PDA

View Full Version : old school mag upgrade?

kenb
01-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Hey Everybody,

I've been playing on and off since 90-91 and have been using an automag I bought from my future wife. We're married now and I bought the automag form her around the fall of 95, and she bought it sometime between 91 and 93 I think. The only serial # I seen on the valve reads CF00502 if that means anything. The gun is basically stock. It has the original barrel and frame, the only thing I've upgraded is the bolt and I'm using compressed air instead of co2.

It still works great, but I've had some not so great experiences lately with paint breaking in the crown point barrel, and or chopping balls, since I'm trying to keep up with some of the electrics. So I'd like to get some upgrades, a newer barrel, and I'm not sure if I should go to the level 10, the x-valve or the rv, or if they are all variations of the same. I appreciate any advice on what upgrades to get, and where I should get the upgrades from. I'd also like to not spend a lot of money, or at least spend less than it would take me to buy a new gun, if that's possible.

thanks,

kb

Oldest Sage
01-09-2006, 06:38 AM
A level 10 should take care of your needs.

buzzboy
01-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Lvl 10 and a good 2 finger trigger like chimera, intelli, Y, Z or benchmark.

Pacifist_Farmer
01-09-2006, 08:40 AM
First Step:

Used x-valve (those usually come with a lvl X)
New frame (intelliframe would be fine)

Total approx. = $250

2nd Step:

ULE Body
Cocker Threaded Barrel kit

Total approx. = $200

The first step is probably enough, but by the time you've spent the two amounts you might as well have purchased a new Mag.

KayleAGD
01-09-2006, 08:50 AM
STOP !!!! c00502 is an old gun , if it has not been upgraded it may be level 5 or 6.

could you take a picture of the power tube end of the valve so we can tell what level the valve is..

thanks
Kayle

Arstron
01-09-2006, 09:04 AM
STOP !!!! c00502 is an old gun , if it has not been upgraded it may be level 5 or 6.

could you take a picture of the power tube end of the valve so we can tell what level the valve is..

thanks
Kayle

I was thinking the same thing, dont upgrade this gun, if it is a level 5 you could sell it as is for a nice penny or possibly trade it for an RT. I would love to have a level 5 automag, it would go great in my small collection right next to my zgrip. :)

kenb
01-10-2006, 02:57 AM
I'll try to get some pics on here soon. I was having some php errors with file name and size trying to use the manage attachments button. I'm not familiar with how to tell what level a valve is. When you say you'd like a picture of the power tube end of the valve, do you just mean that half of the valve that has the power tube? If so, which side should I take a picture of?

thanks,

kb

FinchMan
01-10-2006, 03:18 AM
I'll try to get some pics on here soon. I was having some php errors with file name and size trying to use the manage attachments button. I'm not familiar with how to tell what level a valve is. When you say you'd like a picture of the power tube end of the valve, do you just mean that half of the valve that has the power tube? If so, which side should I take a picture of?

thanks,

kb

when you take the valve out, then take the bolt off, thats the power tube tip

the on-site image hosting/uploading doesn't work too well. If you can use an alternate site to upload images, such as tinypic.com, and put a link up that would work better.

kenb
01-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks. I just farted around with the comcast build your own web site, here's a url with pics. They're ginormous.

http://home.comcast.net/~kboltz1/automag_pics.html

thanks,

kb

athomas
01-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Since it is a powerfeed body with a crownpoint barrel, I would have to say it is a level 7. It is one of the early ones though. If you do upgrade it, keep the original parts to convert it back to its original form in the future.

Depending on what you want done, it may be just a simple upgrade of a level 10 bolt to prevent chops, or you may want a lot of changes.

Barrel breaks may be caused by a broken nubbin.

If you want a long list of upgrades, you would probably be better served buying a newer rt pro.

Ace12GA
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Now thats a classic mag.

Tunaman
01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Its not a level 7. Its a level 5 or 6. The powertube weld is missing which means no level 7. Hold on to this one. Not many around anymore... ;)

The Action Figure
01-10-2006, 10:11 PM
do you have the original bolt?

oh and regular classics sell for like 125

thats worth over 400 id say keep it, dont shoot it, and keep everything original

that mag will only go up in value

minimag03
01-10-2006, 10:33 PM
If you want to upgrade to an overall better mag, just buy a new one. It will be cheaper in the long run when compared to upgrading your current Mag.

