PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Wipe paintball

CaptainNeeda
01-24-2006, 01:00 PM
With all of this talk about "pro players" wiping with the skill of an artist, I have to wonder why a semi-indelible paintball (for tournaments) isn't made.

Disclaimer: Have I ever wiped? No.
Have I been hit and not realized it? Of Course.
Is it kind of sad that this is even a problem? Yes.

Anyway, it seems like it would be rather easy to make a paintball for tournament play that would be difficult or hard to wipe.

Idea #1: A paintball that is indelible until it comes in contact with a specific solvent, i.e. alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. That way once a player is eliminated, they need to get off the field to remove the paintball splatter.

Idea #2: Player jerseys and/or paitballs that are laced with an acid/base indicator. Yes I know that body chemisty may not work with this but, the idea is still sound. Also the concept is not limited to just acids or bases, nessissarily.

Idea #3: Paintballs that have a infrared dye that can be washed away later. That way a ref can see a paintball strike with just a special google filter.

I know that these ideas could still be circumvented by wiping on an old paintball hit, but even making the paintball "effects" degrade in sunlight may help that. And yes, I do know that this would probibly make paintball a hell of a lot less non-toxic but remember, these ideas are for tournaments, not casual play.

Anyone else have ideas?

jhardy66
01-24-2006, 01:37 PM
With all of this talk about "pro players" wiping with the skill of an artist, I have to wonder why a semi-indelible paintball (for tournaments) isn't made.

Anyway, it seems like it would be rather easy to make a paintball for tournament play that would be difficult or hard to wipe.

Idea #1: A paintball that is indelible until it comes in contact with a specific solvent, i.e. alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. That way once a player is eliminated, they need to get off the field to remove the paintball splatter.

Idea #2: Player jerseys and/or paitballs that are laced with an acid/base indicator. Yes I know that body chemisty may not work with this but, the idea is still sound. Also the concept is not limited to just acids or bases, nessissarily.

Idea #3: Paintballs that have a infrared dye that can be washed away later. That way a ref can see a paintball strike with just a special google filter.

I know that these ideas could still be circumvented by wiping on an old paintball hit, but even making the paintball "effects" degrade in sunlight may help that. And yes, I do know that this would probibly make paintball a hell of a lot less non-toxic but remember, these ideas are for tournaments, not casual play.

Anyone else have ideas?

If I know a player on the other team is a "wiper", I am going to use nothing less than Anarchy so that the fill is not as easy to wipe, plus, I am going to lite them up. Those are the very few times I will find it at least somewhat okay to overshoot somebody. If I know that they have a rep for wiping and/or have seen them doing it a few times, I am going to overshoot the heck out of them so that they can't wipe. The more you hit 'em, the harder it is to wipe it. I have no sympathy for cheaters and would rather be kicked out of a tourney myself than to let them advance.

Of course, all of this is coming from a scenario player perspective that only plays in maybe one tourney a year. Ahhh...the joy of scenario play, where wiping is not near as big of a problem. A problem, yes, but not as much.

gmp211
01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Pfft, people not cheating? Even if it was illegal, people would still do it.

As far as getting a game together. Find some pump people.

P.S Not saying EVERYONE cheats, nor do I hold grudges. So....Yeah

Kevmaster
01-24-2006, 02:46 PM
they made this ball. it stained clothing or your skin...whichever it hit.

it didn't come out.

it was banned shortly thereafter at all tournaments

skousenjr
01-24-2006, 03:02 PM
there is a paint a local field of mine picked up for a wile called spank. It wasnt the greatest but it shure worked, it was a purple shell with a white fill. The white fill was alot like house paint or so it seemed, it was realy realy thick, and like tended to dry almsot instantly. And then a few hours later could be brushed off almost. Was cool in the fact that if you got hit could see it and it was thick so a lot was there. and if tried wipes, it jsut make a bigger mark.

jhardy66
01-24-2006, 03:20 PM
there is a paint a local field of mine picked up for a wile called spank. It wasnt the greatest but it shure worked, it was a purple shell with a white fill. The white fill was alot like house paint or so it seemed, it was realy realy thick, and like tended to dry almsot instantly. And then a few hours later could be brushed off almost. Was cool in the fact that if you got hit could see it and it was thick so a lot was there. and if tried wipes, it jsut make a bigger mark.

