PDA

View Full Version : Automags+Speedball

Nick1717
02-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Do you think that automags like the Rt ULE are ok for speedball? How are they compared to electros like ions and things of that sort?

punkncat
02-09-2006, 08:47 PM
No, Automags will self destruct if they are even within 50 feet of a speedball field. They get really intimidated by the presense of electronic markers.

Please don't post this. Try a search, you will find lots of duplicate posts where this question has been asked, answered, and flamed on many times before.

68magOwner
02-09-2006, 08:49 PM
theyre fine, id rather shoot the ion myself, but, theyre fine

REDRT
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Do you think that automags like the Rt ULE are ok for speedball? How are they compared to electros like ions and things of that sort?

Sure they are fine. I'd suggest the ULT on/off for sure. An Rt can be very quick. My brother and I sometimes still use them playing speedball. Comparing them to Ions. If you practice sweetspoting with the ult you can ruffly achieve a rate of fire simular to that of an Ion. They are not too heavy, they have good reliablity, and easy to maintain. If it gets filth bombed for some reason clean it in a bucket of water and give a couple drops of oil. Try that with an electro. I've always liked mine. Even though the original Rt came out in the mid-nineties It still can hold it's own as an entry level tournament marker.

Ps: A line from the Ao rule book in case you didn't know; • Do not use excessive colors, bold letters, or ASCII characters

Pacifist_Farmer
02-09-2006, 09:44 PM
It all depends on what you are going to do with it, if the only reason you play speedball to shoot 1200+ rounds a game? Then no an RT is not for you. If you are looking to maybe aim and hit your target then yes an RT will work excellently.

Nick1717
02-09-2006, 09:48 PM
A little off subject, but how is the RPG Paradigm? Its newer and thats what I would get.

REDRT
02-09-2006, 10:22 PM
A little off subject, but how is the RPG Paradigm? Its newer and thats what I would get.

Not really. It is still an Rt. Which one are you looking at? The Paradigm pro or the classic? The better choice would be the pro. Sleeper rail, Lvl10 anti chop bolt, blade I-frame and ULT
I think it may be out of stock, but it would be a fine marker if you got one. The biggest differance between the RTpro from Agd and the RPG Paradigm pro is the rails. AGD is stock and RPG streamlined and lighter. Otherwise they are basicly the same.

warbeak2099
02-09-2006, 10:26 PM
It's fine for rec speedball and small, local tournies. I'd never use one in a pro or amateur game though. I'd use an electro mag for that... :headbang:

REDRT
02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
It's fine for rec speedball and small, local tournies. I'd never use one in a pro or amateur game though. I'd use an electro mag for that... :headbang:

That is my first choice also, but it is like you said.

REDRT
02-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Not really. It is still an Rt. Which one are you looking at? The Paradigm pro or the classic? The better choice would be the pro. Sleeper rail, Lvl10 anti chop bolt, blade I-frame and ULT
I think it may be out of stock, but it would be a fine marker if you got one. The biggest differance between the RTpro from Agd and the RPG Paradigm pro is the rails. AGD is stock and RPG streamlined and lighter. Otherwise they are basicly the same.

Edit: Doing a price comparison the RPG model is a better deal over one from AGD. No wonder why he is out of stock.

Pyroboy597
02-09-2006, 10:43 PM
This is not a topic that you will get a straight answer for. It is all about your view on the paintball world. Most poeple who say that mags are great for speedball dislike the fact that the sport is being taken over by 'super guns'. The other people will probably tell you that yes, they will work fine, but there are other better options if you plan to play speedball more often than scenario/rec.

Baby Huey
02-09-2006, 10:52 PM

I have a RPG paradigm and it is great. I dont use it on the speedball field because I have 2 shockers and run them. It is a great marker that could run very well on any rec day speedball course. If you are getting a mech marker get the RPG. Good luck and God Bless.

camilion705
02-09-2006, 10:53 PM
it all depends on your style of play. If you want to dump paint as fast as all the other guys with PSP ramping electros, then no, the Automag is a bad choice.

On the other hand, if you don't want rampingish firepower then a Mag is great. Works for me!

REDRT
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
It is all about your view on the paintball world. Most people who say that mags are great for speedball dislike the fact that the sport is being taken over by 'super guns'. The other people will probably tell you that yes, they will work fine, but there are other better options if you plan to play speedball more often than scenario/rec.

Well yah there is always other options. My personal favorite is an Emag. Sort of an end all solution. Contrary to popular speedball belief the RT will hold its own even against "super guns". Matter a fact I've seen well rounded players take out the quote "super guns" with phantoms on the air field. Play hard, play to win and practice x 3. It is how you play, team work and not so much the gun that wins the game. Truth is that mags in general are not the most popular choice these days on any air field period, but it isn't because they can't hang. I'm mag bias. To me there isn't any one better marker, only the proper mag for the job. I say bring on the super guns. There is a mag/mag upgrades for every level of play. ;)

Dye Angel Guy
02-09-2006, 11:44 PM
i used a minimag with hyperframe back in day like 6 years ago when they first came out and it was perfect and before that with the mechanical double trigger it was still fine. I used my RT Pro (back up) at a tourny and honestly they are really fast. Moving on to the emag, lets just say people hated my emag because it was like a machine gun out there. I have never shot more paint in all my life with my minimag 8 inch barrel on there. I have been playing for 9 years and have shot them all. I prefer the shoebox shockers with all the Hyper Sport Works parts, then Angels (currently shooting), and then Emags or mags in general.

