PDA

View Full Version : What is the best mask?

jarley77
01-26-2006, 02:22 AM
This has probably been done before but I haven't been on here in a couple of years, so I apologize in advance. I was just wondering what your personal opinion on what you think is the best mask. I am shopping for one and I want a good one. Sorry for the "beginner" question. LOL

Automaggot68
01-26-2006, 04:05 AM
The best mask is the one that covers your eyes, ears, and face.

Vex
01-26-2006, 05:43 AM
I'm pretty fond of my Spectra. I honestly haven't tried any others though.

siloseven
01-26-2006, 06:04 AM
personaly, I love the Proto line of masks. simple operation, many of accesorys you can get if you like, and they look cool, and best of all, cheap.

my balling buddy has a Profiler he got for 80 bucks, comphy, nice, has the lense changer, and "anti-fog" well, i find the lense switch to be a real pain, and after a while the "anti-fog" wore off and they now fog. another former teammate got one, and he wore glasses. the mask didnt fog, his glasses did. and when they took a hit in the goggles, it took them quite a while to get teh lense out and clean it and get it back in.

Now my Proto EL was 30 bucks, never fogs, and isn't too bad with foging my glasses when I ware them, but they have a turbine fan (which the profilers dont have) you can get if you don't want to fog proof your glasses. the lense swtich takes half the time then the others. my only complante is that they scrunch you nose down a little bit, but then again I am a big person, I could just have a big shnaz :tard: now the GS is the 60 buck pair which I have never worn, I can only imagine they are better.

and I have yet to try Dye's Invision, which are up there in price and the Protos look to be based off of. nor have I tried JT's Spetra? (the one with the ear peices and "bullseye" on the grille. both of them I would liek to look at and try out.

shartley
01-26-2006, 06:24 AM
As stated, the best mask is the one that does what it is supposed to do and that you are comfortable wearing. I have tried many masks and always fall back to my JT Spectra with fan. It fits me well, has good clearance for my glasses, and is not so close to my face that my beard rubs against the inside of the mask (as other masks tend to do for me).

But if you can, actually try on various masks to see which is best for you. Keep in mind though that fogging can become an issue so don’t believe the hype manufacturers claim, ask folks who actually own and use them.

StygShore
01-26-2006, 06:53 AM
Its all preference, and for all the bells ans whistles and fancy looks, I still prefer my Flex 7's, or 8's, or Proflex, or whatevee they change the name to this montht o make them marketable still. they cover all the right spots, never fog, and are very light to wear, and offer unubstructed breathing.

I do have a pair of Protos that I use ocasionally as well, and they are nice, I like them alot better than some invisions I wore ( fiogged like mad )

The only con I have on the Flex series is the lenses are crap, they dont have a concave face, so they lack strengtha and I always end up getting stress fractures at the bridge of the nose on the lense ot the 2nd thermal pain.

Masked I have used

Spectra and Flex
Whippersnapper
Shop goggles with one of those green hockey masks
Raven
Skull
Scott
PMI
Vforce ( everything but Profiliers )

Im sure I could think of a few others, and I know I tried some variations of the same concepts.

Styg

BigEvil
01-26-2006, 07:46 AM
http://www.scarecrow-paintball.com/vents.jpg

I wish they were still available :cry:

fullofpaint
01-26-2006, 08:42 AM
For price I'd say the Proto's FS, or the new ones....Axis I think they're called? Has all the feature the invision does but has a quick lens change. I don't recommend the Invisons at all, had one for a long time and hated it. They fog like crazy and it's a pain to get the lenses out.

Profilers are my favorite personally, easy lens change, and good lenses. I'm still waiting for my E-vents to come in so I don't know how good they are. I don't like ProFlex's myself cause they don't seem to fit right on my face.

warbeak2099
01-26-2006, 08:43 AM
All I can say is I'll never go back to JT's after switching to V-Force.

etjoyride
01-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Well, as far as "high-end" masks I have used the profiler invision and proflex recently, and in all honesty i find the proflex to be the most comfortable mask i've ever worn.

Baby Huey
01-26-2006, 09:35 AM
I love my invision. I have used it once a week for about 20 months. Never fogs during speedball but it does fog during a long run in the woods at a scenerio. I have the fan for it and that solves that problem. Everybody is right about the lens. I would rather donate blood than take the lens out to clean it. I love it because I have a big head and face and it fits like a glove, well not like OJ's glove. I am looking for a new mask for this season too, post what you decide on, price, where you got it from, and a review please. Good luck and God Bless.

bleachit
01-26-2006, 09:43 AM
All I can say is I'll never go back to JT's after switching to V-Force.

I second that

FARMER00
01-26-2006, 11:34 AM
the Vforce Vantage is good and cheap $40 canadian

Wizzman
01-26-2006, 11:53 AM
JT proteus all the wy...

FSU_Paintball
01-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Pro-Flex, Flex-8, Profiler, Avatar, E-Ventz. Take your pick of the one that best suits you. I wouldn't buy anything else.

warbeak2099
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Vantages are good too. They're comfortable, leave me room for my glasses, and don't fog. They also give me decent vision. They're cheap too at $25-35 US. I just couldn't take the Spectras anymore.

jarley77
01-26-2006, 05:21 PM
When I played i had a flex 7 and it fogged up a couple of times. I have never worn a invision or any of the other style masks. I was just wondering how bad they fogged up or how long the lenses would last. I am leaning towards a JT. thanks alot everyone

punkncat
01-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I have always prefered old school Scott masks, but as they are impossible to find lenses for I got an Invision. Its very comfortable. I haven't had any problems with fogging anywhere. I don't like that the lenses scratch easily and the protection area they provide is small. It leaves my chin a little more open than I prefer.

logicmag19
01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Most people nowadays are using proflexs, protos and profilers

master_alexander
01-26-2006, 06:29 PM
profiler or proteus.

warbeak2099
01-26-2006, 06:55 PM
The problem with the JT's is they still haven't integrated a quick release for their goggles. It's such a major deal to clean the damn things. Vforces just seem to be the best systems on the market. The new Vents seem good too.

SniperSmurf
01-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Do you still have the Flex 7, and if so, do you wear glasses? That's still a really good mask. Mine never fogs and it actually fits the best over my eyeglasses. I was going to "upgrade" a couple times, but after trying on several newer models, ended up sticking with the Flex 7. I also like the moss green color, but have to agree that the lenses are a PITA to change...

Hey BigEvil, I've got one of those buried in my garage somewhere. It doesn't have the bottom neck/chin guard thingy anymore. My kids look like friggin' Darth Vader running around with that on! Not sure if I recall this correctly, but isn't that an old-school Ventz? Guess I'll have to dig it out and see...