PDA

View Full Version : wirless connection???

Jdogg
01-20-2006, 11:45 AM
What would it take to set up a wirless connection, the safest way? weill it be as fast as my cable connection? what steps/need to do if this is a good idea?

Thanks for any input!

Banshee23
01-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Buy a 802.11G router & access card (PCI preferably, USB if you have to), setup WEP/WPA encryption (WPA preferred), setup MAC address filtering, turn off broadcast SSID, turn on discard ping from WAN side. It'll be faster than your cable connection, you don't have to worry about that. The manual that comes with the router can usually walk you through how to set everything I mentioned up.

Jdogg
01-20-2006, 12:04 PM
how much would this cost?

BeaverEater
01-21-2006, 08:34 PM
well i paid like 70 bucks or so i think for my linksys router but idk how much a card is. My laptop came with one. Im guessing somewhere around 150-200 or so.

Resurection
01-21-2006, 10:49 PM
RoadRunner cable runs at BEST 5-7 megabits (not megabytes) download despite what they say. Wireless standards vary and B is the oldest and it runs at 10mpbs. Faster than your cable modem.

All other broadband services are equal or slower than roadrunner, so any wireless standard will work fine. After that, its all preference. I rate brands --> Linksys, Netgear, DLink.

All you need is the router/access point and a card. You can find kits that have all you need inside one box and you can get it for around $100 or so.

I have a few NIB Netgear USB wireless B adapters if you want one, I'll sell for $20. No routers left, sorry.