PDA

View Full Version : why does everone know angels?

Cow hunter
01-17-2006, 03:43 PM
today, i was asked a few things about paintball from a couple of people who knew little/nothing about it. one of their questions was "have you ever shot an angel?" to which i replied "well, why does it matter" and they said "because those are the best guns in the world!" :confused: in the past i have heard everyone talk about angels and refer to them as the best, but why? i know they're great guns, but why does eeryone know them, and if ereryone knows them, why arent they as dominant a company as SP? How have the "noobs" come to know thwm as the best and not others such as SP or any other AGG companies?

SpitFire1299
01-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Ive always wondered the same thing... :(

magman007
01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
because when most of the paintball consumer base (13-19) area first got into the sport, the angel was the top gun, and we were all told that, i was told that, and thought it for a bit, until i really got into the sport.

Usually when a noob starts, he hears what he hears, and tells his friends what he hears and thinks to know, and thats where the angel is the best gun thing came from.

minimag03
01-17-2006, 04:01 PM
I think it's because Angels are priced, or at one time, a lot higher then other markers. New players and people that have no idea what they are talking about usally believe that the most expensive = best.

snoopay700
01-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, it's hype. comparing an angel and an emag, the emag outperformed it by a lot.

slade
01-17-2006, 05:47 PM
i was actually going to post the same thing a while ago. when i got into the sport everyone knew angels and talked about them like they were the best gun there was. which is sort of understandable, considering for a while they were, and i guess things like that just live on.

a few weeks ago though i was talking to one of my friends and we somehow ended up talking about paintball... she said she didnt know anything about paintball besides the fact that angels were the best marker there was.

well, she also knew about cockers... but that was for another reason.

what i find even funnier is that if i talk to someone who doesnt play, either angels are the best gun, they have a friend who is sponsored by dye and gets dm5's for $200 (i just told him to get me one) their friends spend an insane ammount of money on a sick gun (which usually ammounts to an a-5 with a sear mod) or their cousin is on russian legion.

most markers are preferance though. i personally would shoot an angel before an e-mag, although i loved my mech.

minimag03
01-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah, it's hype. comparing an angel and an emag, the emag outperformed it by a lot.

I totally agree :tard:

*ArKfEaR*
01-17-2006, 06:28 PM

lol... :rofl:

REDRT
01-17-2006, 06:49 PM

When was that?

snoopay700
01-17-2006, 07:03 PM
When was that?
http://www.odysseypaintball.com/halovideos.html

Then.

cioeboy
01-17-2006, 07:09 PM
funny story

i had heard alot of people saying an angel was the best gun at my local field so i didnt tell anyone that i had bought one
when i brought it in i got more "whoa what kinda gun is that?" questions than the people with custom guns :rolleyes:

camilion705
01-17-2006, 07:18 PM
because when most of the paintball consumer base (13-19) area first got into the sport, the angel was the top gun, and we were all told that, i was told that, and thought it for a bit, until i really got into the sport.

Usually when a noob starts, he hears what he hears, and tells his friends what he hears and thinks to know, and thats where the angel is the best gun thing came from.

^^^ Thats my thought too.

For how long was the Angel the dominant electro at the pro level and even recball? Probably from 1996 when the v6 came out, to around 2002, so thats somewhere around the 5-6 years. That is a really long time. During those years, anyone who came in contact with the game was told and shown that the Angel was the best. Those people went on to tell others, and so on.

Now you have to think about why younger kids still think that the Angel is the best, even though they have come into contact with the sport just recently when the Angel is not really that popular on the tourny scene or on the rec scene for that matter.

wanna-b-ballin'
01-17-2006, 07:31 PM
i hear that they shoot 2 balls at once and also shoot harder. i wouldn't want to be shot by one. it must really hurt. :cry:

cdacda13
01-17-2006, 07:57 PM
"Best Gun" Is personal perferance.
I personally love my A4 Fly. There might be better guns out there, but Im happy where I am.

O, but what I wouldn't do for a G7

RusskiX
01-17-2006, 08:09 PM
For how long was the Angel the dominant electro at the pro level and even recball? Probably from 1996 when the v6 came out, to around 2002, so thats somewhere around the 5-6 years. That is a really long time. During those years, anyone who came in contact with the game was told and shown that the Angel was the best. Those people went on to tell others, and so on.

