PDA

View Full Version : SLY Equipment/ Barrels

SpecialBlend2786
02-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Anybody heard of them before? Looks like they have some pretty slick barrels out. Take a look:
http://www.slyequipment.com/

Steelrat
02-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I clicked the banner on PBN too. They do look very very sharp, and you have to love carbon fiber. As for the whole science behind their claims, such as the tapered barrel, I have no clue.

Man, that gray to red, to carbon fiber fade is stunning.

master_alexander
02-01-2006, 04:15 PM
i might have to get one of thoes...

Dryden
02-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I checked that out earlier after seeing the banner ad at PBN. I like their tech page, with such gems as:

"TAPERED bore allows paintballs to 'float' in barrel undisturbed for reduced drag and improved accuracy. Traditional stepped bores create excess turbulence due to sudden pressure changes."

and

"Nano Vapor Deposition (NVD) in the bore allows SLY to engineer the surface at the molecular level to reduce drag"

Uh huh. :rolleyes: They've figured out how to manipulate carbon fiber at the molecular level, yet somehow they can afford to sell this barrel for only $90. Whatever.

For more goodness from their website, check out the downloads link. You can get an online sticker sheet as a PDF.

Think about it.

:tard:

Rudz
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
saw the pbn banner, looked pretty sly...lol

Rudz
02-01-2006, 04:55 PM
is it 90 buxx for thr fronts and 90 for the backs??? or 90 a set..they are sold seperately so i think its 180, a set???

WARPED1
02-01-2006, 11:24 PM
For more goodness from their website, check out the downloads link. You can get an online sticker sheet as a PDF.

Think about it.

:tard:
What? Thet sell sticker sheets at Best Buy.

StygShore
02-01-2006, 11:35 PM
dang, cant even get their site to load. I choose HTML or Flash and it just locks on the next screen

Styg

WARPED1
02-01-2006, 11:37 PM
dang, cant even get their site to load. I choose HTML or Flash and it just locks on the next screen

Styg
I got the same thing. Thought it was just me. :eek:

jenarelJAM
02-02-2006, 01:03 AM
is it 90 buxx for thr fronts and 90 for the backs??? or 90 a set..they are sold seperately so i think its 180, a set???
looks to me like $30 per back, or $90 per set of 4, and $90 for the front.
Anyone got the inside scoop on these? any good? I'd like to hear some reviews. I want to know how it compares to a stiffi.

StygShore
02-02-2006, 01:15 AM
got it to work by typing the link in the address bar... not sure what the deal with that was. the barrels look nice, but I cant find any reviews or anyone that claims to shoot them

Styg

Wizzman
02-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Damn those barrels look really nice! What threads do these barrel's come in bc I couldn't find that info...

Rudz
02-02-2006, 01:43 AM
cocker threads..i want one..bad..and the carbon fiber grips im getting done....ahh sweetness...

VFX_Fenix
02-02-2006, 12:04 PM
It's actually kinda of interesting that they'd go a gradual step route rather than a definate step for their bore. Similarly their "NVD" is most likely just their fancy way of saying, "We use some flavor of plasma deopsition coating on our barrels" which is an entirely possible process.

I'd never buy one, but they do look kinda nice.

craltal
02-02-2006, 12:20 PM
$90 for the black front
$100 for the pro or camo front
$90 for the 4 pack of backs, black or "titanium"
$30 for single .689 back
spyder, cocker, angel, shocker, impulse, A-5, or 98 threading

NoLifeLeft
02-02-2006, 12:33 PM
ALWAYS CLEAN BARREL WITH PLUNGER TYPE SQUEEGEE. DO NOT USE CLOTH OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF SWAB.

hmmm. :confused:

Steelrat
02-02-2006, 12:35 PM
hmmm. :confused:

Stiffi has the same warnings. The fibers apparently snags the cloth.

ThePixelGuru
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Stiffi has the same warnings. The fibers apparently snags the cloth.
Wow, I guess the bore isn't nearly as smooth as most manufacturers would have us believe.

SpecialBlend2786
02-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Wow, I guess the bore isn't nearly as smooth as most manufacturers would have us believe.

No, it's smooth as hell, but think of carbon fiber like glass.

The carbon fiber is woven, then holes are drilled to create the porting. When the fibers of a squeege like a battle swab are inserted into the barrel, they can get snagged in the porting.

makes perfect sense to me at least...

latches109
02-02-2006, 04:06 PM
They're ripping, bittin',ste alin' sire's style and image.
look--> http://www.sireindustries.com/index.php?main_page=index

sire is one of my favorites, I'd get deadlywinds whisper barrel over this.

rkjunior303
02-02-2006, 04:06 PM
my buddy trashed his stiffi by using a battle swab

SpecialBlend2786
02-02-2006, 05:05 PM
here's something interesting:

The Sly barrels actually have two different layers of carbon grafite fibers. The inner layer is all uni-directional and the outer layer is woven. Not too sure if this would in practice make for an even smoother bore, but I guess it makes sense to an extent.

Does anyone know if Site or DW make thair barrels the same way?

Rudz
02-02-2006, 07:59 PM
They're ripping, bittin',ste alin' sire's style and image.
look--> http://www.sireindustries.com/index.php?main_page=index

sire is one of my favorites, I'd get deadlywinds whisper barrel over this.

that site makes clothes..i dont see any barrels??? wtf they cant use a red and black color scheme cuz another site has it??

VFX_Fenix
02-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Also consider, that like glass, the finish on the inside of the barrel, while smooth, can also pick-up scratches from debris that might be caught in the fibers of your battle swab.

SpecialBlend2786
02-03-2006, 04:24 AM
Also consider, that like glass, the finish on the inside of the barrel, while smooth, can also pick-up scratches from debris that might be caught in the fibers of your battle swab.

Actually that makes much more sense than my explination :tard:

latches109
02-03-2006, 01:53 PM
that site makes clothes..i dont see any barrels??? wtf they cant use a red and black color scheme cuz another site has it??

I was comparing their logo and clothing graphics, very similar. Maybe a coincidence, but probably a conspiracy :argh:

Troen
02-03-2006, 02:08 PM
a barrel is a barrel. but the fact that ones lighter doesnt make it worth the price. I'm happy with my cp barrel for now, it keelhulls.

tacq
02-04-2006, 02:00 PM
does any one have one of theis barrals might trade in my stiffi for it

snoopay700
02-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Man i love this, a "tapered barrel so the balls don't bounce" but think about it, if they make it so the bore of the front is the same as the biggest back, then it'll still be larger than the other back so balls will still bobble. And also, the tapering still allows for bobbling, it's just a bunch of bull****. If you really care that much about bore size, then get 5 different barrels with different bore sizes that have one id down the entire barrel, that'll be your best bet for acuracy.

PsychoBaller
02-14-2006, 03:28 AM
So does anyone have a set of these yet?

I'm really looking for some better reviews... or rather, alternative opinions, than the ones given on PBN.

-baller

nicad
02-14-2006, 01:04 PM
our Wisper barrels are made from uni + twill. It is supoe to be a stronger layup than 100% twill.
I know the Stiffis were made from 100% twill, but that might have changed since they changed ownership a while back. It is easier but much more expensive (especially now).

any CF barrel could catch fibers on a swab.:-/

PsychoBaller
02-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Soooo... Sly Barrel reviews?

If not, I think I'll buy a Whisper CF one then...

Banshee23
02-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Just get a Whisper or Stiffi, they're cheaper and will more than likely shoot just as good. Out of all the aftermarket barrels I've tried none ever shot more accurate than another, I usually ended up changing barrels more for looks and price. This is just another CF barrel with alot of hype behind it, reminds me of when the Hammerhead barrels came out, all of the early reviews on PBN claimed they were so amazing... Time showed it was just another nothing really special overpriced barrel. This one will probably end up the same way.