PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea or a good idea?

Arstron
01-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I have a z-grip that I bought recently that is from the attic sale, no engraving on it at all and it has wings for a classic rail. Now I also have a set of pneumatic parts laying here that I have already modified and simply needs a frame to go into. Even though it is one of the frames from the attic sale, it is still a rare find. Would you consider it to be sacrilegious for me to cut up this z-grip and turn it into a pneumatic frame? I know its going to take quite a bit of milling, but I belive their is enough wasted meat on the frame that can be removed to make everything fit in it. What are your thoughts?

Here is a picture of her right now. :)

http://webpages.charter.net/arstron/zgrip/Photo_010806_001.jpg

paint magnet
01-06-2006, 04:04 PM
I'd only do it if you're sure of your mechanical abilities. I wouldn't worry about destrying a piece of AGD's history; while they are somewhat rare there are still numerous ones out there. My main concern would be ruining a frame potentially worth up to $150.

If yours is a particularly nice example in excellent condition, I'd recommend picking up an old beat-up frame to use, since you're going to be doing some machine work to it anyway.

buzzboy
01-06-2006, 04:31 PM
As long as the pneumatic install turns out great and doesn't deface the visual part of the frame then go for it. If it will harm teh good looks of the outside of the frame then I wouldn't do it.

zackzel
01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I was seriously thinking about doing the same thing with mine before I sold it so I definatly think you should and let me know how it turns out.

punkncat
01-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I will say it here....I LIKE PIE!!!!

I really couldm't give a s less what you do with your effin Z frame. They were dicontinued cause they suxored.

AGDlover
01-06-2006, 06:01 PM
if you have a mill and can do it cleanly do it, If you have a dremal, file, hammer and a pie....then no

paint magnet
01-06-2006, 06:14 PM
I will say it here....I LIKE PIE!!!!

I really couldm't give a s less what you do with your effin Z frame. They were dicontinued cause they suxored.

They were discontinued because they didn't sell. If you don't care, then don't post.

Cow hunter
01-06-2006, 06:31 PM
personally id like to see how it works..... it would be sweet if you dont mess it up, which is likley becuase i dont think its been done before

Troen
01-06-2006, 06:34 PM
it was done before, i believe. it was the monster mag on vetters gallary before it was shut down. it was phneumag, warp, and every other mod you can do to it. im almost posative he used a z grip

onedude36
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
it was done before, i believe. it was the monster mag on vetters gallary before it was shut down. it was phneumag, warp, and every other mod you can do to it. im almost posative he used a z grip

Yarly. that was a cool pic. I think he put on some of those hoses just for fun, no? i dont think all of them were necessary.

punkncat
01-06-2006, 06:48 PM
They were discontinued because they didn't sell. If you don't care, then don't post.

They didn't sell because they suxored...... :D

Y grip was much more in the right direction.....but 90*, the PERFECT position is already taken care of. Thanks to RPG and Logic. :clap:

Death of Rats
01-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Punk Cat I am just curious if you have actually used a Z grip. Don't just say that they suxored as you put it if you have not.

If you have had one then please tell us why you think that they were so terrible compared to the Y grip if you have shot one of those either.

I am just curious because I have a Y grip, I have a RPG 90 grip and I have seriously thought about getting a Z grip but no one anywhere close to me has one. Love the Y, really dislike the feel of the 90 to sharp on the trigger gaurd and feels to bulky.

One other downside to both of these thou. Neither have the ability to run Dye sticky grips. I must admit every other marker I own except my phantom, will be purchasing them for it soon, runs dye stickies. Have to love those.

But please pray tell about the Z if you don't like the feel. I don't want to randomly spend 150 dollars.

Troen
01-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Yarly. that was a cool pic. I think he put on some of those hoses just for fun, no? i dont think all of them were necessary.
i think so, they were thick lines too. i wasnt sure how he held it

nate2k191
01-06-2006, 11:13 PM
if you do it right and make a sweet mag then go for it, but if you just shred it and it becomes worthless then dont.

CoolHand
01-06-2006, 11:28 PM

The fat ones weren't hoses, they were fiber optic pipes that he used to funnel light up to sensors that he used for timing the beast, and sensing a trigger pull IIRC (since he [again, IIRC] decoupled the sear and the On/Off from one another).

