PDA

View Full Version : Paintball markers + college dorms

paint magnet
01-13-2006, 12:34 AM
I recently signed a housing contract for the university I'll most likely be attending next fall. I could go into details, but basically it boils down to the fact that I can't keep certain items in my dorm, namely fireworks, firearms, and paintball guns. While this is understandable, it presents a problem for me as I live about an hour and a half away and there are fields near the campus.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Can I just keep my stuff in my car and be ok?

BD_Paintball
01-13-2006, 12:37 AM
ppl that are on the UWW team with me and my brother just keep their stuff in the car. i live in an apt so i have no problems but if you keep it in your car and dont tell alot of people you should be fine.

neppo1345
01-13-2006, 01:13 AM
I keep mine in my dorm during our playing season...

As long as you don't carry it in openly, flash it around at people, tell everyone about it, show it to everyone, dry fire it, or cause any trouble...they don't care/won't ever know...

just keep it tucked away in a duffle bag with all your gear...hell...i walk in and out of my dorm with a pack, a big *** toolbox and a hard sided silver locking gun case and they didn't say a thing

Just don't give them a reason to search your room...

Duzzy
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
At first I tried complying with their rules. I kept my markers in the gun safe and all of my other equipment in my room.

However, the gun safe was never open on weekends because the people in charge didn't want the "added responsibility" and the lady who ran it during the week was never around. One time it took me 3 days to get in touch with her.

Their new policy is that "paint guns" are to be left at home and if you really want to use them go home and get them and then leave them at home when you're done. Nice for me, I only live 8 hours from home... Over 400 miles and 3 mountain ranges and back again? Nope, don't think so.

So now I keep everything in my Dorm during the winter (I have this hunch that -20+ temps wouldn't be good for the markers...) and in the car when the weather warms. I tried, they refused to help me out, so now I am doing it my way.

And I justify having them by calling them "Pnuematic Dusters" because I can't afford a "Swifter" thingy and I don't want a feather duster. I need a mans duster! (Hey, it makes me feel better...)

FromTheBack
01-13-2006, 01:33 AM
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1245721

The above post will help you out, got a lot of answers from guys at colleges all over the place. The best thing they said in summary is just as neppo said. Put it in the back of the closet in a bag and dont give them reason to search the room. Personally Im going to get a paintball marker locker set up on campus that I will have a key to for my club, but that took a whole semester and BS to accomplish.

Vex
01-13-2006, 04:10 AM
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1245721

The above post will help you out, got a lot of answers from guys at colleges all over the place.
There are people on PbN who are old enough for college?

MisterBones25
01-13-2006, 08:30 AM
the RA's realy dont care, just keep it out of sight and dont tell to many people and you will be fine. i usualy keep my pack and mask sitting on my bag and nobody thinks anything of it.

DSR75
01-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I live in Charlotte and a large number of the police play paintball as well as firemen and emts. Go to the PD and try and get their help. Or even better, if you know a cop, talk to them about the laws and how to interpret them and see if they can help.

Tao
01-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Unless you have a Walmart speacial I would not leave it in your car. Keep the tank in the car so if they question you you can say that there is no way you can operate your gun...

FromTheBack
01-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Look up the state Statute that mentions weapons on campus. The North Carolina one says it is a misdemenor if you are found with an "air rifle" (which is the category paintball markers fall into) BUT if you have a school officials approval its fine to keep it on campus.

The Action Figure
01-13-2006, 01:49 PM
dan where are u going

paint magnet
01-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Probably Winthrop...maybe Upstate if I decide I want to stay in town, or Wofford if I get accepted. Ultimately I'll probably end up transferring to Clemson.

OhMyAMoose
01-13-2006, 02:08 PM
here is a little hint about college.... THEY DON'T CARE! - Your RA won't care one bit if you have your gun in your room. Just hide it so people wont see it! When you want to play just stick it in a backpack or something. Its not like seeing a backpack around a college campus is something people notice...

The Action Figure
01-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Probably Winthrop...maybe Upstate if I decide I want to stay in town, or Wofford if I get accepted. Ultimately I'll probably end up transferring to Clemson.

Im prolly going to North Greenville or Anderson then transfeing to Clemson

BobTheCow
01-13-2006, 02:33 PM
here is a little hint about college.... THEY DON'T CARE! - Your RA won't care one bit if you have your gun in your room.
That may be the most generalized piece of crap statement I've read all week. Congrats.