Now you have to think about why younger kids still think that the Angel is the best, even though they have come into contact with the sport just recently when the Angel is not really that popular on the tourny scene or on the rec scene for that matter.

For those people being critical of Angels, consider the apparently effective marketing done by WDP since their inception. Not only did they have a very reliable first entry into the hot emerging electropneumatic back in the day, but they coupled it with a sexy image, winning sponsored teams, and an "elite" price tag to heighten the allure.

You can knock the product now in hindsight, though they still produce competive markers, but the marketing for paintball products was truely revolutionary. When non-players show positive name recognition, you have done something right! Some other manufacturers *cough* choose not to emulate WDP and evidence the results. How many outsiders or even insiders today can identify a mag by sight?

Cow hunter
01-17-2006, 08:15 PM
For those people being critical of Angels, consider the apparently effective marketing done by WDP since their inception. Not only did they have a very reliable first entry into the hot emerging electropneumatic back in the day, but they coupled it with a sexy image, winning sponsored teams, and an "elite" price tag to heighten the allure.

You can knock the product now in hindsight, though they still produce competive markers, but the marketing for paintball products was truely revolutionary. Some other manufacturers *cough* choose not to emulate WDP and evidence the results. How many outsiders or even insiders today can identify a mag by sight?
i have nothing against angels, i see them to br excellent markers and i intended this thread to awnser why everyone knows them, and if they're so well known why arent they like SP, a huge commercial paintball giant. but to those who are posting for the purpose of criticizing them, just dont

How many outsiders or even insiders today can identify a mag by sight?
as for that, many. you either know mags, or you dont. if you know them, spotting them is the easiest thing in the world as they are so unique. but there the majority that have never seen mags because they havent been around for long enough

snoopay700
01-17-2006, 08:18 PM

You can knock the product now in hindsight, though they still produce competive markers, but the marketing for paintball products was truely revolutionary. When non-players show positive name recognition, you have done something right! Some other manufacturers *cough* choose not to emulate WDP and evidence the results. How many outsiders or even insiders today can identify a mag by sight?
Those that aren't ignorant, or those who are just into it. Not many people know of them and think they're shockers, then when they find out it's a mag they htink it's crap, then they get proven wrong.

RusskiX
01-17-2006, 08:30 PM
but there the majority that have never seen mags because they havent been around for long enough

No offense, but mags are significantly older in the paintball evolutionary tree than Angels.

As to why WDP isn't as big as say SP...competition and even better marketing :spit_take
Its like all marketing; new products come and the fickle buying public (especially pb players!) wants novelty.

I'm not endorsing any product over another, we all have preferences. This was just an example of the power of marketing to get your name out.

Cow hunter
01-17-2006, 08:32 PM
No offense, but mags are significantly older in the paintball evolutionary tree than Angels.

you missunderstand, the mags have been around since...... forever...... and the players who dont know it havent been around long enough to see it when it was a hugely known gun

master_alexander
01-17-2006, 08:46 PM
yea... when i started playing a few years ago all i heard was get an angel- the supergun. i had n clue. it sounded heavenly though... lol...

now i like mags, shockers, and vikings. woot.

68magOwner
01-17-2006, 08:52 PM
http://www.odysseypaintball.com/halovideos.html

Then.

....because there arnt any vids of angels doing ungogly high rates of fire anywhere :rolleyes: If nothing else, i have seen paint shot faster through an angel (in person) than any other marker to date (including my vikings, every model of matrix out to date, with the exception of the early mechanical ones, all generations of intimidator, ect) on non-legal modes, i just havent seen anything get paint from the loader, out of the barrel as fast as the angel. Something i cant really explain, seems that markers with similar cycling speeds, same hopper, on same non-legal modes should shoot as fast or faster, but, dosent seem to be the case for whatever reason.

Anyway, my entire team is currently shooting 06 speeds (WDP sponsored) and we do get approached by alot of newer players awed by the fact that we have angels. Really, i dont know why all newer players think they are the end all be all of paintball markers, but, i do remember it that way when i first started balling, i remember mags, cockers, and angles being the guns to have. I guess 1/3 of it stayed that way for new players. Angels today are still outstanding markers, but, nothing to date can be defined as "the best" marker ever.

