PDA

View Full Version : This won't work will it

capn' krunch
12-12-2001, 03:56 PM
i saw this posted in another forum, this is someones I dea on how to hotrod a mag.
I also put a link at the bottom so you guys can reply to the original post.
Here is what he wrote:

"Now, a lot of this stuff I have not tried yet and am not sure that I will. I like my pretty much stock mag. We are talking about maximizing a guns performance. But there is not a huge difference between a well set up stock mag and a tricked mag.

I believe that all high end guns are pretty much equal as far as accuracy and range.

Accuracy is a function of velocity consistancy (shot to shot) and paint to barrel match. While range is a matter of velocity.

So, all that being said lets maximize your mag. First match up your barrel and paint. Get several bore size barrels if you have to.

Next, make your shot to shot velocity as even as possible. This is easiest with HPA. What is the single most important componant to a level velocity? The regulator. While the A.I.R. reg on the mag is pretty good it is not THE best made. What is? I like the Max Flow reg best and would argue that it is the best. Many people say the Stabalizer. I like the Max flow because it is self balancing. In order to balance your input pressure to your gun as your tank empties you have to have a second reg unless using a maxflow.

So pick your reg. Next, open your mag and remove the reg pin. You should buy an after market regulator body. I don't think that the type matters. Gut the internals (spring pack, piston, etc). This part is no longer a regulator body it is now a low pressure chamber. It is easier to stabalize input pressure if you have a larger air chamber.

That is it. Some people have written about changing out the on/off and the on/off top and other internal parts to increase air flow. I don't think that this helps but you can see if you can get your input pressure lower.

To summarize; we have added a low pressure chamber in place of the stock internal mag regulator. We have replaced the AIR with a superior regulator.

Now your input pressure will be about 350 to 450 psi. You will have about 400 psi pushing against the on/off which will soften you trigger a little. If you still want it softer add a z-valve. They work well.

If you are using CO2 you can double regulate to help keep liquid out of the gun. Just use a horizontal reg and an inline-vertical reg. Set the first at about 800 psi and the second about 400. You will now use the regulator that is controlling the input pressure to the gun to adjust the velocity.

Now, these are not my ideas. They are just things that I have seen around that seem to make sense.

Try them if you want. I may do a little test one of these days with my maxflow system. Palmers of Palmers Pursuit shop in Sacramento used to do some of these type of modifications back when there was only CO2 and the mag was THE only gun to use.

Have Fun & post some opinions
DS "
IF YOU WANT TO REPLY HERE IS THE POST
click here (http://pub47.ezboard.com/fpaintballoregonfrm23.showMessage?topicID=3.topic)

Muzikman
12-12-2001, 04:49 PM
Yes, it works, is it better, not really. This has been done many times and I have even tried it myself years ago. There are a few things I noticed (or better yet, didn't notice). The consistancy was no batter than a stock A.I.R. reg and running a good HPA system. Second it did nothing with the trigger, never made it any lighter. What it did do was make the gun more complicated and less safe. Since you are gutting the A.I.R. you are also now eliminating the nice over preasureized blow off safty feature in the A.I.R. piston. What you gain is not worth the $100 spent on the seondary reg.

I do agee with the comment about the MaxFlow being a great reg. I'm not sure about the best, but it is up in the top 3 or 4.

Cha0tic
12-12-2001, 04:54 PM
what would you think is better for flow?

air from tank, go staright into a reg that is attatched to the valve.

air from tank, go through vertical reg, go into gutted reg, then go into valve.

i would think about shootdown at higher bps