive
12-11-2001, 07:09 PM
I doubt it, otherwise I would patent walking.

Ariestsheft
12-11-2001, 07:36 PM
Who says you cant patent walking? Harley-Davidson patented the sound of their motorcycles, i dont see why you couldnt patent anything.

nutz
12-11-2001, 10:00 PM
from now on im going to patent everything...

This post patent 1232323123455621

bofh
12-11-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Ariestsheft
Who says you cant patent walking? Harley-Davidson patented the sound of their motorcycles, i dont see why you couldnt patent anything.

Well, Prior Art, and Obviousness are two things that can get a patent thrown out. So if somebody did it before you, and released it publicly, no patent.

or if it's so bloody obvious that the "average man" could have thought of it, it's no good either.

I believe that H-D has a trademark on the sound of their motorcycles. Trademarks and Copyrights are different balls of wax.

You might be able to patent a way to play a game. but anybody could get around it by changing the rules just enough so it's not covered by patent anymore.

I am not a patent lawyer.

thecavemankevin
12-12-2001, 07:35 AM
yeah i kinda figured that if it was possible, it would be impossible to close off all the loop holes.

Oh well, i might eventually let you guys in on it.;)

Shaft
12-12-2001, 08:05 AM
I believe the HD Sound had been thrown out.

Webmaster
12-12-2001, 09:06 AM
IIRC - the league started by Steve Davidson (the name ecscapes me, UPL?) patented thier feild design and game play. Their game wasnt like capture the flag exactly and they and bunkers at certain positions. I dont know if you could pattent an exact layout of a field - but it looks like you can pattent a game field lay out if you invent a new way of playing.

XR4
12-12-2001, 05:19 PM
its called the USPL

are they still around?

speedballbanks
12-12-2001, 05:39 PM
shaft you are a 100 % correct they werent able to patent there sound cause the baffle they are using in there pipes arent made by them so another company can have the same noise you see.

thecavemankevin
12-12-2001, 06:04 PM
no, it is still capture the flag, but taken to a whole new level

Oh well, i am thinking about sharing it with the Guys at Pev's next time i go up there, see what they have to say.

speedballbanks
12-12-2001, 08:28 PM
kool

FooTemps
12-12-2001, 09:04 PM
I just thought of a psuedo speedball capture the flag.

Have any of you ever heard of the level murderball for team fortress classic? heh heh heh... Just stick 10 guys on each team and we've got an all out paintspray war...