PDA

View Full Version : Brass vs Stainless

Earthy
02-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Which are best to use in an x-valve, brass fittings for ss hose or stainless steel fittings? I'm afraid that the ss fitting might strip the aluminum valve. :eek:

Dayspring
02-01-2006, 10:31 AM
If you thread it on correctly, then it doesn't matter.

11 Bravo
02-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Use macro line. Its much better.

Dayspring
02-01-2006, 10:39 AM
How do you figure? Unless you get quality macro line (which most players don't) it has a burst pressure lower than the operating pressure of the mag.

I use Stainless Steel braid on EVERYTHING. No exceptions.

11 Bravo
02-01-2006, 11:26 AM
I have 6 mags and they all have the macro line. I have never had a problem and have also cranked the tank up to 1,100 psi (not recommended).
Most every marker on the planet uses macro line coming from the asa and they dont have problems either. Join this century. Quit living in the '90s.

Dayspring
02-01-2006, 12:59 PM
#1- Look at the pressure rating on your macro line. On "most" guns that are being used, they use a low pressure tank output. Roughly 450psi. That's not much over the standard macro line rating. Mags use twice that. No thank you.

#2- Most players use cheap macro line. How many go and buy the Parker stuff? Not many. They probably get a bunch of the cheap 32 degrees stuff. Look at that- it's thin on one side, and thick on another. IT'S A TUBE. IT SHOULD BE THE SAME WIDTH ON ALL SIDES.

#3- Just because YOU haven't had problems doesn't mean that they don't happen to other people.

#4- Nothing wrong with over-engineering something. Case in point- AGD.

#5- I'm perfectly in this century, have a low-pressure operating gun and all. But guess what kind of line I run? Stainless. It's personal preference. It may not be YOUR preference, but it IS a valid choice. And in my opinion, a superior choice in regards to the negative sides of Macro.

I have 6 mags and they all have the macro line. I have never had a problem and have also cranked the tank up to 1,100 psi (not recommended).
Most every marker on the planet uses macro line coming from the asa and they dont have problems either. Join this century. Quit living in the '90s.

11 Bravo
02-01-2006, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=Dayspring]#1- Look at the pressure rating on your macro line. On "most" guns that are being used, they use a low pressure tank output. Roughly 450psi.

Thats not so. Most of the bottles out there on those guns are putting out around 850 psi. I checked all this out before I went to macro line.

Sure they are lower pressure guns but most use regular output bottles and regulate it down with the reg on the marker.

camilion705
02-01-2006, 01:34 PM
I had a macro burst before... I couldnt hear anything but the loud ringing in my ears and my vision became oddly blurred for a few moments. Everything went into slow motion for what felt like a pretty long time also.

Do I still use macro today with my 800psi output tank?

Yep. Why? Its way more convenient to take off when teching the marker, lighter, looks better, and is less expensive.

This is the only incident in my entire paintball history and I wouldn't call it dangerous at all, of course it was quite inconvenient since I had to go buy another piece in order to play again...

JeepinCalifornia
02-01-2006, 01:41 PM
With all the good luck people have had with macro, maybe it's not so bad; statistically speaking. I'm one on the other side, however, and have had nothing but bad luck with the macro. So, despite the extra effort, I use SS on everything...I'll never have macro hoses or fittings (yes, fittings) fail on me again. ;)

FinchMan
02-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I think the original question was answered, and the thread was hijacked...

so I say, go get SS hardline!!! (there's last century for ya, but it still looks badass!)

Earthy
02-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Before this thread gets too hijacked :p ... how about some of you ss hose users letting me know if you've had any problem using steel fittings. And as for macroline, I have it on my mag now (the stuff Squid sells in the dealer form). Have I ever had problems with it, no. Have I heard about macro bursting, yes. Have I evn heard of ss hose bursting, no. Considering this I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I like the look of both (as long as the ss hose is an appropriate length - nothing like using 12 hose to go from valve to vertical adapter :eek: )

Dayspring
02-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I've used brass, aluminum and stainless fittings before. No problems either way.

REDRT
02-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Which are best to use in an x-valve, brass fittings for ss hose or stainless steel fittings? I'm afraid that the ss fitting might strip the aluminum valve. :eek:

Pretty much owner preference, either will work fine. Don't forget about aluminum also. Just for the sake of argue, "I to use the ss line". Never had luck with macro. Always blowing up at the worst time.