These are my suggested websites to buy from. They will be able to help you with everything you need...

1) Email "Tunaman" who posted in this thread. He owns www.tunamart.com.

2) http://www.logicpaintball.com/

3) www.themagsmith.com

I'd choose the one that was closest to me because they will all give you great service.

I'd keep the mag you have as is for right now. There aren't a lot left like it.

VHS_Pb_Club
01-10-2006, 10:40 PM
:wow: sweet gun man, keep the mag!
you can also find uped mags on the forum for about $300 to $350 with intelli, ule,level 10, ult, barrel kits, e/rt/or x-valves. that should be pretty good against electros :shooting:

Arstron
01-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Its not a level 7. Its a level 5 or 6. The powertube weld is missing which means no level 7. Hold on to this one. Not many around anymore... ;)

So level 7 valves are not welded? I had thought that agd started welding the valves after the level 7's was released, but i guess they started welding level 5 or 6 valves when the level 7 was released? :)

kenb
01-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Thanks everybody. So it's a level 6 according to the manual. Yes, I still have it. I do have the original bolt, but no foam bumpers.

Arstron
01-11-2006, 08:11 AM
I am currious, I have a valve numbered 40784 that the power tube unscrews from, becuse of the high number ive assumed it was a level 7, could this be a level 5 or 6 bolt?

KayleAGD
01-11-2006, 11:14 AM
looks like to me the valve was upgrade to level 7 . the level 5, 6, and 6.5 guns had the power tube held in by a spiral retaining ring , kinda like a snap ring.
origional level 7 upgrades had the power tube silversoldered into the reg. later in level 7 production the power tubes were screwed in and locktighted. after some began to become loose the screwin powertubes were then laser welded to keep them from backing out.

Arstron
01-11-2006, 11:41 AM
looks like to me the valve was upgrade to level 7 . the level 5, 6, and 6.5 guns had the power tube held in by a spiral retaining ring , kinda like a snap ring.
origional level 7 upgrades had the power tube silversoldered into the reg. later in level 7 production the power tubes were screwed in and locktighted. after some began to become loose the screwin powertubes were then laser welded to keep them from backing out.

Ok thank you, after reading tunas post I thought my memory was playing tricks on me again.

skife
01-11-2006, 01:11 PM
do you have the original bolt?

oh and regular classics sell for like 125

thats worth over 400 id say keep it, dont shoot it, and keep everything original

that mag will only go up in value

why not shoot it? its a mag, its stainless steel.
pretty much indestructiable.

paint magnet
01-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Nice mag, don't see too many with the backbottle mounts any more. I'd hold on to that one and keep it exactly like it is.

If you're having a lot of problems breaking paint, have you changed/adjusted the nubbin lately? Putting in a plastic nubbin might help as well. You could also try a different barrel, twistlock barrels go for next to nothing used these days.

Muzikman
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Wow, an original Zinc frame in what looks to be in amazing condition. I would honestly just keep the gun as is, put it on the wall and admire it, but that's just me. If you should ever want to sell that gun, let me know. There are not many with that low of a serial number in that good of shape (you didn't play much did ya? ;) )

Arstron
01-12-2006, 02:26 PM
just out of curriousity, does the rail have a extra slot in running from the front to the sear slot area? (for a pump kit) Also does the body have a thin (roughly 1/4"), or a thick (roughly 1/2") hole for where the sear interacts with the bolt? :D

Pump bodies and rails are worth more then the regular bodies and are getting hard to find. Like muzikman said, you should keep it like it is and hang it on your wall, I wouldnt change anything on that mag.

paint magnet
01-12-2006, 11:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, pump bodies came later on in the scene...

*edit*

Muzik, ClassicMagger has a level 5 gun for sale if you're looking to buy.

athomas
01-14-2006, 10:59 AM

Here are pics of my level 7 classic for reference.

http://automag.thomasweb.ca/classic-a.jpg

http://automag.thomasweb.ca/classic-b.jpg

Note the absence of weld on my level 7.

cioeboy
01-14-2006, 08:40 PM
you guys have been talking about level 5-7 and difference or lack of welds and i noticed a weird type of weld on my minimag valve the number is MM08240 and i was wondering what is it

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/2663/powertube2jb.gif
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/2996/tip2lv.gif

pachytriton
01-14-2006, 09:36 PM
^thats defineately a level 7. I just noticed that my power tube tip isn't welded on either. It's #cf10382.