PDA

View Full Version : Best value

grEnAlEins
01-04-2006, 01:59 AM
What is the best value marker for a beginner? I have some cousins that may be interested in buying markers. I took the whole group paintballing last Thursday and they loved every second of it :dance: . They wanna start playing, on a recreational basis of course. There is always the tippmann 98. Trilogy maybe? Mags are nice (DUH!) but few places carry them :cry: and they will want new markers. Mongoose? Silver Bullet?

Thanks,

Nick

SpitFire1299
01-04-2006, 03:08 AM
I would have to go with the tippmann 98. If there doing some more "speedball" type of stuff, then the trilogy. Both are very cheap and easy to manage. :)

Jasonl619
01-04-2006, 03:35 AM
you can still buy mags new from airgun.com. They still sell the minimag and the revamped classic.

Lohman446
01-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Piranha Evo - Sub $200, eyes, pretty simple operation (Spyder clone), PMI customer service.

In a way it depends on what you have around you too.

grEnAlEins
01-04-2006, 12:37 PM
you can still buy mags new from airgun.com. They still sell the minimag and the revamped classic.

I know, but if they bust somthing, loose the feild strip screw, there is no place to get another quickly (same day). I guess they could drive to AGD HQ, its still in Wheeling right? Do they allow this?

We also live near PMI HQ unless that moved, it is still on Howard in Des Plaines, right?

Diablo HQ, Action Village and a host of others are in the area as well, especially in or near Elk Grove Village (which is where Action Village is, and I believe Diablo moved there too).

There are also BBT everywhere, which has no mags. If Agd allows "drop in" service, than that is a big plus, as it would be with PMI or Diablo. Does anyone know if they allow this?

I would have to go with the tippmann 98. If there doing some more "speedball" type of stuff, then the trilogy. Both are very cheap and easy to manage.

They will be playing a good mix of woods (at promised land so ill be sure to get them jerseys, lol) and at Blackrain if I go there again. We are playing again today at Factory PB in N Chicago.

Thanks for your help dudes

Nick

etjoyride
01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
if they are going to play both woodsball and speedball about evenly, then i would definitly go with the Piranha evo. If they're going to play primarily in the woods the go with the 98

peewee
01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Pmi EVO, best bang for your buck . Even the newer 05 pmi gti is very good, but for a few buck more the EVO is the best deal going. My son has had an eforce srt for a year now with no issues.

68magOwner
01-04-2006, 02:33 PM
honestly, a used DM3 has to be the best value in paintball. You can get one with some upgrades for $250ish, and it will perform as good as any marker out today.

if you want to get the MOST for your money, id say thats the way to go

grEnAlEins
01-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I would tell them to buy used, but they all want brand new guns.

I looked at an Evo at Sports Authority, looked good. That is what i will probably push them towards

SCpoloRicker
01-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Piranha Evo - Sub $200, eyes, pretty simple operation (Spyder clone), PMI customer service.

Usefull posts: 6

GT
01-05-2006, 01:02 PM
What is the best value marker for a beginner? I have some cousins that may be interested in buying markers. I took the whole group paintballing last Thursday and they loved every second of it :dance: . They wanna start playing, on a recreational basis of course. There is always the tippmann 98. Trilogy maybe? Mags are nice (DUH!) but few places carry them :cry: and they will want new markers. Mongoose? Silver Bullet?

Thanks,

Nick

New: 98's are great, esp for the rogue paintballing (no field)
Used: Classic mag (100-150) or Shoe box shocker

Cow hunter
01-05-2006, 03:49 PM
why do these markers have to be new?
from what ive heard,
trigliogy sport;solid built, good begginer gun
dialbo; easy to maintain ecectros $250 or less
98;look stupid in speedball ;) , super solid, almost everyone has one....
mag; well whats there to say? simple, fast,most reliable gun, probably best value(parts are cheap, they're easy to fix, and upgreades arent really expensive

Lohman446
01-05-2006, 04:05 PM
mag; well whats there to say? simple, fast,most reliable gun, probably best value(parts are cheap, they're easy to fix, and upgreades arent really expensive

Parts and upgrades are cheap? Compared to what?

buzzboy
01-05-2006, 04:07 PM
If you have a large group and nobody wants to spend too much then just get mech spyders like Xtras, TLs, victors or rodeos. I mean, they are great beginner guns and you can just slap on an esp frame and have a great little electro marker for cheap.

mastershake44
01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
given the fact i am representing the noobs, i would get an autococker. The mongooses are hard to get parts for from a local shop-type place, and, Psycho Ballistics went out of buisiness (i heard that from the guy at the local shop here) and i bet, if theyre just starting out, theyll want to brag they have a cocker.

Chronobreak
01-05-2006, 04:14 PM
m98/a-5 rt soemthing liek that

the basic 98 custom kit for like $150 with mask tank and hopper is agreat deal and not a huge investment for a beginner and isnt a bad gun should they choose to keep it for a longer period of time

also maintenance isnt really an issue at all.

basicly safety is the importance for beginners

anything below $70~ is really abd choice

those cheap avenger and other spyder clones are more work than they are worth and very poor quality and virtualy no consistency.

invest a bit more $ into the sport and have fun instead of messing with gear

OH and DONT FORGET a ncie pair of thermal lenses :D

VFX_Fenix
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
New guns in the "Bang for Buck" catagory need to go hands down to Kingman USA Products (Spyders) and their clones. There's little to go wrong with them, they'll last for a few seasons of hard use and upgrade/replacement parts are numerous and avalible just about anywhere.

Tippmann M98C's are bullet proof, simple as that. They're a bit more expensive than the Spyder(clones) and lack some of the out of the box firepower but still have a nice upgrade path for most applications.

For my piece I'd say the Spyder to get rolling since they have a layout which is very similar to virtually every other pneumatic ram driven gun out there if "Space Gun" is the order of the day. Personally I'd stick to Kingman since I've had good luck with them in the past. If the gun will be a long-time investment I'd go the M98C route, again, because of the durability of the piece and the more-or-less divergent nature of the upgrade paths of the M98 for both more serious recrational or even entry level tournament play and scenario play.

Things to consider though, how mechanically inclined are the future owners and will they be comfortable dealing with wires if they go the electro route, even if it is just a sear tripper without an eye harness.

If you have faith in your cousins then an Ion or Diablo Wrath would also be good choices, just be aware that the more features there are on a gun the more there is to go wrong or be broken either through ignorance or incident. Also be aware that the faster the gun can shoot, the more expensive the entire package will be because of other purchases, i.e. REVY/HALO/EVO II and HPA for the entry level e/P guns.

Cow hunter
01-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Parts and upgrades are cheap? Compared to what?
compared to everything! well for the most part at least., then you have to consider that there arent as many upgreades for other guns..........well sorta
as for the parts thing, i consider mag parts not too expensive....... because, well, what parts are there that need replacing? 10 cent o-rings and shims?

11 Bravo
01-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Brag they have a Cocker? :(

Lohman446
01-05-2006, 04:54 PM
compared to everything! well for the most part at least., then you have to consider that there arent as many upgreades for other guns..........well sorta
as for the parts thing, i consider mag parts not too expensive....... because, well, what parts are there that need replacing? 10 cent o-rings and shims?

You lost me on that. Personally I think you lost you somewhere in that reply too.

Tunaman
01-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Just get the Mags. You will be much happier in the long run. Email me and I will hook all of you guys up for CHEAP. I'll provide spare parts and all...everything you might need. I have TONS of new and used guns and parts ;) here...

warbeak2099
01-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Evo, great rec gun. Wish they had them when I was starting.

Cow hunter
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
You lost me on that. Personally I think you lost you somewhere in that reply too.
mmmm hmmm.......... yeah, i guess you were right after all.....

noahyay
01-05-2006, 05:19 PM
98 custom

or a race framed cocker

lather
01-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Strongly encourage them to spend money on a good high quality thermal mask first and then worry about what gun to get. Safety and comfort should be the initial concern for beginners (and experienced players).

What marker is best doesnt really matter much to rank beginners. If they end up really getting into the sport its only a matter of time before they upgrade to something else that suits their playing style.

grEnAlEins
01-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Just get the Mags. You will be much happier in the long run. Email me and I will hook all of you guys up for CHEAP. I'll provide spare parts and all...everything you might need. I have TONS of new and used guns and parts ;) here...

Tuna I am definately interested, in fact I want my family to start out with mags. I still have my 68 classic, it atill works great after years of abuse. I will call everyone over the next couple of days and PM or Email you with numbers of those that are interested.

As for everyone else, thanks for your asistance and sharing of opinions. They will all have thermal lenses, I assure you.

Thanks all,

Nick

Coralis
01-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Well whatever you choose do yourself a favor and get the same type of gun for all of them that way youll only have to learn how to tech one gun.... If you decide to get a 98's make sure that under NO circumstance do you let anyone take their guns apart (those things are a beast to put back together especially for a noob). Anyway good luck with your purchase.