Beemer
02-02-2006, 02:07 AM

Whats best is whats rated. I have used the brass and stainless. Just use a QD on the 90 and once its in you dont have to remove it. Ya you can strip it if you OVER torque or cross it. What about the field strip screw? Its stainless. Carefull now :ninja:

I use Stainless Steel braid on EVERYTHING. No exceptions

#3- Just because YOU haven't had problems doesn't mean that they don't happen to other people.
#4- Nothing wrong with over-engineering something. Case in point- AGD.
#5- I'm perfectly in this century, have a low-pressure operating gun and all. But guess what kind of line I run? Stainless.

I've used brass, aluminum and stainless fittings before. No problems either way.

Yupper SS braid on Everything. I do have some Non SS but it is rated at 3000psi WP

Yup It DOES happen to other people.

Nothing wrong with over engineering when it comes to SAFETY :eek:

Where did ya get aluminum? [rated]

What kind of cookie ya want :cheers: or brew?

I had a macro burst before... I couldnt hear anything but the loud ringing in my ears and my vision became oddly blurred for a few moments. Everything went into slow motion for what felt like a pretty long time also.

Do I still use macro today with my 800psi output tank?

Yep. Why? Its way more convenient to take off when teching the marker, lighter, looks better, and is less expensive.

This is the only incident in my entire paintball history and I wouldn't call it dangerous at all, of course it was quite inconvenient since I had to go buy another piece in order to play again...

Why???????? After that happened. :wow: I can get my QD off as fast and as easy as you can. SS and or heat shrink is Macho[looks better] and Safety has no expense, Oh wait yes it does. How much is an Eye worth? When will you call it Dangerous?
Arent you supposed to Learn from experience?

No cookie 4 u

I use SS on everything...I'll never have macro hoses or fittings (yes, fittings) fail on me again. :clap: :clap: simple enough eh :hail:

I have a cookie for you to. What flavor ya want? :cool:

"I to use the ss line". Never had luck with macro. Always blowing up at the worst time.

Noooooo that just doesnt happen. That other guy says his never Blows.

I have to go get more cookies, what kind ya want?

Peace Out

http://home.comcast.net/~beemerone/AoIL.gif

fred1
02-02-2006, 03:20 PM
use SS brass is ugly, i have never seen macro burst, i've been playing for like 6 years and almost everyone around here uses macro....unless there gun came with something else.

OT but could someone plz say the pressure rating of macro or PM me with it, thanks

Earthy
02-02-2006, 05:05 PM
use SS brass is ugly, i have never seen macro burst, i've been playing for like 6 years and almost everyone around here uses macro....unless there gun came with something else.

Well as for ss being ugly, I'm using LuisV's Automags.org heat shrink (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187973) so other than having a larger diameter you really can't distinguish it from macro.

OT but could someone plz say the pressure rating of macro or PM me with it, thanks
I may be wrong but I believe Parker Macro and Squid's (two of the better around) have 500 PSI ratings. Found this on one of Tunaman's threads (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164554&page=1&pp=30).
500psi working pressure and 2000psi MINIMUM BURST PRESSUREParker Parflex Macroline Tubing for sale at .99 per ft in Black, Red, and Clear/Neutral colors. This line IS RATED at 500psi working pressure and 2000psi MINIMUM BURST PRESSURE

11 Bravo
02-02-2006, 05:53 PM
^^^ So it wont burst until 2,000 psi. What are you worried about. Who puts 2,000 psi into their gun?

Dayspring
02-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Because NORMAL macro doesn't have that high of a burst pressure rating.

Are you finally on the same page or are ya still being dense about it?

11 Bravo
02-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Oh no the sky is falling the sky is falling......your worrying about something that is very unlikely to exist. You go ahead and stick with your ss hose (it can blow to ya know).

So tell us and dont just make up a number. What is the burst rate of the average macro that people are using. Also how would you know what the average person is using.

Lighten up granpa.

Coralis
02-03-2006, 02:27 AM
I forget where ive seen it but someone is selling annodized (spelling?) alluminium fittings for the SS hose, If you want something that matches the marker and heat shrink (if used) a little better.

Dayspring
02-03-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't have to prove ANYTHING to you. If you want to prove me wrong, go ahead and do the research.

I know I'm right.

Oh no the sky is falling the sky is falling......your worrying about something that is very unlikely to exist. You go ahead and stick with your ss hose (it can blow to ya know).

