PDA

View Full Version : You may not live here...

FactsOfLife
01-27-2006, 12:02 AM
But you need to read this anyway.

This is what the overused word "hero" is. It's not a "sports-hero", it isn't some jackass from hollywood. This guy is the real deal. I knew him for years before I found out he was CMOH winner.

It was years later that I found out why.

Gary Beikirch American Hero (http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=1833&go=4)

Pacifist_Farmer
01-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Excellent article, let us know if they actually name the bridge the way they should.

Jeffy-CanCon
01-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Impressive story, and well-told.

I hope they name the bridge after Mr Beikirch.

Automaggot68
01-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Whoa, a Green Beret at 22? Dang.

Automaggot68
01-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Here's a picture of the fellow.

http://www.thespiritofamerica.info/images/beikirch-vietnam.jpg

FactsOfLife
01-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I first met Gary when I was in my early teens at a local gun club, at the time he had just started his small business, Beikirch's Gun Shop. It's now one of the largest suppliers to the shooting sports in the area.

I had no idea at the time of his background, although my dad did. Neither of them spoke about it in the terms of CMOH, instead they spoke of shared experiences, and the struggles they both had upon returning to the world after their tours were up.

Mostly I remember him as "my Dad's friend" and not much else. Being the moronic teenager it never occured to me that this man may have been something greater than that.

It wasn't until I was in my late 30's doing a research paper that I came across the list of CMOH winners and was shocked to find Gary on there. I called my dad the next day and pried the story out of him.

He reluctantly told me of what Gary had confided in him about how he had gotten the CMOH. He told me that Gary didn't think he deserved such an honor for what he had done, that it was simply his duty and he carried it out. My dad swore that if i ever spoke about it Gary he'd "destroy me in place". I've not said a word about it to him.

I've never asked Gary about what he did, I have the feeling that it would embarrass him, and he deserves the respect I have for him, to not do that to him.

There are many many other out there that know, some of them owe there very lives to him.

There was a poll on this storys website asking if the bridge should be named after him. There is a sizeable number that says no. I can't for the life of me understand that.

I'm hoping that the column and the spark it's given me to be a local advocate for this naming, will give the new mayor here some thought that there couldn't be a more deserving person for it to be named after.

Jonneh
01-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Jack Bauer is the only american hero.

FactsOfLife
01-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Jack Bauer is the only american hero.

Show some respect. Refrain from interjecting nonsense in here.