PDA

View Full Version : The "one for one" trend

punkncat
01-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Has anyone else noticed this trend with players having to pull a one for one, even if they have to blatently play on to accomplish it?

A few members of the team I used to play with invited me along to a scrimmage. Pretty much just a day of advanced open play. Nothing was on the line, no real winners or losers. There were a group of guys there who every single game, every single elimination they would continue to play for a second or two trying to get a one for one.

I had a run in with one of the guys several times. I got him one time coming up the tapeline, turned to shoot at another guy who was coming right up behind him, and the first one shoots me three times up my side. I turned back and stitched him up. Told him not to shoot me late and to get the heck of the field. The second time we were both in mirrored doritos about 15 feet apart. He tries to pull a Rambo and runs to the tapeline while firing at me. I got him with three shots right as he came out. He takes two more steps shoots about 30 balls at me(only hit me once) and then starts running down the tapeline shooting other players on my team.

Myself the field ref and the other players on my team went off on the guy and the rest of his group. All of them had been doing this to some extent the entire day. They were all packed up and left within a few minutes afterward. It was a good thing for the one guy in particular as school was about to be in session.....

I have noticed this becoming more and more prevelent, especially since ramping has become more accepted in open play.

Tao
01-29-2006, 05:03 PM
It is true. Even in the speed ball league I have played in which is pretty small commpared to other places in North america people still cheat. Basically the tamest is to keep playing until a ref calls them out.
There are sollutions to this that no one realises:
1) Train your refs!!!!!!!
2) have a ref FOR EVERY MAN ON THE FIELD!! each player is watched closely. In speedball it is not much concern for the ref to gve away a players position but this has to be considered to.
3)I prefer point penalties for playing on on top of a plus one. I have seen it where someone plays on to eliminte the last 2 men on the field and his other buddies finish the game. (you can almost ask: why not play on when it is 3 on 2????)
4)have a 3 strikes system PER TEAM!!

68magOwner
01-29-2006, 07:35 PM
....yeah, your not talking about a "one for one" at all, a one for one is a penalty, not a mutual call, but, mmk, it happens, it shouldnt, but, its going to keep happening.

Phantom_Mag
01-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah, it mostly happens with agressive front players, apearently it runs in their blood. Its the biggest scam in professional paintball in my opinion. In alot of cases the person making a run gets shot before he gets anyone and shoots more then just one player while he should be considered out. But hey if the ref didn't pull his arm band, he still in! Right? So thats why the pros run down as fast as they can.*Sigh* Professional paintball, how sad.

68magOwner
01-29-2006, 08:31 PM
But hey if the ref didn't pull his arm band, he still in! Right? So thats why the pros run down as fast as they can.*Sigh* Professional paintball, how sad.

....Yeah, he is just in enough to get penaltys against him for doing that. I really dont think its a big issue in the pro leagues, because, they want to avoid penaltys. But, i could see it being a problem in rec ball and local tourneys.

Troen
01-29-2006, 08:37 PM
3 strikes lead to a death penalty.

Phantom_Mag
01-29-2006, 09:12 PM
....Yeah, he is just in enough to get penaltys against him for doing that. I really dont think its a big issue in the pro leagues, because, they want to avoid penaltys. But, i could see it being a problem in rec ball and local tourneys.
Have you seen any pro turnies lately? Its in a practically ever game! I laugh every time i watch my dvds and wonder why I even bought them. People are more willing to do anything when money is on the line.

Cow hunter
01-29-2006, 09:55 PM
where i play people try to go for "one plus one" and then its okay to be out

AJInABox09
01-29-2006, 10:13 PM
i dont know much about tourney ball, but what is a one for one?

Phantom_Mag
01-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Well a "One for One" is really a penalty where if you cheat in a game they will pull you and one of yoru teammates, but he is refering to a player getting shot out and still playing shortly on just to get the other person out, so its one for one.

Ace12GA
01-29-2006, 11:49 PM
We get that with the odd new person that joins our bushball games. He usually does it once, then is lit up the next round by a couple of guys on the opposite team. They rarely do it again. We did have one guy that did it regardless of being lit up, and the simple solution was to just not invite him to play anymore. He was really pissed after he found out we had played several games without him. Maybe we'll let him back for another game this year, and see if his manners have improved.

BD_Paintball
01-30-2006, 12:08 AM
That’s when your team teaches that kid a lesson and shoots him about 15-20 times. As a mid player I will overshoot someone up bad if they do that. and i have yet to get pulled for it

68magOwner
01-30-2006, 02:51 PM
We get that with the odd new person that joins our bushball games. He usually does it once, then is lit up the next round by a couple of guys on the opposite team. They rarely do it again. We did have one guy that did it regardless of being lit up, and the simple solution was to just not invite him to play anymore. He was really pissed after he found out we had played several games without him. Maybe we'll let him back for another game this year, and see if his manners have improved.

yeah....i find that politely asking the person to not do it again can be just as effective than "lighting someone up". People really need to stop being so juvenile about pitty issues.

Oh, and, yes, i have seen pro tourneys latley, in fact, i practice with professional teams on a weekly basis, and, no, i do NOT feel that playing on in an attempt to get a mutual call is a big issue with them. Now,having hits magically disappear, thats a different story, but, rarley do you see a guy tromping down the field with obvious hits on him trying to shoot a few extra people, thats going to get you big penaltys.

