PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with my custom project . . .

slateman
01-20-2006, 05:26 PM
I own a set of Red Pepper Stix. I don't like the 16in tip at all. it just feels too long. I'd like to cut the tip down to make it a 10 inch barrel.

I have access to my friend's Dad's workshop. He's a plummer. He has a machine to cut metal pipes. I figured I'd use that. But what do I do to get rid of the burs and edges after cutting it?

tippmannsniper-
01-20-2006, 05:33 PM
definitly do not recomend cutting your barrel downm especially on an expensive barrel kit lol. cutting it will decrease your accuracy and efficiency noticably. but.... if you want too, just use metal sand paper and sand off the burs

its a bad idea

Cow hunter
01-20-2006, 05:36 PM
i agree, cutting barrels is NOT a good idea........ but if you do, borrow a friends barrel and cut THAT fisrt, just to see how it works out..... oh and BTW
He's a plummer the word is plumber

68magOwner
01-20-2006, 05:54 PM
....trade somone....im POSITIVE some people would like to pick up a non-chopped up pepper stick.

MisterBones25
01-20-2006, 06:20 PM
:spit_take i agree with all of the above, dont cut it. get rid of it and get a diffrent kit. pick up a set of dye ul's or a custom products kit, even a freak, those all come in ten inch. by the way, what kind of project is it?

skife
01-20-2006, 06:24 PM
if you do cut it, use a pipe cutting tool, then use a set of jewlers files to file down the burrs.

luke
01-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I've cut down many barrels, nothing to it really.

I suggest milling at least 3 small relief ports in the end (if all the porting was cut off) 1" of porting when done is plenty.

A pipe cutter will leave a pretty good lip on the inside of the barrel when you’re done. You'll probably need to file it down, and then smooth it out with sand paper.

buzzboy
01-20-2006, 07:16 PM
If you can use a lathe to cut down the barrel. Then you can use it to deburr it. I did a little workk with my stock barrel on the lathe and it looked pretty nice when I finished.

Baby Huey
01-20-2006, 07:46 PM
oh and BTW the word is plumber

Not if he is a plum farmer :D

wanna-b-ballin'
01-20-2006, 08:52 PM
its actually really not that hard. i did it once. i used a pipe cutter. the kind you twist around the barrel by hand. then i carefully used an x-acto knife to remove the little small ring it made in the end of the barrel, then i used some tiny little files to smooth it all out.

ask arstron if it looked nice. i traded it to him with some other things.

gmp211
01-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, this isn't the GREATEST idea in the world. Maybe go to your pro-shop and see if they have 10' 'Stix. Then do a little trade or something.

Tunaman
01-20-2006, 11:27 PM
definitly do not recomend cutting your barrel downm especially on an expensive barrel kit lol. cutting it will decrease your accuracy and efficiency noticably. but.... if you want too, just use metal sand paper and sand off the burs

its a bad ideaCutting the barrel down(and refinishing it properly) will neither decrease your accuracy or lower your efficency. It will in fact raise your efficiency it you get it around 11". ;)

NinjaoftheNight79
01-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Cutting the barrel down(and refinishing it properly) will neither decrease your accuracy or lower your efficency. It will in fact raise your efficiency it you get it around 11". ;)

Man, it seems like everybody beats me to the fun part... Like Tunaman said, it wont decrease your accuracy if you cut it down some. One thing I do have to say about that is that if you cut the back bore to make a really small barrel it will effect accuracy. Also, cutting the front will make it a tad bit louder (less metal to absorb sound, lack of porting). Efficiency will rise too. The only problem is getting it looking nice. I personally would have to get it re anoed for that or something, it would bug the crap out of me.

slateman
01-21-2006, 02:00 AM
oh and BTW the word is plumber

:D Thats what I get for writing this while watching NFL Matchup on ESPN :D :p