PDA

View Full Version : Some old Mag hype?

punkncat
02-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I am curious about some old info about the RT valves.

I remember reading somewhere concerning the Chrono procedure for RT's being the way it is because as you shot the marker fast it would heat up the air in the valve and cause your velocity to rise.

Every time I have ever ripped on my RT or X valve it actually cooled the valve, tank and reg.

So was this being said just hype? Was the special chrono procedure just a way to look as if you were shooting one speed when in reality you were shooting higher velocity? I say this because I could get one reading using the procedure, but when I shot the way I actually did on the field my velocities were higher.

Just curious, not flaming.

SpecialBlend2786
02-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, I remember my velocity creeping once or twice

Then again, that could be because of my dynaflow too :confused:

Don't have an older RT valve anymore to check though. And my Xvalve as far as I can tell does not heat up at all

magman007
02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
my rt valves always heated up, in my rt pro, my emag and my sfl, they all heated up, and the velocity creep was no joke. try chronoing an e-mag on e mode, then chrono it using the rt precedure, check the difference.

Tao
02-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I have noticed a bit of a creep but it seems that the x valve doesn't creep as much as an RT. My friend had an old rt emag valve and it would do this all the time.

Cow hunter
02-02-2006, 07:27 PM
mine unquestionably has velocity rise..... i shoot and it goes from 265 to 295 in one string...... and the cooling is probably from vaccum.... its like..... pull air out of a tank really fast and it cools rapidly; see "jet powered beer cooler" linkity (http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/)

REDRT
02-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I normally have mine set at 295fps over the chrono. The chrono at home records shot strings. During rapid fire I have seen it climb 10fps higher depending on the outside temp. I don't know about the Xvalve. Aluminum disperses heat quicker maybe there is less climb with one than a SS. I'm not too concerned about it. It is always back at 295 when I chrono off.

punkncat
02-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I say this because I could get one reading using the procedure, but when I shot the way I actually did on the field my velocities were higher.

I say this because the procedure called for you to hold in the trigger, release quickly and fire again. That was supposed to give a true reading of the velocity.

When actually shooting single shots by just quickly pulling and releasing the trigger the velocity would be easily be 10-15 FPS higher than by using the recommended method.

and the cooling is probably from vaccum

I understand that. In practice the valve seems to be cooling not heating.

So back on the original point...wouldn't the higher velocities being experianced from quick strings actually be due to the fact that the trigger isn't being held back and them quickly released and fired, like as I described above?

Dark Side
02-02-2006, 08:24 PM
didn't this thread just pop up a month ago?

GT
02-03-2006, 08:45 AM
mine unquestionably has velocity rise..... i shoot and it goes from 265 to 295 in one string[/URL]

You might want to have your gun checked out. That seems a little extreme. I have never used the RT procedure for chronoing. Honestly it is only a few fps difference

Beemer
02-03-2006, 02:10 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189746

I normally have mine set at 295fps over the chrono. The chrono at home records shot strings. During rapid fire I have seen it climb

What kind of chrono do you have? Will it measure FPS on a string of 15 in one second?
How fast is your rapid fire?

When actually shooting single shots by just quickly pulling and releasing the trigger the velocity would be easily be 10-15 FPS higher than by using the recommended method.

Well this sounds backwards to me. Maybe your reg cant keep up at speed and or has creep.
Whats the set up? Check your reg valve pin assembly.

Peace Out

http://home.comcast.net/~beemerone/AoIL.gif

SummaryJudgement
02-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I actually got to see some of the prototype RTs back in 97, before they were available to the general public. The Jacksonville Warriors would practice art the field I worked at occasionally. From what I understand they got some of the earliest chances to test the Rts for AGD.

From what I know, here's the deal:

They developed that particular chronograph procedure because if you knew how, you could get the velocity to spike by almost 30 fps. It had nothing to do with temperature. If you held the trigger down for longer than normal, then quickly released and re-pulled the trigger you could essentially charge the gun with more gas. Yes, they said that the chronograph procdure was to help simulate the valve heating up, but I don't think it had anything really to do with it.

I was on the receiving end of those early RTs and let me tell you, you could get them to shoot much higher velocities if you knew how. I would be long balling Jax players with my cocker and out ranging them. Then all of the sudden, you have this laser beam of a shot come flying past your head. Oh, and they liked to WAY over shoot people with them in the days. That's why I learned to like the RT and hate the Jacksonville Warriors. Of course that was almost ten years ago, so I doubt any of those guys even play anymore. ;)

beam
02-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I actually got to see some of the prototype RTs back in 97, before they were available to the general public. The Jacksonville Warriors would practice art the field I worked at occasionally. From what I understand they got some of the earliest chances to test the Rts for AGD.

From what I know, here's the deal:

They developed that particular chronograph procedure because if you knew how, you could get the velocity to spike by almost 30 fps. It had nothing to do with temperature. If you held the trigger down for longer than normal, then quickly released and re-pulled the trigger you could essentially charge the gun with more gas. Yes, they said that the chronograph procdure was to help simulate the valve heating up, but I don't think it had anything really to do with it.

I was on the receiving end of those early RTs and let me tell you, you could get them to shoot much higher velocities if you knew how. I would be long balling Jax players with my cocker and out ranging them. Then all of the sudden, you have this laser beam of a shot come flying past your head. Oh, and they liked to WAY over shoot people with them in the days. That's why I learned to like the RT and hate the Jacksonville Warriors. Of course that was almost ten years ago, so I doubt any of those guys even play anymore. ;)

I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I thought the chrono procedure for the RT was developed to simulate a rapid fire scenario. HPA heats up when decompressing unlike CO2 which cools down.

In a rapid fire situation, the CO2 powered mag will experience shoot down as the temp is decreasing. The RT will experience shoot up(?) as the temp increases.

REDRT
02-03-2006, 05:19 PM

What kind of chrono do you have? Will it measure FPS on a string of 15 in one second?
How fast is your rapid fire?

Peace Out

http://home.comcast.net/~beemerone/AoIL.gif

You know I don't remember off hand. It was actually my X roomate's chrono. We are both into firearms and part of that included reloading rounds. Needed the chrono to test them. You can buy them at Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Midway ect. Some are better than others. His would record the last 10 shots. I'd shoot a shot over the chrono to get a baseline fps. Then rapid fire off the chrono and while still firing shoot over the chrono to get an idea of the actual fps climb of a reactive valve. As far as shots per second I have no idea. Rt chrono percedures never really showed this climb.
The actual climb is much more than just 1 or 2 fps. Stick it on an E/Xmag, add ramping and one can get them balls to sizzle. Best part is the chrono off velocity almost always shows the same fps as where you had set at chronoing in. :cool:

Beemer
02-03-2006, 06:31 PM
From here post 8

I never saw more than 2-4 FPS “shoot-ups” (through a computer chrono)