So tell us and dont just make up a number. What is the burst rate of the average macro that people are using. Also how would you know what the average person is using.

Lighten up granpa.

11 Bravo
02-03-2006, 01:39 PM
No, I am right.

Dayspring
02-03-2006, 02:39 PM
That response means that you know that I have a valid point but you just won't admit it.

:rolleyes:

Alpha
02-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Peace not war. Love not hate.

11 Bravo
02-03-2006, 02:56 PM
NO, I think I am right and was trying to get the last word in. :)

Dayspring
02-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Features:

Stong plastic for extra strength
Nylon 12 flexible grade
Rated for 450psi - suited for low pressure markers
Sizing: .250 o.d x .170 i.d
Note: Working pressures are at 70 degrees F. On a hot 85+ day, most macroline hoses will fail if not properly regulated.

**This hose is rated for low pressure nitrogen tanks only (450psi). If you have any question about your tank, please call us 1-888-679-4327.**

Taken from PB Gear

Do they sell High Pressure kits? You bet. They sell ONE. But all the kits they had at the top of the page are LP. The HP one is well "below the fold."

Now, you'll also say "see! Properly regulated, they won't burst." We've never had a reg spike before have we?

And lastly, that diameter measurement isn't consistent. I've seen SO many kits with one side thinner than another.

So let's do some math...

Only ONE HP hose, and the rest have the warning down past a normal viewing pane. Add that to the chance that people use CO2 on these macroline kits, in the summer weather... Yeah... I think the chances of the line bursting are pretty good.

REDRT
02-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Not worth the arguement guys. To each his own. I'm sticking to SS cause it always works, but I'm curious as to the working/burst pressure rating of the SS braided?

11 Bravo
02-04-2006, 01:24 AM
See. Now if someone buys the wrong type then yeh they would have a problem, just like anytime you misuse(?) or mishandle equipment.
I would say that 90% of the new markers produced these days use macro line and no they are not using lP bottles (with the exception of a few like Angels).

Redrt,
I dont know what the burst rate is of ss hose but I am sure it is very high and you wont have anything to worry about unless its damaged or weakend by age.

MikeRosenthal
02-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Guys,
Some of you are missing the point, and Dayspring is going to go braindead beating his head against this wall.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STANDARD PRESSURE RATING

Not for fittings, tubing, shoes or socks. errr off track there.

Any fitting stainless or brass or plastic, material doesn't really matter. If you can't find the rating written on the object or packaging you HAVE NO IDEA what it's really rated at. NO the plumbing fittings at Home depot are NOT the same as the High quality ones you can find online or at better stores. Will it work? Probibly. Has it ever been pressure tested? NO!!!!

Anyway, the moral of the story is ALWAYS check the pressure rating on something before you run HP thorugh it (ESPECIALLY C02!!!!!) and you'll be safe.-

-MR

P.S. Assuming something is safe because you've never seen it happen is possibly the most ignorant and short sighting thing I've ever heard of.

Beemer
02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Whats best is whats rated.

Anyway, the moral of the story is ALWAYS check the pressure rating on something before you run HP thorugh it

Umm Ya. Lets start with a pressure vessel with 4500psi and then put on fittings, hoses etc.., down stream that dont have or are even rated for that pressure.

P.S. Assuming something is safe because you've never seen it happen is possibly the most ignorant and short sighting thing I've ever heard of.

Hmmm this is the world of Paintball. I.A.D.S.P.B.P.

Peace Out

rtfire1
02-04-2006, 09:15 PM
go ss i have had 4 hp micros blow out at the field i used to play at only one time was it a turned up reg, al the others where over used if you go micro, new lines after ever 20 games.

Earthy
02-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I forget where ive seen it but someone is selling annodized (spelling?) alluminium fittings for the SS hose, If you want something that matches the marker and heat shrink (if used) a little better.
Actionvillage has some coloured aluminum fittings (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=YTsSVWFBdbMSGCKnbq_S_WuIaRbXnGGfjik=?Cat egoryName=paintball-gas-systems-hoses-and-parts-gas-fittings) .

Dayspring
02-05-2006, 03:49 PM
That was my point. Every store I've ever been in sells the low pressure line. It means that not only are players not making an informed decision, they aren't given the CHOICE.

See. Now if someone buys the wrong type then yeh they would have a problem