I use Chronic a lot. It is a bit more expensive, but has a THICK bright green fill to it. It shoots great. The only prob I've had with it is that the last box I bought had four or five balls that were larger than the rest. And let me tell you, getting that thick-a$$ paint out of my gun was not fun.

jarley77
01-24-2006, 03:24 PM
i agree with the thicker style of paint. If you make the paint relatively thick I think wiping would be less of a problem

BlueFish
01-24-2006, 03:27 PM

its called oil based paint. iirc it was the standard back in the early days. terpentine was the solvent of choice.

anybody knwo what causes h202 to fizz when it contacts blood?

maybe paintballs ought to be filled with blood? (that was a joke) but probably not too far off of what we would need. what ever the protein in blood is that fizzes hydrogen peroxide, use it as a ingredient to paintball fill. if its blended with the pigment, the paint should stain, but only if it's not washed out with h2o2.

a thought.

neppo1345
01-24-2006, 03:36 PM
My anti-wiper paintballs...

http://www.jojoxserie.net/pics/201201/bullet%20mista.jpg

Troen
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
a paint filled inside of a shell which is surrouned by paint by another shell, so its ball inside of a ball. the outside layer of ppaint interacts with the inside and starts foaming when both shells break, or some kinda indicater. i imagine there would be issues with acuracy though.

ThePixelGuru
01-24-2006, 05:43 PM
My anti-wiper paintballs...
(Bullet Image)
Those _always_ jam in my damn Revvy.

BlueFish
01-24-2006, 06:02 PM
hehe
as for the two part fill, i had thought about something like that a couple years ago, having a two part shell with the two different components seperated by part of the shell. which would also make backspin a bit more consistent (it'd get the fluid inside the spinning shell to spin too) but it would not be cost effective.

cioeboy
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
If I know a player on the other team is a "wiper", I am going to use nothing less than Anarchy so that the fill is not as easy to wipe, plus, I am going to lite them up. Those are the very few times I will find it at least somewhat okay to overshoot somebody. If I know that they have a rep for wiping and/or have seen them doing it a few times, I am going to overshoot the heck out of them so that they can't wipe. The more you hit 'em, the harder it is to wipe it. I have no sympathy for cheaters and would rather be kicked out of a tourney myself than to let them advance.

Of course, all of this is coming from a scenario player perspective that only plays in maybe one tourney a year. Ahhh...the joy of scenario play, where wiping is not near as big of a problem. A problem, yes, but not as much.
i play rec ball and i completely agree with this

one time i was playing and i hit a guy twice (gun and chest). i look at him right after i hit him and he wipes both marks off. i moved over one bunker to get a better view of him then let a good long string of shots fly.
hit him five more times before the ref pulled him.

snoopay700
01-24-2006, 08:15 PM
i agree with the thicker style of paint. If you make the paint relatively thick I think wiping would be less of a problem
Both you and neppo took my post, i was going to say make the fill stick, but be like jelly almost, so it would stick and there'd be a residue or something. I was also going ot say as a joke lets try to see them wipe a bullet, but i wasn't going to post it after thinking about it.

Recon by Fire
01-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Two ideas for anti-wiping:

Switch to pepperballs! :eek:

Or tournament gear and balls follow the hook-n-loop method and we rename it "velcroball".

Or everyone could play like they are reasonable honest players and not cheating slug lowlife losers. :cuss:

skriptal
01-24-2006, 10:49 PM
No matter what you do, people will always or try to cheat. Also people will always also claim that the other team is cheating no matter Fair or unfair play.

I play front so i do get covered with a lot of spray, and each time i think there is a questionable spot, i call a paint check, If there is no ref around i ask a teammate, they usually tell me I'm ok, I'm just am trying to have fun.

Have i ever cheated, once sorta, but i felt so bad after wiping that i called myself out, the time between i wiped and called my self out was minimal, i don't think the other person even took any more shots at me in that time span.

peewee
01-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Back in the day I believe nelson had an anti wipe ball. Fill was like glue. Good heavy ball for brush fields, for when you had to chop your lanes. :D

Vex
01-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Anyone remember good ol' Zap classic? Now that, was hard to wipe paint! I still have a shirt that was stained by that stuff... :(

Pacifist_Farmer
01-25-2006, 08:18 AM
I thought ramping was the answer to wiping, there was no question people were going to wipe, so they gave us the power to put so many hits on people in the same amount of time that they could not possibley wipe them all without being seen.

Skoad
01-25-2006, 08:30 AM
no, ramping was their answer to bouncy triggers and cheat modes....didn't fix it but it helped.

peewee
01-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Zap classic was great paint!! Used it for several years.

OneEyedPimp
01-25-2006, 02:55 PM
they made this ball. it stained clothing or your skin...whichever it hit.

it didn't come out.

it was banned shortly thereafter at all tournaments

I think I have been hit by one of those. I was playing in shorts and a t shirt, and was hit repeatedly in each area. My legs were stained pink for 3 weeks. What made it worse is that I dont own a single pair of pants.

RazorMonkey
01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
its called oil based paint. iirc it was the standard back in the early days. terpentine was the solvent of choice.

maybe paintballs ought to be filled with blood? (that was a joke) but probably not too far off of what we would need. what ever the protein in blood is that fizzes hydrogen peroxide, use it as a ingredient to paintball fill. if its blended with the pigment, the paint should stain, but only if it's not washed out with h2o2.

a thought.
H2O2 bleaches... Use a thick paint, and lay multiple shots on them...

Pyroboy597
01-25-2006, 03:24 PM

Anyone else have ideas?

A good question would be... Do you want to have to pay $300 for a case of paint, and money everytime you wash your jersey to have the 'chemicals' relaced into the fibers? Wiping should not be part of the professional side of the sport, but it is. The teams do, they all do it, so in a way its fair. Of course it is looked down upon, but if both teams are doing it than noone should complain. As for rec games, wiping doesn't happen that often, and if it does its fine with me. I will hit them again if they feel the need to have me do that.

Jotsy
01-27-2006, 12:12 AM
IMO, it would be easier to hire 1 ref to every player. so everybody gets their own personal ref monitoring them at all times.

an alternative to this that i've been thinking of would be to have refs as part of the teams. so team 1's ref would monitor team 2 and vice versa. that way players won't be blaming organisers or officials so much. of course, there would have to be extra rules to stop the refs from cheating. for example, if a player is called off but doesn't have paint on him, then points are deducted or something like that. I know its not fool proof and it needs a lot of thought/changes to make it work, but its just an idea...

phantomhitman
01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
i have pink and ornage stains all over my jersey because of thick filled toothpaste paint, so that solution is out of the window. I do not want to buy a jersey everytime I go play. However, I love the idea of refs running around looking like sam fischer (splinter cell) checking for hits.

Crazy
01-27-2006, 03:46 PM
What about playing on? There are many times in tournaments that players are wiped off, how exactly would you do that with these methods?

sanity
01-28-2006, 11:49 PM

its the natural degredation of HOOH to H20 and O2. Occurs spontaneously at a very slow rate but an enzyme in your blood cells (forget the exact name) catalyze the reaction and make it thousands of times faster. The rapid release of O2 gas is seen as bubbles.

BlueFish
01-29-2006, 11:16 AM
the enzyme name was what i was looking for. but yeah...

CrimsonGhost
01-29-2006, 12:25 PM
I seem to recall there being a HUGE STINK made a few years ago about Tour. paint being used on rec fields.
I used to use Devi (Proballs Tour only Paint) and Hellfire (Whatever the one was with the zink based fill...that stained your gear and You ) and one or 2 other types of paints that used Iodine bases.Voodoo was another one but I am not sure on the paint mix it used...just turned you YELLOW
All these stained gear unless thy were washed off RIGHT after getting hit.
Wworked great for me because I was the only person shooting it ...making it pretty obvious when I hit you.
If an entire Tour was using it...whats the point?

Here was the issue on Rec fields.
Little Johnny Agg and his $200 in pants,shoes and jersey would be stained like 40 year old undies on an incontinant man.
I quit using tour paint on rec fields for this reason.
Its one thing to mark someone ...its another to WILLINGLY destroy or Stain their gear.

Now days, I know I would be PISSED if some yob was using this crap on a rec field and ruined gear that I was paying for.
The tour guys still use this stuff....but they get NEW gear almost every tour. (Pro guys anyway.) Why do you think you see all those lovely Pro jerseys selling ?
They were free for the owner of them.
So it doesn't matter if they are stained. :cheers:

scm23
01-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Catalase.

50 cal
01-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Years ago RP Scherer made a silver glitter filled ball. You could not wipe it. It just smeared in the glitter. You had to use water to get it off. As refs, we made sure the players were clean before each game. If you had glitter, you were out no questions asked.

Seemed like the perfect tournament ball. A lot of teams didn' didn't like it. I wonder why. :cry:

Ace12GA
01-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I would be pissed if I walked onto a field and had all my gear stained by some anti-wipe paint.

50 cal
01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
I would be pissed if I walked onto a field and had all my gear stained by some anti-wipe paint.

Why, it washes right off with cold water.

Miscue
01-30-2006, 11:57 PM
White cotton jersies.

nippinout
01-31-2006, 12:48 AM
White cotton jersies.

White paint.