PDA

View Full Version : DVRs?

theraidenproject
12-13-2001, 04:06 PM
Anyone have a Replay, Tivo, or UltimateTV (microsoft's offering)? I have the original 20 hour Replay. It is amazing. Channel guide, search, pause, I love it. I don't like Tivos b/c of a.) the logo ;) and b.) the "you might like this show" thing. My friend has tivo and says it gets annoying and doesnt find good shows. I've never used the microsoft one, but it's microsoft, so I'll stick w/ replay. Also, I think it's only for direct tv. I highly reccomend ANY dvr than none, though. be warned: once you have it for a day, it will become indispensible. The new replays look awesome, especially the model w/ 320 hours *drool*

Hexis
12-13-2001, 04:23 PM
I have had both a Stand Alone TiVo and currently a Direct TV w/TiVo (or DirecTiVo). I love TiVo. It changes what TV is and can be. Never again do I have to worry when something is on. I just setup TiVo to record a season pass and it will record it whenever it's on.

Cool TiVo PVR features:
You can watch anything that's recorded on the unit at any time. That includes a partial recording that's in progress.
Setup a Season Pass and the show will record even if the time changes
Setup Season Pass priorities, highest priority will be recorded. Good for when a show is repeated often.
Standalone units are compatible with pretty much any cable/sat/antenna combination you can think up. I used mine with DirecTV and Cable at the same time.

Very Cool DirecTiVo features:
2 tuners. Record two shows at the same time. Watch one of the shows or a different recording while two are being recorded.
Ability to record 5.1 Dolby Digital for channels that send it out.
TOSLINK interconnect (like any 5.1 DD sat receiver). Use a single fiberoptic cable to your receiver (got to have tos in on the receiver)

To address theraidenproject's issues
1. Get over it, the TiVo guy owns you! ;)
2. Just turn it off, it's only an option. I don't use it.

theraidenproject
12-13-2001, 06:57 PM
my friend didn't say you could turn it off. I'm sure he'll be very glad to hear that. A dual tuner would be nice on replay, but it might have one on the new models (i think, don't hold me to it). I like the replay's interface a little more than tivo's. All in all, though, they're both great, and you can't go wrong either way.

theraidenproject
12-16-2001, 07:54 PM
noone else has a DVR?????