It was very cool, and used a lot of VERY expensive parts (which he didn't pay for). I do remember that he lifted all the parts from his workplace, which I seem to recall was a process control builder of one sort or another (which would explain all the fiber optics and opto sensors laying around).

All the appendages were there for a reason, they just weren't the most elegant way of doing what needed to be done (but they were what he had).

He was just following Teddy Roosevelt, who said "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

:ninja:

shorty24
01-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Am I the only one who needs to see a pic of that 'mag again? :rolleyes:

I remember seeing it somewhere once before, MAN that thing was messed up... Imagine walking on to the local field with that thing, seriously :eek: !

CoolHand
01-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.logicpaintball.com/frankenmag14km.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/frankenmag21xk.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/frankenmag33xp.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/frankenmag47ab.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/frankenmag53ih.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/frankenmag60fo.jpg

That is all.

nate2k191
01-07-2006, 01:26 AM
errr... crazy?

Arstron
01-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Well I dont plan on going anywhere near as extreme as zak did, plus I want to keep as much of my pneumatic parts hidden. I think with enough milling I could hide everything in the grip except one hose that would have to hook up inside of it. I just have to test fit my actuator and lpr regulator to make sure they arent to wide. I am thinking about somthing along the lines of a euro classic RT with warp and an endo cradle to put on this zgrip. Add the light pneumatic trigger and I shouldnt have any problems getting people to stare at it. :D

punkncat
01-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Punk Cat I am just curious if you have actually used a Z grip. Don't just say that they suxored as you put it if you have not.

If you have had one then please tell us why you think that they were so terrible compared to the Y grip if you have shot one of those either.

A good buddy of mine used to own one. I tried on several occations to use it, but the strange position was too hard to get accustomed to, couldn't hit anything. It was quite comfortable for the tucked position, but was just too different. I suppose if I had used it all the time and didn't go back and forth to other 45* framed markers I may have felt different about it.

I have never used a Y grip.

I guess that I am not the only person who felt this way, given that they just didn't sell.

68magOwner
01-07-2006, 03:20 PM
I say go for it if you really think you can do it.

oh, and in referance to punkcats "z grips suckzored, 90*'s rock" comment, I have used every * frame to date, 45*, 80*, 90*, Y grip, Z grip, "humped" 45*'s (like timmy clamshells).

And i prefer the 45* style frames over all others, 90* HAS to be my least favorite by far, the sooner you learn that it all comes down to personal preferance, the better off you will be.

(oh, and, not trying to be a big ***, i do recognize that there was sarcasm in your post, but, meh, just sharing my opinion as you did yours.)

etjoyride
01-07-2006, 03:33 PM
I definetly say go for it, if you make it really clean it would be the coolest pneumag ever.

Also, i don't know if you already have everything, but i have all of the parts needed to make a pneumag(LPR, acuator, 3way, barbs, and hoses). So if you need any PM me.

HOpe you go through with this, it sounds like fun.

Pyroboy597
01-07-2006, 03:36 PM
How does that Monster Mag compare to the other regular ones. Does it really shoot much better?

CoolHand
01-07-2006, 09:04 PM
How does that Monster Mag compare to the other regular ones. Does it really shoot much better?

Well, look at the trigger. The only resistance is that little spring.

This thing is a totally analog version of my electro frame, albeit a vastly uglier version ( :rofl: ).

I'd say once you got around the who super ugly / tangled mess thing, it shot pretty well.

shorty24
01-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

Hey, thanks man!!! :dance:

Arstron
01-13-2006, 10:12 AM
I thought I would go ahead and post up a picture of my zgrip, since the poll results are so close, I wanted to get a little more feedback. :)

craltal
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
A good buddy of mine used to own one. I tried on several occations to use it, but the strange position was too hard to get accustomed to, couldn't hit anything. It was quite comfortable for the tucked position, but was just too different. I suppose if I had used it all the time and didn't go back and forth to other 45* framed markers I may have felt different about it.

I have never used a Y grip.

I guess that I am not the only person who felt this way, given that they just didn't sell.

The Z was angled for a tucked position and works very well there, but does throw the wrist into an odd angle when you are not tucked in, hence the change to the Y's angle.

As for the project, did you buy it as a museum piece or financial investment? Your answer to that question should answer the other one.

Pacifist_Farmer
01-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I assume the Z-grip was intended to be a niche item, its not so much that it didn't sell well but rather that AGD might have been surprised if they had sold well (all speculation).