PDA

View Full Version : Tuning automags

JAKEtheJAB
02-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I just bought a non-ULE emag, but I am new to Automags and therefore have a bunch of “newbie” questions.

First, what do you guys do to tune your automags? My old gun required new o-rings, oil and that’s it. I take it that tuning automags is a whole different ballgame. From reading the forums, the word “shims” kept appearing, I still have not figured out what the hell they are.

Second, how can I tell if I have a level 10? I have an E-valve, but I’m not sure if it has a level 10.

Help me become a name dropper.

grEnAlEins
02-09-2006, 08:13 PM
I just bought a non-ULE emag, but I am new to Automags and therefore have a bunch of “newbie” questions.

First, what do you guys do to tune your automags? My old gun required new o-rings, oil and that’s it. I take it that tuning automags is a whole different ballgame. From reading the forums, the word “shims” kept appearing, I still have not figured out what the hell they are.

Second, how can I tell if I have a level 10? I have an E-valve, but I’m not sure if it has a level 10.

Help me become a name dropper.
1) Oil, replace orings if needed (charge your emag when needed :p ) and add/remove shims for lvl 10 and ult and switch carriers for lvl 10 so that they operate to your liking
1)B) Shims are little pieces of metal that look like washers just super skinny.
2) take some two sided tape and tape a paintball to a pencil. Hold the ball halfway in ans halfway outof the breech. Pull trigger. If the bolt "chuffs" and resets you have level ten. If it chops you do not have level ten, but you do have a mess ;)

Hope it helps, good luck with the mag,

Nick

JAKEtheJAB
02-09-2006, 08:30 PM
1) Oil, replace orings if needed (charge your emag when needed :p ) and add/remove shims for lvl 10 and ult and switch carriers for lvl 10 so that they operate to your liking
1)B) Shims are little pieces of metal that look like washers just super skinny.
2) take some two sided tape and tape a paintball to a pencil. Hold the ball halfway in ans halfway outof the breech. Pull trigger. If the bolt "chuffs" and resets you have level ten. If it chops you do not have level ten, but you do have a mess ;)

Hope it helps, good luck with the mag,

Nick

Thanks Nick, what are the function of the "little pieces of metal that look like washers"? What does it mean to "switch carriers for lvl 10"?

grEnAlEins
02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks Nick, what are the function of the "little pieces of metal that look like washers"? What does it mean to "switch carriers for lvl 10"?

For shims:

Shim adjustments
Put a squeegee right in front of the bolt and pull the trigger. With very little clearance between the bolt and squeegee you will notice that the bolt comes forward and just stops on the squeegee. Then nothing else happens. Pulling the trigger does nothing to reset the bolt. In order to get the bolt to reset when it pinches a ball, we have to let the air out of the air chamber. The shims (5) control where in the forward stroke the air chamber starts venting. Its works a lot like the spacers in the original Mags. We left them out before so you could tell the difference between a carrier leak and a shim leak.

Remove the power tube tip (7) and drop in two shims (5). Make SURE they are sitting flat in the bottom of the power tube before you screw the power tube tip on otherwise you will bend them up. Bent shims are useless and you will have to buy more. Reassemble the valve system as before using the original main spring and new Superbolt. Now when you air up the marker it should not leak but when you do the squeegee test you will notice that the air starts venting when the Superbolt moves forward. If you keep adding shims eventually the bolt will just leak all the time. For most people two shims work just fine. If you find that when you pinch a ball the marker locks up and does not reset then add another shim.

This is from the level ten guide.

And carries:

Test the O-ring carrier
Now slide on your new Superbolt II with your original main spring (not one of the new ones) then reassemble the valve into the marker. Gas the marker up as see if it leaks. If it does leak use your finger or a squeegee to push the front face of the bolt around while its leaking. If the leak changes tone then it’s most likely the wrong O-ring carrier (4) and you have to go to the next one tighter. If it doesn’t leak you have the right carrier and can proceed to the next step.

Also from the level 10 guide.

the Level ten guide (http://www.automags.org/resource/level10/index.shtml) is super helpful, check it out. I got my level ten running fine after reading it and a few posts.

Hope that helps,

Nick