Ace12GA
01-30-2006, 03:47 PM
yeah....i find that politely asking the person to not do it again can be just as effective than "lighting someone up". People really need to stop being so juvenile about pitty issues.

Well, not to defend the action, but I don't really find it particularly juvenile. Then again, I don't feel it to be a very petty issue either. Its cheating. The guys I play with are usually 25 to 35 years old; I myself am 28. None of us like cheating. Our reaction happens to be over-shooting the cheater the next round, letting them know to call their hits. Its effective. Is it the most mature solution? Probably not. Have we tried talking to the people that cheat? You bet we have. Did they keep cheating afterwards? Why yes, yes they did. Did they cheat again after getting over-shot once? For the most part they did not; there is always an exception of course.

Meh, I'm not trying to come off as inmature, as I suppose my first post does. Thats fair. I just didn't feel like writing out a long well composed response at the time. I don't generally over-shoot people, I rarely use a single pod during a game; though I do carry three. I take cheating seriously however, and am offended when I see it take place, at any level. The last time I played a tourney feild, atleast a year ago, I was disgusted by the ref's, the players, and the general acceptance of cheating; both by seasoned players and walkons. I saw one guy teaching 3 newbie walkons on his team how to whipe. You should have saw the looks I got when I suggested whiping was cheating. I haven't played there since, nor will I again. Its that general acceptance of cheating that bothers me, and most of the guys I play with.

68magOwner
01-30-2006, 05:52 PM
The reason why i feel that cheating is SO prevelant, is, that, players have analyzed the risk/benefit factor, and, as a part of the game (not a moral issue) the benefits greatly outweigh the risk. Say a player wipes 10 times, they get cought once, at least 80% of the time, you can argue your way out of a major penalty. So, the chances of getting cought, and getting a major penalty for wiping, is slim to none. It happens what, mabey once per large event, and just imagine all the shots being wiped if there are 10 players per game (5 per team), probably which the majority of cheat, up to a few hundred games, thats alot of wiping going on, with very few if any penaltys getting handed out for it. I say that if the penaltys were more harsh, it would MAJORLY cut down on the cheating factor in todays tourney scene. Because, as it stands, it has become mostly disregarded as a moral factor, and just accepted as another aspect of the game.

punkncat
01-30-2006, 06:12 PM
The reason why i feel that cheating is SO prevelant, is, that, players have analyzed the risk/benefit factor, and, as a part of the game (not a moral issue) the benefits greatly outweigh the risk. Say a player wipes 10 times, they get cought once, at least 80% of the time, you can argue your way out of a major penalty. So, the chances of getting cought, and getting a major penalty for wiping, is slim to none. It happens what, mabey once per large event, and just imagine all the shots being wiped if there are 10 players per game (5 per team), probably which the majority of cheat, up to a few hundred games, thats alot of wiping going on, with very few if any penaltys getting handed out for it. I say that if the penaltys were more harsh, it would MAJORLY cut down on the cheating factor in todays tourney scene. Because, as it stands, it has become mostly disregarded as a moral factor, and just accepted as another aspect of the game.

Exactly. The risk of punishment is lesser than the benefit of trying to play on.

It is absolutely disgusting where the game is going. Its not just speedball. Its woodsball too. I am much like Ace12GA. I have played ball with a private group of people for years before I was introduced to speedball. We all got along well without a ref using the honor system to play. Those that turned out to be less than honorable weren't invited back, It was as simple as that.

In the last few years I have been doing the majority of my speedball play at one field that happens to be decent and close to home. But much more than how the field is to play on, its such a better place to play AT. All the staff and regular players are of a like mind concerning the honor and integrity that should be a natural part of the game. Most every person who plays there is what I would call a "good" (honest, honorable, whatever) player.

Lately I have been visiting different fields in the area. I have been able to go and play at these places w/o an event going on. Most of my previous experiances there were during tourneys or special events. Its hard to get a feel for a place during something like that.
Since visiting these different venues I see more and more of this complete lack of integrity many players have. Its just a trip seeing this stuff so blatently while in a simple open play game.

Pyroboy597
01-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Some people get so into the game that they lose all sense of humanity. They get a rush and all the yelling and shooting gets them going, then you should them and they forget the rules. I hate that.

Garr, those wippersnappers should eat barnicles for an eternity :argh:

White_Noise
01-31-2006, 05:11 PM
That’s when your team teaches that kid a lesson and shoots him about 15-20 times. As a mid player I will overshoot someone up bad if they do that. and i have yet to get pulled for it

i pretty mcuh end up in the same position as BD on stuff like this. if i see a guy do it to one of my teammates, they are catching paint untill they stop running. thats why if i shoot a guy that is running up the tape, i will shoot atleast 3-5 balls at them, pull in, then shoot again to make sure. i dont like overshooting people, but then again, i dont like getting shot when i know they were out.

electriceel125
01-31-2006, 06:10 PM
I hate people who do this. A few months ago i was playing, really getting my tail stomped in by a top team from the cfoa. One of their guys tries to bunker me so i come out shoot five times. Three in the mask. He keeps running after i am back in my bunker and shoots im in the back a number of times. This is the closest i have ever been to arguing with a ref. :mad: