PDA

View Full Version : masked fogging solved

cpt
02-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I have a JT goggle with thermal lense and still have problem with fogging. I went to vortex route and it was noisy and really didn't work. I took a CPU computer fan and a 9 volt battery and a slide switch and made my own. I JB welded the switch to the top of the battery clip, zip tied the fan on top of the goggle and taped the battery to the lense strap. Have used it for 3 years and works great. You can't hear it run, I only use it when I need it and clears things up quickly, and the battery lasts forever. I couldn't upload my picture but you get the idea. Most computer stores or a friend will give you a CPU fan .

peewee
02-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Thats where the idea for the vortex/etc started. :D CPU fans have always worked better but didnt look as good. They are a little on the ghetto side. they really do wonders for guys with glasses. :cool:

shartley
02-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Do what you have to do. I too only use my fan when needed, and usually only for a minute or two at a time.

cpt
02-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Yea, I wear glasses. And I don't care how getto it looks as long as it works. But, I guess it does look a little weird with a 9 volt battery taped to my strap but very few people comment on it.

FinchMan
02-07-2006, 06:00 PM
heh heh, imagine someone with a completely mechanical mag, pneumatic trigger, Qloader, and a 9volt battery zip-tied to his mask. :P

I normally dont get mask fogup, but what size fan did you use anyways?

Aslan
02-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Fogging is my number one enemy. :ninja:

I've lost so many more games because my mask has fogged up than I ever have because of the opposing team. I don't know why...maybe my head is at an above average temperature or my mask causes my exhaled air to blow back in...

...but anyway...I went in a local paintball shop and the kid behind the counter reccommended this goofy looking mask. He said the lens wouldn't fog. He breathed on it and nothing happened...it was pretty cool. Did I buy it? Nope. It was like $125!!! Instead, I bought a thermal lens for $15 on Ebay...no problem anymore. :clap:

I also tried the vortex fan (before I bought the thermal lens)...it did okay...but it made a weird noise all the time and gave me a headache. And like I said on another post recently...if you take a direct shot to it...it makes an even weirder noise and scares the cr$p out of ya! I still have it on my mask just to take care of my glasses...but I'm not sure how long that thing is going to last...one or two more direct hits and I'm pretty sure it's a goner! :shooting:

BeaverEater
02-08-2006, 12:23 AM
they make spray that stops fogging. I used to spray it on my glasses when i used to wear them playing. It works wonders. You can breathe like right on it and nothing happens. I think its like 5 bucks a bottle or something like that.

Glickman
02-08-2006, 01:55 AM
goto any store that sells scuba stuff. buy some antifogging cream, not the liquid, but the semi-hard stuff. then rise it off.

i also used a homemade cpu-fan, but used (2) 9 volts in a parallel circuit with a little LED and 2 way switch.

Vex
02-08-2006, 02:16 AM
goto any store that sells scuba stuff. buy some antifogging cream, not the liquid, but the semi-hard stuff. then rise it off.
Toothpaste will work in leiu of this as well.

riooso
02-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Toothpaste is a mild abrasive. It will ruin your lens.

Riooso

Aslan
02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
they make spray that stops fogging. I used to spray it on my glasses when i used to wear them playing. It works wonders. You can breathe like right on it and nothing happens. I think its like 5 bucks a bottle or something like that.

I've tried no Fog Spray, Wax, and Rain-X. All make your mask "blurry" and only work for like 1-2 games. That's my experience anyways. I still use the spray, for my glasses when I play paintball or hockey...but it didn't do anything for my mask. :(

sean33
02-08-2006, 07:57 PM
what is the weight like?...is it comfortable when you run?