PDA

View Full Version : Warp/Drop Forward Mount Screws

deadmeat
01-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey guys,

In all my technical knowledge of working on automobiles and removing "stripped" and crossthreaded screws, I have yet to encounter this problem on any of my markers, until today.

I won this fancy E-mag off Ebay, though little did I know the warp/drop forward screws were stripped out/crossthreaded/stuck in the grip frame!

So I was curious, do you guys have any good ideas on how to get to these small buggers and work them out without damaging the marker? I'd hate to ruin $300 worth of E-mag.

Marker can be viewed at this link, and you can see the screws in the picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7208328336&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

-meaty

athomas
01-14-2006, 10:33 AM
If the screws are sticking out and accessible, take the grip frame apart and heat it. The heat will allow the aluminum to expand, releasing pressure on the perimeter of the screws. This will make them easier to extract.

If the screws are flush and you are unable to get anything to grip them, then you may have to cut/drill the tops off and then possibly drill the centers out of the screws and insert an easyout extractor to remove the screws.

angelpena
01-14-2006, 01:41 PM
It looks like they are sticking out so I would just put a little penetrating oil on em, put vice grips on them and take them out.

if the extraction removes the threads on the gripframe you may have to helicoil them to replace the thread surface.

You may get lucky and just have to chase the threads with a tap.

wanna-b-ballin'
01-14-2006, 04:49 PM
i say remove the gripframe, remove everything in it, put it in the oven at about 250* for about 10 minutes, and then with gloves on and a vice-grip, try to unscrew those suckers.
you may have to re-thread the holes, but for a $300 e-mag its worth the trouble. you got a good deal.