PDA

View Full Version : Spydermag conversion idea

nyarlathotep
01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
I've been playing around with the idea of either making a pneumag or a spydermag out of my classic and came up with something interesting: what if, instead of turning/positioning the solenoid to trip the sear directly, weld on a wee piece of steel at the end of the sear (on the on/off side) and having it push that. The force would be applied farther from the pivot point, increasing the torque, making the concept feasible. Also, since the sear spring in a spyder/clone eframe returns the solenoid plunger to its original position, thus either a small spring would be needed, or one could simply rely on the see-sawing action of the sear to re-set it (basically to rely on the on/off pin to have enough pressure to push bach the plunger as well as the sear)

Seems feasible, except for one thing - how the hell am I going to fit the solenoid, as well as the whole sear-mod-thing in a frame. This whole design was an offshoot of a bull-pup type thing (as was posted on ebay not too long ago), where there would be ample space to put stuff in the back of the stock. Or, you could also weld on a piece of metal, and have the solenoid be lower in the frame, and push up at an angle.

I'll have concept pics up sometime soon, but in the meantime, anyone have any input on feasibility of this? Anyone ever do something similar or seen something like this before?

Thanks.

Scott Hudnall
01-31-2006, 07:30 PM
It's been done and looks like a good idea.

here's the link: spydermag.....spydermag.....do anything that a spyder can.... (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143273&highlight=spydermag)

nyarlathotep
01-31-2006, 07:58 PM
well, i made a picture, but it wont let me post it. how the hell do i post pictures here?