REDRT
02-09-2006, 11:56 PM
It all depends on what you are going to do with it, if the only reason you play speedball to shoot 1200+ rounds a game? Then no an RT is not for you. If you are looking to maybe aim and hit your target then yes an RT will work excellently.

1200 balls or so in a game. Well say you have your player with an RT and he has that much paint and air in the first place. In a 5 minute game that is 300 seconds. Say you are only shooting 2 minutes or 120 seconds out of the total time with running to bunkers or reloading
One should be able to get atleast 10bps out of an Rt with a ULT. 10x120=1200 OMG the RT is a super gun! :dance: :D

BD_Paintball
02-10-2006, 12:09 AM
they are fine for small events but if you want to become a serious tourney player i would not bring that on the field. i would get a nice electronic gun if you want to play serious tourneys

Dye Angel Guy
02-10-2006, 12:18 AM
UW? Like Wisconsin? You are right for small events they are fine but later on they just can't keep up.

MoeMag
02-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Nothing is better than walking onto a speedball field wearing jeans with a stock classic valve single trigger mag with a revvy pipe clamped to the top! The looks are priceless.

Then after I warm up I go get my Dye gear on, grab my x-valve, intelliframe, 92/4500 maxflo, SS freak and Halo B and go to town! They don’t mind r/t triggers at my field. THHPPPPPBBBB! Reload!!! THHPPPBBBB! GAME!

BD_Paintball
02-10-2006, 12:26 AM
UW? Like Wisconsin? You are right for small events they are fine but later on they just can't keep up.
yes UWW. University Wisconsin Whitewater, we are hosting a tourney at BFG on march 4th so if you live close you can stop by and watch. i once had a all uped, ule, x-vlave, blah blah and i got rid of that once i started to play more tourneys. get a good electro first then you will not have to buy a new gun in a few months

REDRT
02-10-2006, 12:38 AM
yes UWW. University Wisconsin Whitewater, we are hosting a tourney at BFG on march 4th so if you live close you can stop by and watch. i once had a all uped, ule, x-vlave, blah blah and i got rid of that once i started to play more tourneys. get a good electro first then you will not have to buy a new gun in a few months

Are you a Whitewater Warhawk? I'm just down the road in Darien.

Dye Angel Guy
02-10-2006, 12:52 AM
PM me with all the event info including pricing and team sizes; the whole 9 yards. I will have to see if anyone from our Paintball Club wants to go. i.e. University of Dubuque, Dubuque, Iowa.

Pacifist_Farmer
02-10-2006, 08:16 AM
I think the major thing that keeps mags of the speedball field at tournaments is the fact that everyone "thinks" they arent good enough. A team won't pick you up as a player unless they think you have the "aggest" gear, and can shoot fast as the pros.

Lohman446
02-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I shoot very little, my speedball game consists of movement and angles. It would work wonderfully well.

My backplayers who routinely go through 8 pods a game would have an issue.

Aslan
02-10-2006, 10:15 AM
I guess it depends on the level of play.

Airball vs. Speedball...a rec game on an airball field, a Mag is great. My best "airball" performance was with my old Spyder...non-electric. I just placed my shots well, used angles an cover, and moved. Took out all 3 guys on the other team. Granted, they weren't that experienced and were using Tippmann A5s...but my point is...in a rec airball game...you just need to play well and you can sometimes overcome numbers/firepower.

A "speedball" game where people are ramping and dumping thousands of rounds into the air...well, then I guess you should go with the fastest thing ever created...which I don't believe is an Ion.

If I ever got to the level of tournaments and such, I might make an investment in an E-Mag...I think that would give you the firepower and the quality.

REDRT
02-10-2006, 10:55 AM

Hey Nick. Since we are hashing it out here on your thread maybe you could fill us in. Are you just getting into speedball? What are your plans reguarding playing speedball and paintball in general? What position might you play? Even though an RT will work and work good for the lower level of play there is varibles to consider.

Lohman446
02-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I have an open class tournament this weekend that some pretty good teams will be at.

I have parts in the mail from Tuna to finish my "ultimate mechanical mag".

Coincidence, or a sign that I should test the theory?

11 Bravo
02-10-2006, 12:16 PM
^^^^^^ Its a sign.

geekwarrior
02-10-2006, 12:45 PM
let us know how it goes :shooting:

paullus99
02-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I've done two tournaments so far (5-man) with my mag. We took 5th at the first one & 1st in the second. With one exception, all of us on the team were using mechanicals. We won in skill & not volume - we were at the 50 before most teams got settled into their first bunkers.

REDRT
02-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I have an open class tournament this weekend that some pretty good teams will be at.