Every state is different. Every school is different. Every residence hall at each school is different, and every RA in each of those halls is different. There's no single universal code of what everybody will "care" about and what they won't.

I got in a ton of trouble first semester for what many would consider BS reasons, because the RA's that involved themselves with my roommate and I decided to pursue the incidents as much as possible. On the other hand, the RA of my hall is one of the coolest guys I've ever had the honor of meeting, and couldn't care less about most of the minor rule infractions.

If this is really important to you, do research on your specific situation, in the order I mentioned above. State laws, school rules, then, if you can, talk to people about specific residence halls and RA's, and the school's actual attitude in general. And if you decide to go ahead and break some rules, don't get bitter if they choose to enforce them and punish you. It's your own choice.

UTDragun
01-13-2006, 03:18 PM
You can get away with all kinds of crazy stuff. I own a Humungous bag to haul all my lacrosse stuff in. Im smuggled everything from small people (no joke! visitng hours are lame) to kegs (go in back door, take elevator, really heavy, might require two people.) in that thing.

MisterBones25
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Every state is different. Every school is different. Every residence hall at each school is different, and every RA in each of those halls is different. There's no single universal code of what everybody will "care" about and what they won't.

this is true. MOST RA's though wont search through your stuff or try to get you in trouble. thankfully i have not had one yet. if you make it obvious then they will have to do their job and take action. if you leave it in your bag, even if the bag is in plain sight, they wont do anything. if you do take it out of your bag, close your door, and pick carefully who you tell about it. and also find out if your roomate is cool with it and dont piss him off. :cheers:

nippinout
01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
The dorm that I lived in had a rule where the RA could not enter your room unless you are clearly violating the rules.

For instance, I could be drinking in my dorm with the door wide open. As long as the RA could not see it occuring, everything would be okay. They can poke their heads in and look around, and if they could not see any infractions, they cannot come in. Don't be an idiot. If you have something like a toaster which violates the rules, they can come in. Don't give them a reason they could use to come in.

VFX_Fenix
01-13-2006, 03:40 PM
The (un)Official policy is that so long as you keep them well away all the time as long as you're on campus you'll be okay.

The California State University/University of California school bylaws classify paintball guns are firearms and as such are illegal on CSU/UC campuses. If there's a paintball club on your campus you may be able to talk to them and see how they handle their member's gear who live in the dorms. So far the current official stance is to have a friend hold onto your gear who lives off campus for us, however we do have hopes that we'll be able to get current card carying club members the privilege of being able to store all their gear in their dorms without confiscation if they happen to be found.

AcemanPB
01-13-2006, 04:07 PM
I keep my gun in my room, I know it's against the rules but I never really thought twice about it. It stays in my gear bag and it only sees the light of day while I'm at the field so I figure it's not hurting anyone. And at my school the RA's are not allowed to search your room. If they poke their heads in and see beer bottles everywhere they might do something but they can't come in my room and open my fridge and look for it.

I think you'll be fine...

grEnAlEins
01-13-2006, 04:23 PM
I keep my three markers (the three I brought with me anyways) in my car. It is no big deal, I take my car with me when I play, and as for theft, it is covered on my car insurrance, so I'm good. The cold is no good, but no big deal.

Nick

SummaryJudgement
01-13-2006, 04:39 PM
A buddy of mine played football for UF. He had a pellet gun in his closet and got in trouble when someone found out. He wasn't using it or anything, he just brought it with him when he moved into a dorm. However, it was against campus rules to keep firearms/fireworks/airguns in your room or on campus. :(

JeepinCalifornia
01-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I agree with the "out of sight, out of mind" principle; and don't give them a reason to throw the rules at you. If they are dwelling on the issue of safety, you could try keeping your tank in your trunk and your bolt/valve in your glove box...heck, your grip frame or barrel, too, whatever it takes, but try the least costly pieces, one at a time(?). If they bring up the saftey issue, explain that it would be impossible to operate your marker given its dismantled state; but you can't keep an expensive marker in the car, as that's not secure either...

AcemanPB
01-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Leaving it in your car is not always a good idea, I go to Georgia Tech which is in Atlanta. I wouldn't leave spare change in my car unless I wanted it broken into.

