PDA

View Full Version : newb here, trying to decide what gun I have.

Dirtyz
01-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Well I just bought a gun from a friend for $20, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. I think it's an automag, but I don't really have much knowledge about them. then only guns I've owned are Tippmans and Spyders. It has a perforated black "heat shield" and has just the grip for the trigger assembly which is chrome. The only identifying marks on the gun are on the regulator part and it says "X valve". Is this enough to identify the gun? I'd appreciate any help.

jhardy66
01-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Well I just bought a gun from a friend for $20, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. I think it's an automag, but I don't really have much knowledge about them. then only guns I've owned are Tippmans and Spyders. It has a perforated black "heat shield" and has just the grip for the trigger assembly which is chrome. The only identifying marks on the gun are on the regulator part and it says "X valve". Is this enough to identify the gun? I'd appreciate any help.

A pic would help, but from that I would say it is most likely a Mag (I don't think the X-valve fits on any other guns) and an older one at that. Maybe a 68 classic or an old RT, but my guess is a classic. Of course I am no Mag expert though.

HTH,
Jonathan

Dirtyz
01-24-2006, 01:31 PM
So the regulator is an upgraded part?

jhardy66
01-24-2006, 01:43 PM
So the regulator is an upgraded part?

Yes, the Valve is an upgrade. It comes stock with the new AGD guns, but is quite pricey (but worth it IMO) to buy to replace the older ones.

Dirtyz
01-24-2006, 01:45 PM
I've looked up some pictures on google and think it might be a 68. Thanks for the help.

jhardy66
01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
No problem. Glad I could help out.

Pacifist_Farmer
01-24-2006, 03:20 PM
It sounds like you have a Minimag, with an X-Valve upgrade. If this is truely the case, be glad cause the valve itself usually sells for about $200.

Does it look like this gun?

http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=33

SniperSmurf
01-24-2006, 07:53 PM
If it is truely an X-valved mag (of any kind) you really bent your friend over for $20! :eek:
That's got to be the best deal I've seen so far. Heck, the rail alone is worth that...
Don't know about the "chrome" trigger frame, but if you post a pic and it's a nickel Y-grip I'm gonna shoot myself (with a paintball of course). :shooting:
Good on ya mate! :hail:

90hatch268
01-24-2006, 10:53 PM
check pm dirtyz

Dirtyz
01-25-2006, 10:51 AM
It sounds like you have a Minimag, with an X-Valve upgrade. If this is truely the case, be glad cause the valve itself usually sells for about $200.

Does it look like this gun?

http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=33

Hey, there it is. That's exactly what my gun looks like. exept for the valve and chrome trigger frame.

And I just looked up that Y-grip, and am pretty sure that's what is on my gun, except for a different rubber grip.

neppo1345
01-25-2006, 01:57 PM
You my friend...got a hell of a deal...that gun that you picked up for $20 is probably worth womewhere in the $300 - $400.00 range.... I wish I had friends like yours...

I'd be willing to take that valve off your hands for 3x what you paid for the gun? :)

SniperSmurf
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM
And I just looked up that Y-grip, and am pretty sure that's what is on my gun, except for a different rubber grip.

:spit_take

Bang :shooting: Splat :eek: Ouch :cry:
There.... I did it.

Boggles the mind. $20 for an X-valve, Y-grip, Minimag body, rail, etc.
Next you're gonna tell me it's got a twist-lock boomstick or something!

Post pics man!!! :cheers:

Dirtyz
01-26-2006, 10:48 AM
It's actually a shorter DYE barrel I think. And now that I look at the two probably not that Y-grip trigger frame, but still looks like pretty high quality materials and such so I'll have to look into what it actually is.

neppo1345
01-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Just snap a few pictures with anyones digi cam...someone here will be able to identify it no matter how crappy the image...

Dirtyz
01-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I was gonna do it last night but forgot. I'll take some pictures when I get home.

warbeak2099
01-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Please do, I can't believe you got an xvalved minimag w/ ygrip for $20. It's worth more like $300.

Arstron
01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I might possibly be willing to take that off your hands for a pretty penny after I see some pictures of it. ;)

wanna-b-ballin'
01-26-2006, 03:21 PM
sounds like your friend has no idea what a mag can sell for. you possibly got the best deal than anybody here.

Sueypaintballer
01-26-2006, 10:33 PM
someone getting rid of a stollen gun??? lol 20 bux for xvalve sounds like it

SniperSmurf
01-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Heh! Got a serial number? Guess I should have thought of that first! I wouldn't go flashing it around anywhere until you find out for sure... May get your butt handed to you by some angry local bloke and not even know why. :D

Dirtyz
01-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Well I do know some of the history of the gun. It was bought by the brother of the guy I bought it from on Ebay or some other place online. Was sold to my friend who didn't know anything about it. He took it into the local paintball shop and the guy told him he needed a newer tank and lines and he didn't want to spend the money get those items. The gun itself looks perfect. The shop owner offered to buy it for $20, so that's what he sold it to me for. Apparently, the owner of our supply store is a huge douche bag, and tries to screw his customers over.