PDA

View Full Version : building micromag from scratch

grim0822
02-10-2006, 01:57 PM
after looking around for a full ptp micromag, i think i might be better off just building one from parts. some questions about that...

does the micromag take any / all mag valves? for cost reasons i'd probably just want to put a classic valve in there. will that be ok?

what other internal parts should i be looking for to make it function, besides the body, frame and valve?

i've owned a mag (classic) before, but is there anything different about the micro (aside from size) that i might need to know about beforehand?

thanks for any input!

Badger1099
02-10-2006, 03:39 PM
I am almost positive that the only valve that will not work is an RT.

When I got mine this last year the sear pin was not provided by the seller. The sear pin is threaded and specific to the MicroMag. I got the replacement from Tunaman.

Mine came with a vertical ASA, which is also specific to the MicroMag, but can be hard to come by. You can always buy them from PTP, but they are a bit spendy. I recommend you try to get one when you get your body.

After that you should consider weather you want Power Left, Power Right, or Center feeds. As an example I have the 2000 MicroMag which only comes in Center Feed.

gx3man
02-10-2006, 07:22 PM
I also recently acquired a micromag and found out an interesting bit of info from PTP. Depending on which valve you put in it, the on/off pin that AGD recommends for that valve may or may not be the correct length for that particular micro. For example, I have a ReTro Valve in mine which is supposed to take a .750 pin, but I get no reactivity and it's insanely easy to shortstroke with a pin that length. I had to file mine down to .740 to get it nicely reactive but with no bouncing (like it should be). PTP said anywhere from .750 to .700 is common for micros, you just have to start filing until the trigger is how you like it.

automikey
02-10-2006, 07:57 PM
I have an olive green unibody micromag for sale and I was thinking of selling my micromag RT vertical feed. Send me your email and I'll send you some photos.

I might also have some parts to help build a micromag.

grim0822
02-12-2006, 10:37 PM
thanks for the info, gx and badger!

pm'ed you 'mikey.