RusskiX
01-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Gotcha! I misread the statement, but that's much clearer. :cheers:

you missunderstand, the mags have been around since...... forever...... and the players who dont know it havent been around long enough to see it when it was a hugely known gun

Cow hunter
01-17-2006, 10:11 PM
....because there arnt any vids of angels doing ungogly high rates of fire anywhere :rolleyes: If nothing else, i have seen paint shot faster through an angel (in person) than any other marker to date (including my vikings, every model of matrix out to date, with the exception of the early mechanical ones, all generations of intimidator, ect) on non-legal modes, i just havent seen anything get paint from the loader, out of the barrel as fast as the angel. Something i cant really explain, seems that markers with similar cycling speeds, same hopper, on same non-legal modes should shoot as fast or faster, but, dosent seem to be the case for whatever reason..
i disagree........ whats the fastest anything can shoot paint? remember zak vetter? he showed a mag doing 34bps and a viking even faster 36 i belive...... i dont know but i dont think the angel is THAT fast, or maybe it is? but from actual conclusive proof i hvae to say the fastest guns are the mag and the viking......unless anyone has proof of an angel doing these insane speeds too......

camilion705
01-17-2006, 10:16 PM
:nono:

Is the definition of the best gun solely based on fire rates? I think not! If it shoots past 15 bps thats too fast in my opinion! Actually anything over 12, no 10. yeah 10 is good. :rofl:

snoopay700
01-17-2006, 10:27 PM
i disagree........ whats the fastest anything can shoot paint? remember zak vetter? he showed a mag doing 34bps and a viking even faster 36 i belive...... i dont know but i dont think the angel is THAT fast, or maybe it is? but from actual conclusive proof i hvae to say the fastest guns are the mag and the viking......unless anyone has proof of an angel doing these insane speeds too......
When did he have a viking do 36? I never saw that on his site, only a mech mag doing 34.5 (what he said). Anyway, that's the fastest i've seen a gun shoot. Also, if you're playing straight semi (like anyone with balls does) you won't pass 16 bps most likely, most people find it hard to get 15, so it doesn't matter. The rt valve for a mag can cycle 43 times per second, but no loader has gotten that fast and no electric trigger or mech bounce can go that fast, that's just to be sure you don't get shootdown.

68magOwner
01-17-2006, 11:34 PM

Way to COMPLETLEY skip over the whole "in person" part of that statement. I understand that under extreme circumstances, other markers (viking and mag) can acheive higher rates of fire, but, once again, i say, IN PERSON, i have used many mags, vikings, angels, trixes, timmys, everything else, and the angels just seem to shoot the fastest for whatever reason in illegal modes, mabey it has something to do with the placement of the eyes in the breech? but, that dosent matter, bottom line is, walk up to your average marker setup, put both on uncapped ramp, and, most of the time, the angel will empty the hopper faster.

Now, does that make it a better marker than any other? NO, not in the least, just stating an observation, as un-scientific as it may be.

tyrion2323
01-18-2006, 12:24 AM

You're misinterpreting the videos. They say nothing about performance, only the FEED RATE. Feed Rates are determined by the HALO speed. Couple that with the fact that back then Angels didn't have eyes...

I'd wager an new angel versus an xmag anyday. They're both going to perform extremely well, but the Angel will pull out ahead in terms of speed, has nicer features, and will weigh less.

I'd probably still take the XMAG solely because they're super badass, but I would have eyes put into it...

snoopay700
01-18-2006, 12:43 AM
You're misinterpreting the videos. They say nothing about performance, only the FEED RATE. Feed Rates are determined by the HALO speed. Couple that with the fact that back then Angels didn't have eyes...

I'd wager an new angel versus an xmag anyday. They're both going to perform extremely well, but the Angel will pull out ahead in terms of speed, has nicer features, and will weigh less.

