PDA

View Full Version : Valve Performance Retro vs Aftermarket

covadsucks
12-13-2001, 12:23 PM
AO Members,
I want to get some opinions before I buy a Retro Valve or an aftermarket valve like the Diamond Labs, ANS or Shocktech...
Would I see a dramatic increase in performance with these valves or is it straight to the RT Valve...Keep in Mind, I am an aggressive cover/wing all around bad *** so I sling a butt load of paint at people trying to take out my team...

Tom Kaye is my hero...can I have a free Retro Valve now?

Hexis
12-13-2001, 12:52 PM
There is no comparison. The 8 hole mods do nothing. The ReTro is an RT valve.

covadsucks
12-13-2001, 12:55 PM
I realize this, as I am a mag owner, I am just gathering info as I trying to decide on whether I need a Freak System for my Cocker or an RT Valve for my Mag...but thanks for yer reply...keep 'em coming folks..

virus
12-13-2001, 12:55 PM
lets see
valves you are talkin about
less then $50
all these are, are new on/off tops that go inside your current valve.... do these work... the jury is still out, i'm sure there are people that swear by them and people that swear at them... IMHO of my experiences, if it worked as good as they say it did, AGD would have already made a change to theirs after a bit of tweakin....

as for the retro valve at $270-300

is a total replacememnt of your current valve assy. and can only be run off hpa/n2/compressed air (all the same as far as our great sport is concerened).... were your current valve will start to exp. shootdown once you get over X bbs(gen around 10-15bps, again this is approx guess used for sake of arguement here), the retro has been tested upto 26bps with no noticable shootdown.......

and here is what they look like... as you can see the ReTro valve is a complete valve replacement... the ANS is just an 8 hole mod... which for mags that have come out in the last say 5 years have no use for... the other 1 is just an on/off replacememnt and doesn't always work

http://webpages.charter.net/virus1/paintball/retrocontents.gif
http://webpages.charter.net/virus1/paintball/ansp2valve.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/virus1/paintball/z_valve.gif

also the ReTro valve is the only one that kicks the trigger back for the famed RT effect (ie reactive trigger)

a_malfunction
12-13-2001, 03:29 PM
For its new low price of $200 at the AGD online store, a retro cant be beat!

covadsucks
12-13-2001, 03:34 PM
OK, OK. Perhaps I was not clear. I realize the price tag for a RT Valve, I realize the RT is the best replacement Valve on the market.
I am asking for those who don't have an RT Valve, or are not looking to buy one at this time. Is there any performance difference in the after market valves or it smarter to just have my factory valve drilled by a Certified AGD tech for more flow till I get my RT Valve?!
Hope this clears things up a little more...thanks guys!

virus
12-13-2001, 06:34 PM
drilling out the back of the valve to make an 8hole mod ( i belive is what you are getting at... will do nothing unless your mag is a level 5 or lower..... unless you can hamer out 12+bps for a string longer then 6-10 shots and you are running CO2 on a bottom line in the middle of a blizzard... the valve will charge up fast enough and you dont need to worry.....

toymyster
12-13-2001, 06:46 PM
If you need to sling lots of paint in a hurry, nothing can touch a Retro vale!!! Most aftermarket mods help if you are trying to relieve shootdown and such, but none offer a significant improvement to your rate of fire!!!

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
12-13-2001, 07:14 PM
as for now im waiting for the low pressure valve to come out...cause my stock mimimag valve has never EVER let me down so im good. At least ive been hearing rumers of this AGD Low Pressure like Valve if its true when is there a release date expected cause I wouldnt mind gettin an old 50 - 100 extra balls outta my tank and/or more concistent mag.

covadsucks
12-14-2001, 08:30 AM
Right on. Thanks for the input and I have a level 7 minimag, but under sustained strings of rapid fire, my mag experiences quite a bit of shootdown. Aside from going to an RT Valve I am looking for more performance out of my stock valve as my 'cocker is visiting the 'cocker doctor right now. Having an LP Guage installed and retimed cuz my Hinge Trigger sucks donkey B*lls...

Butterfingers
12-14-2001, 12:24 PM
Im pretty certain that there will never be a low pressure valve.

Tom spoke about this topic before. The current level mags "dump chambers" are designed to be the most efficent dimension possible.

Also the way the mag works is inorder to have a lower pressure you must increase the volume of the "dump chamber".
This will change the dimensions of the valve to where it would require massive retooling. This valve probably wont fit in your standard mag's body as it will be bigger.

Low pressure does not mean better efficency... Look at the shocker and the matrix they go through gas faster than a burst saftey disc. The efficency has more to do with gun design than anything else.

Pressure is inversely proportional to volume. To fire a paintball at lower pressure you need to release more low pressure gas.