ThePixelGuru
01-13-2006, 05:11 PM
At UMass, I think markers are banned in dorm rooms, but I keep mine there anyway. I'm one of the officers for the paintball club, so I feel that would give me some backing if I ever got crap for it. I've previously kept my markers in gear bags and out of sight, but I've been known to pull them out and work on them from time to time, sometimes with my door open. Oh well. Now I've got a locking case for them, though, which is probably the best idea.

Paintball markers are one of those things that are probably forbidden, but I doubt anyone really cares if you play paintball and have your markers around. Check with your school's paintball club if you've got one, though. They'd know best.

grEnAlEins
01-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I agree with the "out of sight, out of mind" principle...

That doesnt matter if the school doesnt, they can kick you out of housing or worse the school. Also, leaving it in your car is best because your car insurance will cover it, depending on plan (mine does).

SPECK
01-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Bring it in using a dufflebag, it isn't like they will search you, lol.

If for some reason you cannot, keep it in a wierd place in the car. Like in the trunk, under the material where the spare tire goes, take the tire out and put it in there, then just leave the spare tire in the trunk itself.

I dunno, :tard:

TDonovan
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I might have asked my RA if it was okay, I don't remember. Either way, NOBODY has ever searched my room. Just don't tell anyone, never take it out, and keep it in the back of your closet. The staff does not have the time, resources, or energy to search in everyone's room. They're going to be more worried about people storing alcohol/drugs and making a ruckus. So long as you give them no reason, they will not bother you.

paint magnet
01-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Paintball markers are one of those things that are probably forbidden, but I doubt anyone really cares if you play paintball and have your markers around. Check with your school's paintball club if you've got one, though. They'd know best.

75% female = no paintball club :(

I do, however, like the odds :D

So is it better to ask the RA and keep it somewhat disassembled, or just not to mention it at all (as they say, it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission)?

*edit*

The contract actually mentions paintball guns by names...it lists fireworks, airguns, "paintball guns," etc., otherwise the "it's not a gun it's a marker" argument might hold up.

Dark Side
01-13-2006, 09:07 PM
It's not a marker, its an asortment of parts and pieces which at any given moment may or may not become something else intirely. :headbang:

Did the same thing whens I lived in the barracks at both Air Force bases that I'v been stationed at. Keep it in your locker. don't let anyone know about them. You'll be fine.

nate2k191
01-14-2006, 01:34 AM
yea

1. take it apart
2. car
3. hide
4. depends on your RA/dorm

i had my on display because it was so beautiful, but they saw it when they checked fire alarms and sent me a not to remove it- i put it in my car.

space_weazel_45
01-14-2006, 06:03 AM
It is your responsibility to keep it enclosed in something and out of sight, don’t tell your friends don’t ask your RA, it’s your secret, keep it that way. Any time its out, close the blinds and the door and lock it, so no one walks in. if you are caught with it you CAN be kicked out of the dorm, presenting you with an immediate housing problem. Protect yourself first here. And think before you do something you regret.

Mer
01-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Rent a small storage locker at one of those "U Store It" places. The smallest ones are around $20 per month. Divide this up between a few other people you play with and you're all set.

mobsterboy
01-14-2006, 12:55 PM
hmm, well, i guess i cant say that i know where you're coming from, being that Im going to G-Tech for 2 years, transferring to USC, and my Sis will have an apt(hopefully) or I will just keep it in my car. Best guess is just disassemble it, and never bring your tank back full. So, uh, what are you doing in October... :p (see the OGD thread)

mag88888
01-14-2006, 01:44 PM
I wouldnt worry about it at all. As everyone has been saying, as long as you dont tell everyone and dryfire it in the hallway then the RA wont care. While my bro was in UVM dorms, noone bothered him. Now he has his own apartment but anyways... He had a paintball gun there for a little bit. And even so, he said sometimes cops would just come through the dorms and knock on random people's doors looking for trouble. He says you dont have to open the door. Just say "no." Of course here the cops are real dicks. SO as long as you keep it quiet I'm thinkng youll be completely fine.

OhMyAMoose
01-14-2006, 03:58 PM
That may be the most generalized piece of crap statement I've read all week. Congrats.

I got in a ton of trouble first semester for what many would consider BS reasons, because the RA's that involved themselves with my roommate and I decided to pursue the incidents as much as possible. On the other hand, the RA of my hall is one of the coolest guys I've ever had the honor of meeting, and couldn't care less about most of the minor rule infractions.