I'd probably still take the XMAG solely because they're super badass, but I would have eyes put into it...
Haha, the x-mag has a level 10 and an anti chop eye in the bottom of the breech, which seems redundant with the level 10, but it's still there. Getting more eyes put in would be useless with an x-mag, but not an emag.

slade
01-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Haha, the x-mag has a level 10 and an anti chop eye in the bottom of the breech, which seems redundant with the level 10, but it's still there. Getting more eyes put in would be useless with an x-mag, but not an emag.
eyes are better than L10, even IF you get it tuned correctly. and breakbeam is better than reflective.

tyrion2323
01-18-2006, 09:36 AM

#1 - eyes are better than L10. They maintain better speed, don't suck as much efficiency, and are an active anti-chop mechanism instead of defensive.

#2 - The XMag has an infrared eye, while breakbeam eyes are clearly better. I would put breakbeam eyes in it.

#3 - Don't tell me things I know. I remember when all three of the above mentioned guns (angels, emags and xmags) were first released. Believe me, I am aware of their tech specs.

GT
01-18-2006, 01:11 PM
An angel is one of the few guns that has never failed me or any of my friends, infact I have never seen one go down any of the times I have played over the last 7 years, with exception to a bad battery. Oil it, charge it, and if you are unlucky enough to get a bad board drop 150 for the TAG and you have just replaced the battery and board.

It truly is a great gun. The only electro I know that has automag like relibilty. :hail:

GT
01-18-2006, 01:13 PM
#1 - eyes are better than L10. They maintain better speed, don't suck as much efficiency, and are an active anti-chop mechanism instead of defensive.

I am aware of their tech specs.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I would love to see you prove that.

snoopay700
01-18-2006, 01:19 PM

#2 - The XMag has an infrared eye, while breakbeam eyes are clearly better. I would put breakbeam eyes in it.

#3 - Don't tell me things I know. I remember when all three of the above mentioned guns (angels, emags and xmags) were first released. Believe me, I am aware of their tech specs.
Wow, i'm sorry your highness, i wasn't aware that i was supposed to know everything about you and know everything you know. I was just saying, and i know breakbeam is better, but the x-mag's is in the bottom because that's the first place the ball hits, but if they were in the sides then the ball could bobble around them (tom's explanation). Also, i fail to see how eyes are better when if something happens to them then you're screwed unless you have a level 10 as a back up. I prefer mech guns, maybe that's why i like the level ten, or maybe because it's cheaper, or the fact that it's just as good as eyes because it resets so fast, or maybe it's the fact that balls can bobble around after the eye detected them so you can still chop, where as with the level 10 you won't..

bleachit
01-18-2006, 01:33 PM

I knew of the mag and wanted an RT or was it the RT Pro...2 years before I ever played paintball. Bought an APG and remember that add today.. 7 years ago?

AGD may have slacked in recent years, but they did advertise at one time, and made quite an impression on me before I ever played the game.

RusskiX
01-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, sure they advertised, but it was the style of advertising that set Angels apart. Not to mention, they were coupled with sexy milling / pretty colors. They really started the bling era of high end electros.

I knew of the mag and wanted an RT or was it the RT Pro...2 years before I ever played paintball. Bought an APG and remember that add today.. 7 years ago?

AGD may have slacked in recent years, but they did advertise at one time, and made quite an impression on me before I ever played the game.

SCpoloRicker
01-18-2006, 03:12 PM

#2 - The XMag has an infrared eye, while breakbeam eyes are clearly better. I would put breakbeam eyes in it. 1 out of 3 ain't bad... -R

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/3251/owllol1fg.jpg

punkncat
01-18-2006, 04:14 PM

Well said, very true. It was all about the Hype.

Not saying that Angels aren't good markers...I currently own an 04 Speed and enjoy its ergonomics and performance(with the right paint). It truly is a world class marker.

My mag is evidently a PL shocker......

oldschooldave
01-19-2006, 02:22 AM
dont know anything about angels all i know is i use a 97 autococker and i have no fear of angels. i started playing in 1988. my gun shoots sweet. in any woodsball game i will fear no other marker but mine. eveyone that sees my gun is like is that an autococker. i hear they are a pain in the azz. it just depends on what they hear. i just bought a new gun its an old minimag ive always wanted one. it seems from what ive seen mags are hardly mentioned guess thats good never heard anything bad about mags at all. :headbang: :bounce: :shooting: :dance: