PDA

View Full Version : New vs. Used E-mags?

SniperSmurf
01-28-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm finally just about ready to go electro for the first time and have a couple of questions. My first thought was to just go out and buy a new E-mag for $850, but with Vision Shockers and PM6s going for approx $100 less, I've hesitated.

My real question is how well used E/X mags hold up, or more specifically, the lowers? How long do the batteries/boards/'noids usually last? Does performance degrade at all over time?

Also, is it possible just to buy new lowers? I didn't see any on the site, just a ton of parts to build your own, but it ends up being more expensive that way. I imagine Tuna could hook me up with something, but didn't see complete lowers on Tunamart either. I have bought from him in the past though, and know he can come up with just about anything... and for a great price to boot! :hail:

Opinions?
Thanks! :D

Brian Terry AGD
01-28-2006, 06:46 PM
you can buy used emags anywere from 350to700,,then send it in to us ,we can tune it up or what ever is needed ,call and get an RA number from roman,then you can go out and bunker some fools..look on the marker forums ,.

Pyroboy597
01-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Some places have new Emags without the fancy ULE bodies for around $400. I do not know if their software is up to date, but if you really want an emag its worth a look.

master_alexander
01-28-2006, 06:50 PM
i love my emag... but im selling it... i have been there done that. i just dont stick with one gun that long. lol.

but ive had this for about a year or so. it was just tuned by my shop, but it didnt actually need it. lol.

you cant buy new lowers... look in the used forum.

i perfer used over new because its cheaper, and if there is something wrong then i can probably fix it really easy.

if you are looking to buy, im selling mine, pm me.

Arstron
01-28-2006, 07:30 PM
For the price, you cant go wrong with a used emag. For the money you save over a new emag you can do quite a few upgrades, or if you buy one that has quite a few upgrades, you still save quite a bit of money. They are a lot loke a regular automag, they hardly ever break, I havnt had a single problem out of mine. I am selling mine becuse I was needing the money, now its becuse I want to try somthing new, me and master alexander are in the same boat! :D

BeaverEater
01-28-2006, 08:24 PM
well i had an emag about 2 years ago and sold it for another gun. well i quit for a while and just came back and was considering another emag. but honestly for the money there are better used guns out there. most emags are selling for about 550 or so ule, and i just picked up a used dm4 for 450. that was really just a no brainer for me.

REDRT
01-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm finally just about ready to go electro for the first time and have a couple of questions. My first thought was to just go out and buy a new E-mag for $850, but with Vision Shockers and PM6s going for approx $100 less, I've hesitated.

My real question is how well used E/X mags hold up, or more specifically, the lowers? How long do the batteries/boards/'noids usually last? Does performance degrade at all over time?

Also, is it possible just to buy new lowers? I didn't see any on the site, just a ton of parts to build your own, but it ends up being more expensive that way. I imagine Tuna could hook me up with something, but didn't see complete lowers on Tunamart either. I have bought from him in the past though, and know he can come up with just about anything... and for a great price to boot! :hail:

Opinions?
Thanks! :D

I think the price off the AGD store is insain for a brand spanking new plain jane Emag. 850 for an all blk one and a grand for a basic colored ule body. Not even discounts for the stainless twistlock body. I picked mine up from a member here for 750 a few years back. A ULE tequila fade. AGD doesn't have anything like that anymore. If you real want an Emag you are way better off to find it on the used market. Sometimes you can find tricked out ones now for less money than I paid a few years ago. The Emag is pretty reliable. The battery, board and noids just keep on a going. Granted they might not last forever, but so far I have no problems. I'm guessing mine to be 4 to 5 years old maybe older. I have never seen brand new lowers offered only used ones, but that means they don't exist. If they did exist they most likly are long gone. With the right upgrades the emag is still a contender in preformance to any new markers in my opinion. By the time one gets all the upgrades done you can, one have a good amount of money into it. Mine is nearing completion. In the end I will have maybe around 1500 in to mine :eek: (I must be nutz), but if you wanted an octane shocker for instance you would almost have that into it. I can better justify it a little at a time. The Emag is my personal favorite of the mag line up and it will remain as my main marker always.

Loguzzzzzz
01-29-2006, 11:30 AM
I have found that the E mag will hold its value better then the other "high end" markers.

Like BeaverEater stated:
"most emags are selling for about 550 or so ule, and i just picked up a used dm4 for 450. that was really just a no brainer for me."

The Emag has stood the test of time......Look at the "high ends". They change at least every couple of years, if not every year (lately). You already know how reliable mags are.

Emags are more durable and you always have the "Hybrid" design, if the electronics do fail it is the flick of a switch and you play on.

I have a DMC, DM5, G7 and '05 Speed but I always end up using my mags. Can't explain it...........it just happens.

I would go with a used E mag.

IMHO-Just my $0.02

Troen
01-29-2006, 02:03 PM
yarg, get lowers tuned by tunaman. he does an amazing job on the hall sensor and it fires faster then you'd think.

MicroMiniMe
01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
The Emag is very solid and reliable. Very rare to see stories of people needing new boards or noids. So a used Emag will definately save some coin.
If you must have new, you might be able to get just the lowers from Tunaman. New lowers by themselves will probably run the price of a fully ULE used Emag though. If you buy just lowers, be sure to buy the Emag on/off assembly for whatever valve you pick up also.

minimag03
01-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Some places have new Emags without the fancy ULE bodies for around $400. I do not know if their software is up to date, but if you really want an emag its worth a look.

Where? I want one :cool:.

Tao
01-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah Emags will last a very long time. It is all a question of how much patience you have :) You can wait for the right price on an emag in the colour you want on ebay or go new. If you hold out long enough you could pick up a used x mag for cheaper than a new emag. I just picked up an x mag for $790 with a warp on ebay(just waitin for it to arrive).

Anyway my suggestion is study the trends on what is selling here and on ebay. Right now there are some emags where the sellers are trying to rip people off. See what you can get (gun with/without warp, barrels included, etc) for how much $$$.
I would take an emag over almost any marker. The only disadvantage an emag has is no fancing firing modes (really only for those open games) or "cheater" ramping for that matter. You would see alot more emags if people weren't buying guns just for their ability to cheat.

SniperSmurf
01-29-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm with ya there MiniMag. No kidding?!? $400? Google failed me on that one...
Thanks for all the input guys! Not ready to buy just yet, but thanks for the offers.
I'm gonna look into some other alternatives before deciding for sure. I've read some of the DevilMag thread, but at what, ~30 pages?, it's a little much to handle in one sitting! Don't know if I could even still get one, but $550 for Mod #2 (I supply body/rail/valve) seems good. Looks much nicer than the SpyderMags I've seen though! The ramping option would be cool to play around with too... :ninja:

Edit: Tao, I must've been typing when you posted your reply. When I say "play around", what I really mean is "make my kids mess their pants and :hail: me" ;)
I've never played an open game, in fact I play mostly rec/woods ball, which is why I've never really even considered electros until now. Just want to try something new for awhile. In fact, I'm thinkin' about picking up one of those C3s as well... Pretty funky, and cheap for taggin' them pesky lawn gnomes which have invaded my back yard!

RapidTransit
01-29-2006, 07:14 PM
I got mine comepletely mint and unscratched for $300 last year. :headbang:

Tao
01-29-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm with ya there MiniMag. No kidding?!? $400? Google failed me on that one...

Edit: Tao, I must've been typing when you posted your reply. When I say "play around", what I really mean is "make my kids mess their pants and :hail: me" ;)
I've never played an open game, in fact I play mostly rec/woods ball, which is why I've never really even considered electros until now. Just want to try something new for awhile. In fact, I'm thinkin' about picking up one of those C3s as well... Pretty funky, and cheap for taggin' them pesky lawn gnomes which have invaded my back yard!

Yeah I didjn't see this until now. I wasn't aiming it at you just the cheater ramping (epidemic??) out there and people using the excuse: "..I am getting a gun with cheater ramping so that I can keep up with the players who are actually cheating..."

Anyway you won't be dissapointed with an e mag. :)

Skoad
01-30-2006, 12:04 AM
just a tip if you go used: don't believe the "shot counts" on the screen and think that its brand new. When I owned an emag it probably reset its shot counter a half dozen times. Not exactly sure when it did it, maybe when you charge the battery and it has no physical memory onboard. I always see people selling the first run emags, nice and beat up and say 'oh its only got 234 shots on the counter!'.

SniperSmurf
01-30-2006, 12:16 AM
just a tip if you go used: don't believe the "shot counts" on the screen and think that its brand new. I always see people selling the first run emags, nice and beat up and say 'oh its only got 234 shots on the counter!'.

Good tip, thanks!
I'm still trying to make my way through that "Official DevilMag" thread... Man, that thing's long!

athomas
02-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Emags hold up very well. Mine is almost 6 years old and still my favorite gun. It still works like a charm. I use it all year round. I expect it has well over 100000 balls fired from it, not counting the dry fires. The battery is showing signs of getting weak, but that is expected after this age. I had the battery reconditioned and it brought it back to 80% capacity. Other than that only a few minor parts have worn out, such as sear, bolt springs, regulator piston assembly, and the odd oring. They are wearable parts so that is expected anyway. I could probably sell my emag for near what I paid for it, when I bought it used many years ago.

Temujin
02-01-2006, 08:45 PM
I have an E-Tac, 2 X-mags, and an E-Chord. I won' tbe getting rid of these anytime soon. They've been very reliable for me. I did do some customizations and with every change you have to retune and set everything, but once that's done it's pretty reliable. As for the inability to have cheater modes. I've gone through the trouble of dropping in a predator board for two of these and getting a break beam eye installed for my E-Tac. I have 3 mags on back up, but never get a chance to use them seeing as is that my E-Tac never fails me. It's the only paintball marker than can switch to mechanical if ever your electronics fail you or battery dies, but that almost never happens since I always charge my battery before game day. Everyone else I now has moved on to Shockers, Angels, and Ions. Let's just say I always make it out on to the field, while the other without fail still constantly have issues with their guns every time we go out to play. They've gotten their stuff tuned from master techs and they're still having intermittent problems. I suppose if they had gotten to know their guns really well they could troubleshoot their markers better, but I've got to say the the other guns out theres are a little more complicated than the mag to learn. I know mine well enough to fix 90% of any conceivable problem. Most of it is already worked out in the break in period anyway. The positions of where the hybrid selector switch and on/off for the X-Mag could do with a re-position because I tend to toggle them accidently, maybe because I'm a lefty, but it happens. But a quick switch to mechanical in mid game is the quick fix and you can take a look at the problem later off field. Nothing is worse than having to walk out of a game because your marker is dead in the water. It'll never happen on the mag, well if you're out of air of course. The mags do tend to use more air than something like the Angel, but you've got a lot of pros to balance that out.