PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to fill HPA tanks

jamesmbaldwin
01-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Whats the easiest way to fill HPA tanks?? I can't find anywhere around here that will do it, and what about those foot pumps they had that would fill up a tank but took a millions of pumps?

Or what abotu something like this?

http://usfreight.zoovy.com/product/6840P?META=froogle-6840P

MisterBones25
01-13-2006, 11:28 AM
the easiest way is to buy a compressor, but those aint' cheap. next would probably be to get a scuba tank or more and fill from those, the easiest by far is just to go to a feild or scuba shop and they will fill it fo a minimal fee, scuba shops are usualy cheaper. those footpumps dont look like they are worth it you would be to tired to play afterwards.

BigEvil
01-13-2006, 11:44 AM
If you plan on using that pump, I hope you are Popeye and have your spinach with you :D

HPA air = 3000-4500 psi
foot pump = 120 psi max

Seriously, look into a scuba tank. If you can find somewhere that sells them, they probably fill them also. All you would need after that is the scuba fill station which allows you to connect that tank and bottle for filling.

neppo1345
01-13-2006, 01:02 PM
You'd need a scuba cylinder, massive welding cylinder(for hpa) or pump...

That foot pump is designed to pump hydraulic oil...not air. To operate hydraulic accessories like an arbor press or hydraulic ram...

JMAN
01-13-2006, 01:41 PM
My father has a large very large compressor. He is a mechanic and uses it to power his air tools. Is there some sort of adapter I could use to refill my HPA Tanks.

jfreak
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
My father has a large very large compressor. He is a mechanic and uses it to power his air tools. Is there some sort of adapter I could use to refill my HPA Tanks.

A compressor used for air tools is not capable of attaining thousands of PSI, no matter how big it is. HP compressors usually have 3 or more stages(i.e. one stage gets you to 1000psi, the next to 2000psi, etc.) While a mechanics compressor is usually just one stage, good for less than 200psi. If you don't have a local paintball supply store or dive shop to fill your tank, a welding supply store may be able to help you out. Otherwise you have to buy a compressor of some sort.

paint magnet
01-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Welding supply stores usually stock large nitrogen tanks that they will either rent or sell you.

neppo1345
01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
My daddy's a fireman...
they fill their own SCBA tanks...
Their comp runs up to 3.5k :)
I Have a 3k tank :)

Check your local FD...sometimes they have old 3k-4.5k steel cylinders laying around from when they switch to fiber wrapped bottles (a lot lighter when you're trying to put out fires)...you might be able to pick one up cheap...maybe...

I go get my tank filled sometimes...

paint magnet
01-13-2006, 08:55 PM
My daddy's a fireman...
they fill their own SCBA tanks...
Their comp runs up to 3.5k :)
I Have a 3k tank :)

Check your local FD...sometimes they have old 3k-4.5k steel cylinders laying around from when they switch to fiber wrapped bottles (a lot lighter when you're trying to put out fires)...you might be able to pick one up cheap...maybe...

I go get my tank filled sometimes...

Just make sure their old tanks are in hydro...although most fire departments should have connections to hydrotesters.

If you're going to get it filled at a SCUBA shop, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble by writing "for paintball use only" on the side, that way you don't have to get it inspected to make sure there isn't anything contaminating the inside of it (which would be dangerous if you were actually using it to breathe from, but not for operating a paintball marker).

You'll also need an adapter for the SCUBA tanks, which usually run about $50, and likely one for the nitrogen tank as well.

jfreak
01-13-2006, 10:12 PM
I totally forgot about fireman. I get my tanks hydroed at a fire distributor. They sell just about anything firefighting related and also can do the hydro testing. There might be something close to you along those lines also.

geekwarrior
01-13-2006, 11:03 PM
i got a scuba tank for $60...it costs $6 to refill it...problem solved.

Recon by Fire
01-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Make sure you can get fills before you buy or rent any tanks. Mos welding cylinders are only 2000psi. So you will likely need a scuba tanl, most are 3000psi. But not all scuba shops will fill them without a padi certification no matter what you write on them. Do your homework!

JMAN
01-14-2006, 12:56 AM
A compressor used for air tools is not capable of attaining thousands of PSI, no matter how big it is. HP compressors usually have 3 or more stages(i.e. one stage gets you to 1000psi, the next to 2000psi, etc.) While a mechanics compressor is usually just one stage, good for less than 200psi. If you don't have a local paintball supply store or dive shop to fill your tank, a welding supply store may be able to help you out. Otherwise you have to buy a compressor of some sort.

Ahh, thanks. Thread just had me wondering. Thanks for clearing that up.

jfreak
01-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Make sure you can get fills before you buy or rent any tanks. Mos welding cylinders are only 2000psi. So you will likely need a scuba tanl, most are 3000psi. But not all scuba shops will fill them without a padi certification no matter what you write on them. Do your homework!

That isn't completely true on the bigger tanks. My local welding supply rents tanks that are over 3k, and the nice thing is they hold a LOT more air than the scuba's too. Plus you never have to worry about getting that puppy inspected or anything, its a rental! Downside is cost and portability.