PDA

View Full Version : Wow used marker sales

nato
01-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Is it just me or can paintball markers not hold value anymore... i stopped whoring and now that i went back to the pbn forum, im finding rl timmys for 450 and so on. It crazy how a paintball gun thats a year old can drop 50% in price... anyone else noticing this craziness?

Nate

WARPED1
01-02-2006, 11:56 PM
It's not crazy, it's how the free world works. It's depreciation. Like cars, the instant you drive it off the lot it loses at least a third of it's value.

CoolHand
01-03-2006, 12:09 AM
It's not crazy, it's how the free world works. It's depreciation. Like cars, the instant you drive it off the lot it loses at least a third of it's value.

Yes, because just like the car market, the paintball gun market is now totally saturated.

It's been coming for a few years now, but there was a point where you could actually see it happen. It was about nine months ago or so, every used marker's resale when to ****.

It's a combination of too many new markers, and too many stupid ballers who will ditch last years "old" model for pennies on the dollar to pick up the brand new "way better" model of the exact same marker.

I do love it though. Lets me buy random obscure markers that "suck" because they are old or *GASP* mechanical for pocket change.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

Kids with no sense of value + mommie and daddie's credit cards + online PB stores + PB forums + lots of hype and an insatiable desire to be liked = floods of nearly new markers being sold for next to no money

Get used to it kids, it's here to stay.

The answer is simple of course: Stop gunwhoring.

:eek:

I know, it sounds extreme, but think about it. How often does a marker actually wear out? Not very often. Find something you like and stick with it. Then you don't need to worry about resale.

That's why I have like a dozen markers. I love every one of them, and they won't bring beans if I try to sell them. So, here they sit, and every once in a while, I use them . . . . . .

nato
01-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Well said... here here. All true. I've been balling now for a decade and although, not anceint, long enough to see a whole lot of change good and bad.

Nate

slateman
01-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Yea, though I don't mind :D I'm looking at a DM4 for $450 or trying to pick up a Shocker

nato
01-03-2006, 12:22 AM
not hard to find one at that price

BD_Paintball
01-03-2006, 12:28 AM
i love the prices. im trying to pick up a used proto within the next month or so

master_alexander
01-03-2006, 12:29 AM
im a gun whore. yep. i like the prices.

i have actually kept one of my guns for almost a year. my mag. isint that amazing? im trying to see which high end electro i like... then im going to start and mod old guns that nobody wants at all. woo.

but the sell market sucks. much easier to trade.

paint magnet
01-03-2006, 12:35 AM
If you're looking for something that will hold its value, Palmer's products are probably your best bet. The depreciation on them is much lower than on other markers.

Yes, the market can suck for those trying to sell their old and well-maintained markers, but you can also turn it to your advantage through trading and re-selling.

slade
01-03-2006, 08:34 AM
yeah, the market is pretty bad. it really dropped around the time of the ion, it was already dropping and that just killed everything. luckily i bought my freestyle after it dropped and got a good deal at the time, but now i cant even sell it upgraded for the price i bought it then.

im mainly looking at trading, because that seems like the only way to get what the marker is worth if youve had it for a while. sometimes you can even find a good deal with a trade, and profit from it.

for some reason i dont quite understand people always seem to need the newest model. i was trying to trade my 04 gen 2 freestyle for an 04 cyborg. i was offering to add $100. the person declined my upgraded 04, because there was a stock freestyle pro he was interested in that he was going to add money for :confused: . the only practical difference between the two was that mine had a CCM feedneck and good aftermarket regs, and the FSP had different milling, a snatch grip, and QEVs (which didnt do anything and were shown to cause problems).

Cow hunter
01-03-2006, 08:50 AM
The answer is simple of course: Stop gunwhoring.
That's why I have like a dozen markers. I love every one of them, and they won't bring beans if I try to sell them.
wait, theres a problem there.......
i think 12 IS gun whoring.........

but resale is great to get a used marker, and who doesnt want quality products for half or less their original value?

biggest part of stupidity ive seen was people selling their DM4's for $250-350 to get the "OMG SO DIFFERENT DM5"....
odd when the only difference i see was a SLIGHT milling change

Arstron
01-03-2006, 08:53 AM
I am a gun whore was well, but I mostly whore with mags. I love building custom mags and then selling them so I can build another custom mag and then sell it. I have had my hands on a b2k, couple spyders, a cocker or two. With the prices like they are, its a nice way to try new guns and see if any other guns fit you better then your current one. When you buy used, you can usualy resale it and not be out any or atleast not much money. :dance:

athomas
01-03-2006, 09:01 AM
I personally love the low resale prices on used equipment. I almost never buy new anymore. I just wait a year and get the same item, hardly used, for half the price of new. As previously mentioned, if you buy used you can usually get most of your money back if you decide to resell it later, because most of the depreciation is gone on the first sale.

WARPED1
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
www.pbgunwhore.com :D :dance:

shartley
01-03-2006, 10:31 AM
There is nothing wrong with gun whoring. But I agree that no-one should complain about poor resale prices. As others have stated that is just the way of things.

