PDA

View Full Version : Stewing over custom electro marker

Chrishew09
01-27-2006, 07:58 AM
So I'm and electrical engineering associtate, and I was think a few days ago and decided, hey I can make and electro grip my self. So I put a curcuit together with a 555 timer and it seems to work, but I dont really have a marker I can put it into or find a solinoid that would work for me. I have and Emag right now, and a Tippy 68carbine, if i put it in the 68carbine I dont thing the blow back can cycle that fast so I didnt want to try. I was thinking about getting and really cheap 68automag totaly stock, installing the electro board and and making a sleeper.

So my real question is has anyone tried to make an electro out of a 555 timer, it should work when I look at the waveforms with a o-scope everything looks good, I just need to find and solinoid.
Does anyone know what manufacture supplies the solinoids to AGD for the Emag?

Just a though let me know what u think. :) :headbang:

RapidTransit
01-27-2006, 09:13 AM
So I'm and electrical engineering associtate, and I was think a few days ago and decided, hey I can make and electro grip my self. So I put a curcuit together with a 555 timer and it seems to work, but I dont really have a marker I can put it into or find a solinoid that would work for me. I have and Emag right now, and a Tippy 68carbine, if i put it in the 68carbine I dont thing the blow back can cycle that fast so I didnt want to try. I was thinking about getting and really cheap 68automag totaly stock, installing the electro board and and making a sleeper.

So my real question is has anyone tried to make an electro out of a 555 timer, it should work when I look at the waveforms with a o-scope everything looks good, I just need to find and solinoid.
Does anyone know what manufacture supplies the solinoids to AGD for the Emag?

Just a though let me know what u think. :) :headbang:
To answer one question, E-Mags use solenoids from Magnetic Sensor Systems, the model # is S-15-75 Pull type. http://www.magneticsensorsystems.com you can actually buy off of their website unlike alot of other solenoid manufacturers. They also have little handy graphs on how well they work at certain voltages etc. :dance:

luke
01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
http://www.electromechanicsonline.com/products/SOLOH032013.asp

http://www.clippard.com/

http://www.solenoidcity.com/

Troen
01-27-2006, 01:28 PM
tboard and preditors i think run off of 555 timers, i believe. also, my coil gun i built in scshool runs off of one. i hate using oscilloscopes.

1337caesar
01-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I think the biggest thing would be debounce in a project like this. I havent really looked at it in detail but from what I have heard you should be able to work something out with capacitors to get rid of the bounce if you use a really small one (large wont work since it will act as a filter, alllowing the bounce right through). what I sugest is that you hook the O-Scope to the switch and take a look what the output patterns look like when you are activating and de-activating it really quickly, from there you will probably be able to find a soloution.

Oh and btw blowbacks can cycle 45/second its the recharge rate you need to worry about. and If you want a cheap classic let me know, i'd even throw in a cruddy intella frame for you to do the project in if you want.

Chrishew09
01-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys for the info on the solinoid.
I have looked at the bounce thing and I found that the right capacitor does wonders, thats all you need.

??Do preditor boards us 555 timers, dont they have a user interface?? They might us a 555 in conjuction with a user interface chip of some sort. But who really needs to have all those adjustments, one pull one shot is all I need.
The only adjustment that might be usfull would be to adjust the debounce which you could do with a potentiometer on the board it's self, and once you set that there is no need to set it again.

I think I can get my hands on an old rental 68automag from the local feild I play at for free, so thanks but no thanks. :rofl:

Oh by the way, will a Emag sear fit and/or work wiht a 68 valve and rail?

athomas
01-28-2006, 09:35 AM
An emag sear will work with any mag valve. The emag sear will only work with emag and retro mag rails.

Troen
01-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys for the info on the solinoid.
I have looked at the bounce thing and I found that the right capacitor does wonders, thats all you need.

??Do preditor boards us 555 timers, dont they have a user interface?? They might us a 555 in conjuction with a user interface chip of some sort. But who really needs to have all those adjustments, one pull one shot is all I need.
The only adjustment that might be usfull would be to adjust the debounce which you could do with a potentiometer on the board it's self, and once you set that there is no need to set it again.

I think I can get my hands on an old rental 68automag from the local feild I play at for free, so thanks but no thanks. :rofl:

Oh by the way, will a Emag sear fit and/or work wiht a 68 valve and rail?
if you get a working modle, id like to see the schematics of the circuit

MoeMag
01-28-2006, 11:52 AM
/\ /\ /\

Same here... If you would make it public domain that would be awesome!

I have wanted to do an e-grip frame project myself; I can machine some really awesome one off grip frames, but I cannot get past all the electronics. I'm a just a simple-minded aerospace engineer :cool: … I know mechanical loads and aerodynamics. I only had a short little blurb about electronic circuits and magnetism in a university phys II class; I have absolutely no practical application knowledge (aside from my antique radios, but we don’t want vacuum tubes in a gun). I have made a few inquiries to Tag about how the predator boards operate but I have never received a response.

Also making some sort of support for an eye system would be really cool.

slade
01-28-2006, 12:24 PM
someone (maybe doc or warpig?) wrote a short article on making your own board with a 555 timer. i also found an article on making your own e-cocker... of course all this was before you could find e1s for $200, so...

Chrishew09
01-28-2006, 10:39 PM
If you want to try and do it your self do a google search for monostable 555 timer schematics, go to radio shack buy some parts and play around with it. If you dont have access to a o-scope it might me a little hard b/c you wont be able to see the waveforms.

I have been talking to another guy about this and he offered a different solution using only a capacitor, his idea would work but i'm not to fond of it.

If I get it working I will post the schematics and pictures...dont hold your breath though I still need to find myself a marker to do it to.

MoeMag
01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
I messed around with the “only capacitor idea” myself, it did not seem like it would offer enough control for a proper off the shelf solenoid. I considered winding my own solenoid but gave up after looking at those horrible emf equations to determine its dimensions. Electronics are not my thing at all.
It would be cool if it did work, my only goal is to lower the trigger pull so it can be walked… I always say “keep it simple stupid” and I think that if done right the only capacitor thing would be the best.

edit:
found this site...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html
I will have to go ask the avionics guys down the hall at school; they all have elec eng degrees they might know what to do.

Chrishew09
01-29-2006, 02:13 PM
I messed around with the “only capacitor idea” myself, it did not seem like it would offer enough control for a proper off the shelf solenoid. I considered winding my own solenoid but gave up after looking at those horrible emf equations to determine its dimensions. Electronics are not my thing at all.
It would be cool if it did work, my only goal is to lower the trigger pull so it can be walked… I always say “keep it simple stupid” and I think that if done right the only capacitor thing would be the best.

edit:
found this site...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html
I will have to go ask the avionics guys down the hall at school; they all have elec eng degrees they might know what to do.

Thats funny, I used the same schematic for my test curcuit and it seemed to work for me.
Click on the "LM555-Monostable Oscillator Calculator" link then scroll down to the "1 second oneshot monostable oscillator" schematics, that is what i'm using.

UglyIronman
02-05-2006, 08:15 AM
While you are at it, you should use a 556. It has two 555 chips in it.

One for the time you actually want the solenoid to open

One to regulate the overall cycle rate.

Sure, one is good enough for semi-auto, but as soon as you do that you're going to want three shot bursts.

Chrishew09
02-06-2006, 07:24 AM
While you are at it, you should use a 556. It has two 555 chips in it.

One for the time you actually want the solenoid to open

One to regulate the overall cycle rate.

Sure, one is good enough for semi-auto, but as soon as you do that you're going to want three shot bursts.

Check out my other thread:
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190662