I have parts in the mail from Tuna to finish my "ultimate mechanical mag".

Go for it. I aired up the RT today and was playing with it a little. I just might play more with it this year.

SlartyBartFast
02-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Edit: Doing a price comparison the RPG model is a better deal over one from AGD. No wonder why he is out of stock.
And getting a stock AGD marker from a dealer will be cheaper still.

i would get a nice electronic gun if you want to play serious tourneys
Serious should define how commited to the game you are and what skill you have. Serious shouldn’t be about having the ateset “in” gadgets and clothing.

A team won't pick you up as a player unless they think you have the "aggest" gear, and can shoot fast as the pros.
An unfortunate reality. But, that’s the choice to make. Use the equipment you like and are comfortable with and get on a team that respects you and your skill, or get the latest “in” stuff and join the rest of the posers trying to be part of the crowd.

My backplayers who routinely go through 8 pods a game would have an issue.
Someone who speaks the truth.

A "speedball" game where people are ramping and dumping thousands of rounds into the air...well, then I guess you should go with the fastest thing ever created...which I don't believe is an Ion.
You’re buying into the myth that faster is better. Think instead “how fast is fast enough?” or “How fast is used in game play anyways?”
Really fast strings may be good for a back player trying to lane. But for front? Another ball or two while snap shooting MIGHT increase your chances of getting an elimination. But good skill and practice should be better at eliminating your need for luck.

Of course it’s a sign. But what needs tested?

Lohman446
02-10-2006, 05:54 PM
A team won't pick you up as a player unless they think you have the "aggest" gear, and can shoot fast as the pros.

An unfortunate reality. But, that’s the choice to make. Use the equipment you like and are comfortable with and get on a team that respects you and your skill, or get the latest “in” stuff and join the rest of the posers trying to be part of the crowd.

I would call it a cop out :), at least much of the time. "I'm not picked early because I shoot a mag". Funny, I stopped by the field on the way to dinner last year, dressed in good jeans, a good shirt, and dress shoes. I decided to play a game. I picked up a rental marker and stuffed a pod in my back pocket. I can assure you I did not look "agg". I wasn't picked last... in fact I was picked second.

SlartyBartFast
02-10-2006, 05:59 PM
I would call it a cop out :), at least much of the time. "I'm not picked early because I shoot a mag". Funny, I stopped by the field on the way to dinner last year, dressed in good jeans, a good shirt, and dress shoes. I decided to play a game. I picked up a rental marker and stuffed a pod in my back pocket. I can assure you I did not look "agg". I wasn't picked last... in fact I was picked second.

Depends if you're going to a field where you're known and have a reputation or somewhere new.

I'm sure that if you appeared as you described at some random field where nobody knew you, you'd be bottom of the choice list.

I think it's the other way round. Buying all the in stuff to be picked first is a cop out for those that don't want to build a reputation.

But why is when you'll be picked of any concern? Why would anyone want to be part of any team where teh captain's brain is addled enough that they can't make logical choices based on skill to build a winning team?

Nick1717
02-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Sorry for being so behind, I hadn't checked this thread for a while. Ok, right now I am more into rec-ball but the more I get into it the more I like it. I think that me and some friends are going to go into some local tournaments. They all mostly have ions. I would probably be front-man.

Thanks

Lohman446
02-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Depends if you're going to a field where you're known and have a reputation or somewhere new.

I'm sure that if you appeared as you described at some random field where nobody knew you, you'd be bottom of the choice list.

I think it's the other way round. Buying all the in stuff to be picked first is a cop out for those that don't want to build a reputation.

But why is when you'll be picked of any concern? Why would anyone want to be part of any team where teh captain's brain is addled enough that they can't make logical choices based on skill to build a winning team?

I don't disagree with you for a moment. It just seems to me more and more mag owners (and AO), at least some, want to have a victim syndrome. At the same time they want to be "the guy with the mag who..."

If you play several games and are still picked last, I hate to tell you this but it is not your equipment. :D The first game, maybe... one has to go with first impressions, it may be all one has. Honestly though, I often end up captaining for open play at the field I normally play at. I can't say that I have honestly even bothered to notice what anyone is shooting when picking teams.

Edit: Ok, I have taken into consideration equipment. I was at a tournament where ten minutes before they announced they were going to allow ramping. It was the year SP released it in the Shocker to everyone, and I walked to the counter and bought the only ramping marker on the wall to assure myself that a certain other team did nto get it. I played one game with that gun before one of my teammates claimed it as his...

REDRT
02-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Sorry for being so behind, I hadn't checked this thread for a while. Ok, right now I am more into rec-ball but the more I get into it the more I like it. I think that me and some friends are going to go into some local tournaments. They all mostly have ions. I would probably be front-man.

Thanks

The RT wouldn't be a bad choice as an entry level speedball marker. If you are always being a front player it should work out for you. Back player not so much. I play back and I have used the RT some, but I normally use the Emag. When the Emag was stock the major difference with it was I could maintain my shot strings better for laning. As a front guy laning isn't so much important. Snap shooting and getting close is the ticket.