If this is really important to you, do research on your specific situation, in the order I mentioned above. State laws, school rules, then, if you can, talk to people about specific residence halls and RA's, and the school's actual attitude in general. And if you decide to go ahead and break some rules, don't get bitter if they choose to enforce them and punish you. It's your own choice.
no, I stick by my statement. No one will care, as long as you are not stupid, if you have a paintball gun in your room.

wanna-b-ballin'
01-14-2006, 04:22 PM
i'm probably going to switch over to stock class while i'm in college, and leave my semis at home.
its not hard to hide a phantom and a few 12 grams, and nobody would care about the harness and mask.

paint magnet
01-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Of course here the cops are real dicks.

You think the cops there are bad...

The other day, my grandmother got pulled over for speeding. She is 78, has been driving since she was 14 without one single incident...she got pulled over for doing 41 in a 35 (ten feet away from a 45 mph sign no less) in a minivan on her way to choir practice. When the cop pulled her over he asked her if she'd ever had a ticket before--she replied that she hadn't, and he said, "Well, you've got one now!"

What an *******...and do you ever see a cop stop to help someone broken down on the side of the road? No, they're too busy pulling over old ladies going 6 mph over the speed limit.

firebanex
01-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I had my sniper2 in my room for a bit befor i took it home, course i live across town here but still...

For the most part the RA's and res life here at UAF don't care, sure your not supposed to have them in you room, but as long as the RA's or reslife never find out your golden. someplaces its easy some its not, freshman dorms usualy have tighter rules and security stuff going on just cause its full of stupid freshman in general

PnueMagger
01-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Here's what I feel you should do, In fact here is what I am doing too (so I'm not just being a Hypocrit):

Right now I have my marker on my bed, because it's pretty, and I like to look at it, and like other people to see my creation. My door is open and my RA lives 15 feet away and I can hear him talking to someone in the hall. The only reason I'm not shooting it right now is my flatline's @ AGD getting fixed. I commonly enjoy playing Midnight Target Practice outthe window and chronoing down my dorm hallway :shooting: (I just say "heads up" first to people). Why, because I play collegiate football and my RA won't do Sh*t to me. I'm the reason you're probly not allowed to have markers in dorms. :p

So crack a beer :cheers:
Air it up :argh:
And unleash some Hell :mad:

PS: then find a nice buddy to move in with! :spit_take

BobTheCow
01-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Why, because I play collegiate football and my RA won't do Sh*t to me. I'm the reason you're probly not allowed to have markers in dorms. :p
You are far superior to the rest of us, thanks for that.

Turdbasket.

Cow hunter
01-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Here's what I feel you should do, In fact here is what I am doing too (so I'm not just being a Hypocrit):

Right now I have my marker on my bed, because it's pretty, and I like to look at it, and like other people to see my creation. My door is open and my RA lives 15 feet away and I can hear him talking to someone in the hall. The only reason I'm not shooting it right now is my flatline's @ AGD getting fixed. I commonly enjoy playing Midnight Target Practice outthe window and chronoing down my dorm hallway :shooting: (I just say "heads up" first to people). Why, because I play collegiate football and my RA won't do Sh*t to me. I'm the reason you're probly not allowed to have markers in dorms. :p

So crack a beer :cheers:
Air it up :argh:
And unleash some Hell :mad:

PS: then find a nice buddy to move in with! :spit_take
well dont you sound dangerous, but then the real world will hit you like a brick, and you wont be able to do whatever the hell you want, because oone will care you play football or w/e! but seriously, enjoy it while you can, cuase it aint lasting long!!

my opinion on the subject is how everyone should live life, "its only illegal if you get caught"

shortkidsrus
01-20-2006, 01:01 AM
VFX Fenix- Which school do you go to? I will be attending Cal Poly San Luis next year. That is unfortunate that the Cal State system considers markers to be firearms...

JeepinCalifornia
01-20-2006, 01:41 AM
Shortkids - the city officials in SLO are well, uh, uptight. The residents/students at Poly, however, are pretty crazy, hence the reason for local law enforcement's watchful eye. Don't advertise; campus security should have enough to worry about with the partiers, let alone your (hidden, disassembled, etc) marker. ;)