PDA

View Full Version : Article in CNC Machining

Pacifist_Farmer
02-10-2006, 01:55 PM
http://www.haascnc.com/cncmag/explore_issues.asp?year=2006&volumeNo=10#2006

Walking through the floor today and what do I see on a bench? CNC Machining does an article with us in mind!

The Action Figure
02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Its about Dave Youngblood (of Dye fame), you can read the whole thing on the link.

Good Find!

bleachit
02-10-2006, 03:31 PM
that was a pretty nice article... very interesting.

DiRTyBuNNy
02-10-2006, 04:26 PM
that was a cool article..I've been to both Dye's old facility and their new one and I can attest to the fact that no matter what size building they get put into they're going to out grow it given enough time..

-dB

WenULiVeUdiE
02-10-2006, 04:47 PM
The tolerances for their bolts are 2-3 tenths. That seems alittle....high.

Great article though. Nice to find out some behind the scene things about Dye.

SlartyBartFast
02-10-2006, 05:15 PM
The tolerances for their bolts are 2-3 tenths. That seems alittle....high.

There's absolutely no need for high tolerances on bolts. They're loose fitting and are sealed by O-rings.

Under those conditions, higher tolerances are just a waste of time and money.

WenULiVeUdiE
02-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I guess I just expected something alittle lower. I know o-rings swell, but I did not know they could swell that much. But now that I know they can, it does make sense.

Meh...

Fred
02-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Wow, that's a good read!

Gecko
02-10-2006, 10:02 PM
you realise that a 10th is .0001 right?

Dharma punk
02-10-2006, 10:50 PM
you realise that a 10th is .0001 right?

No, one tenth is 0.1000

One ten-thousandth is 0.0001

Gecko
02-10-2006, 11:05 PM
No, one tenth is 0.1000

not to be an jerk but CNC machining is a trade magazine. In the machineing trade ten thousandth is abrevied as a tenth. Dye bolts are not held to +-.1

slade
02-11-2006, 12:11 AM
its a bit late, ill read the entire article later. i glanced through it and everything looked interesting, im going to have to take some time to read everything and adequately stalk the site :p

ive taken two tours of a HAAS machining center at WPI, and its rather impressive. since theyre an engineering school and HAAS machinging center, aparently every 2 years they get completely brand new CNC machines, they just have to cover shipping. ...which must be a lot, but still.

No, one tenth is 0.1000

id assume someone from DC who works with CNC machines would know :p and with the equipment at their disposal, it would be ridiculous for dye to hold their parts to a tolerance of +- .3" theyd have to essentially try to have poor tolerances.

Gecko
02-11-2006, 12:20 AM
I've been in WPI's machine shop
very nice
sooooo jealous

CoolHand
02-11-2006, 01:29 AM
No, one tenth is 0.1000

Gotta love the one guy who points out the obvious.

As with so many things, machinists speak a totally different language, one which is all their own. If you don't speak it, things get confusing. lol It's OK though, we won't hold it against you.

Three tenths in aluminum seems like a rather high tolerance to me, that is one third of a thousandth of an inch. Hold the thing in your hand for ten minutes, and it's changed dimensions that much. To say nothing of anodizing.

However, there is something to be said for consistency. And really, if you can hold tolerances like that without slowing down the process, there isn't any reason not to.

Incidentally, see that tombstone on the HMC pallet waiting to be unloaded? That is exactly how we do our frames, though we use a VMC (which makes the swarf a little bit of a ***** sometimes, but decent coolant pressure keeps the area of the tool clear).

Anyway, it's nice to see that the best in the business is using similar techniques for their work holding, makes it seem like I know what I'm doing. :rofl:

Dharma punk
02-11-2006, 02:49 AM
I stand corrected. :( Thanks for taking it easy on me. :D

slade
02-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I've been in WPI's machine shop
very nice
sooooo jealous
yeah, its one of the largest reasons im considering going there :p well, and just about everyone i know went there/is going there, heh. although im also going to look into a lot of other schools.

my school has a tabletop denford mini lathe and mini mill. half of the machines WPI has are larger than my room.

JKR
02-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Let me be the first to say that the woman holding the Dye paintslinger on the cover isn't hard to look at! :)

Pacifist_Farmer
02-12-2006, 05:28 PM
That's what the guys in the shop said...

Not too rag on anyone, but having graduated from WPI, and having been impressed initially by the Haas machines, (I was in the first set of classes to actually use them)I have since learned they are nothing special in industry. In fact I was rather disapointed by the amount of hands-on time they gave us with them. Not so much teaching as just showing. I hope they have improved that a little.