BUT…. That actually makes gun whoring easier. You just don’t get brand new markers! Look for markers that are still great (sorry, just having a new model come out does not make the others suddenly “not good” they are still the same markers they sold you as being GREAT) that you can get at much more affordable prices. And then if you sell it, you will lose less of your investment since markers who have had 3 owners don’t depreciate in proportion to those who have had 1 and now is “used”.

Yes, there is a silver lining in almost anything if you look for it….
:headbang:

slade
01-03-2006, 10:51 AM
There is nothing wrong with gun whoring. But I agree that no-one should complain about poor resale prices. As others have stated that is just the way of things.

BUT…. That actually makes gun whoring easier. You just don’t get brand new markers! Look for markers that are still great (sorry, just having a new model come out does not make the others suddenly “not good” they are still the same markers they sold you as being GREAT) that you can get at much more affordable prices. And then if you sell it, you will lose less of your investment since markers who have had 3 owners don’t depreciate in proportion to those who have had 1 and now is “used”.

Yes, there is a silver lining in almost anything if you look for it….
:headbang:
but, if you feel the need for the newest markers, you take a huge loss. you especially take a loss if you upgrade. it seems the stock brand name and milling that comes with it matters more.

WARPED1
01-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I've been a gun whore since I sold my Tribals.........................

shartley
01-03-2006, 11:02 AM
but, if you feel the need for the newest markers, you take a huge loss. you especially take a loss if you upgrade. it seems the stock brand name and milling that comes with it matters more.
And I say if you are the type that needs the newest marker even though you have one that is more than fine, you have nothing to complain about. Know how things are and then decide what you want to do. KNOW that once you buy a marker it will drop in value. KNOW that this happens with almost every product you buy. KNOW that you will not get what you put into a marker (unless you buy one beat up and restore it to sell it again) if you decide to sell it.

I find it hard to feel bad for folks who are never satisfied with what they have and then complain when they don’t get as much for their used equipment as they got it for new. Sorry.
:(

slade
01-03-2006, 11:10 AM
And I say if you are the type that needs the newest marker even though you have one that is more than fine, you have nothing to complain about. Know how things are and then decide what you want to do. KNOW that once you buy a marker it will drop in value. KNOW that this happens with almost every product you buy. KNOW that you will not get what you put into a marker (unless you buy one beat up and restore it to sell it again) if you decide to sell it.

I find it hard to feel bad for folks who are never satisfied with what they have and then complain when they don’t get as much for their used equipment as they got it for new. Sorry.
:(
well, i wasnt talking about myself. just in general. the only marker ive ever bought new was my mag, and that was because they didnt go for much less used... but that was a mistake. my mag fully upgraded cost about the same as my freestyle, matrix and mech cocker together.

KNOW that you will not get what you put into a marker (unless you buy one beat up and restore it to sell it again) if you decide to sell it
hah, i love that. <3 $100 matrix <3

shartley
01-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Nah, I was not talking about "you" but in general. It's all good. :)

nato
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
yea, i was whoreish but threw away those days of sin and now am a on gun kinda guy... I have two divorces from a trauma trix that I was with for a year, then my xmag that we were happily married for over a yea, and I am currently in a relationship with my ego since last year. :dance:

slade
01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
my first relationship was with a piranha, which i put some work into but it just didnt work out. i dumped her after about half a year to a year. then i met my RT ULE custom through WWA, which was a great relationship for quite a while, but i just wasnt satisfied. then i met my lovely freestyle "flo", who had just had a bad relationship with someone else who just didnt treat her right. ive been married to her for about a year; i treat her real well and love her, but im not sure its entirely working out. ive cheated on her for a little bit with a matrix i met, as well as a cocker. neither of those really worked out, and, although flo was so much better, im still not satisfied. i really feel the need for a cyborg; the 06's are sexy, but i think i would be satisfied with an 04 i could love.

WenULiVeUdiE
01-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Maybe I was one of the few who noticed it, but it seemed like resale rose alittle bit over the past week or so and if it did, it makes sense. Kids got money for Christmas or Hanukah and had more money to spend. You know the rest...

Eventually, the market is just going to implode on itself...

etjoyride
01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Good lord, you all are having sexual relationships with your markers....AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

slade
01-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Good lord, you all are having sexual relationships with your markers....AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
...you dont? :eek:

Mind'sEye
01-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Someday when the dust clears and players begin to drop out of the race for the latest "super gun", folks will go back to the gun that always felt best to them and find true happiness. :)

slade
01-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Someday when the dust clears and players begin to drop out of the race for the latest "super gun", folks will go back to the gun that always felt best to them and find true happiness. :)
...or maybe theyll just always want the newest version.

etjoyride
01-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Not anymore :ninja:

ThePixelGuru
01-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I started off playing one tournament with my friend's Impulse and didn't do so well. Switched back to the old familiar Minimag and kicked some ***. I always feel like the marker you're most comfortable with will work best for you.

CoolHand
01-03-2006, 10:59 PM
i think 12 IS gun whoring.........

No sir.

If you buy the marker and never intend to sell it, the behavior moves from "whoring" to "collecting" ;)

It's a fine line, but I walk it daily.

:rofl:

BigEvil
01-03-2006, 11:06 PM
No sir.

If you buy the marker and never intend to sell it, the behavior moves from "whoring" to "collecting" ;)

It's a fine line, but I walk it daily.

:rofl:

Being a whore is much more fun :D