PDA

View Full Version : Well Im in!!

hardr0ck68
02-11-2006, 04:36 PM
If you all remember i posted a thread a while back asking for advice about military career paths. And yeah; thanks in part to advice i got here im all set and will be shipping March 8th. 23 weeks of training, first basic, then OCS, then OCB, and then on top of those 23 weeks i would very much like to go to Airborn and Ranger schools (i have been told most infantry officers take these, its a kind of unspoken requirement). So yeah im gonna be busy for the next year!

Automaggot68
02-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I wish the best of luck to you!
Stay safe!

bentothejam1n
02-11-2006, 06:30 PM
good lcuk and god bless
i kind of want to enlist in the navy still thinking about it tho
good luck in the army

fire1811
02-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Good luck and thank you

SniperSmurf
02-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Keep us posted on how it's going (when you get a chance), and welcome to the DoD club!

i kind of want to enlist in the navy still thinking about it tho
Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you've got any questions about the Navy.

bentothejam1n
02-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you've got any questions about the Navy.
K thanks a lot

hardr0ck68
02-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Right now im excited and terrified at the same time. Im jumping into a whole new world, and i have no idea what to expect.

The real bummer is besides boot graduation, im not sure if i will get to see my woman at all. Im really worried that this decision is going to ruin our relationship, i really do love that chick, we have been togeather for 3 years now.

Sigh, well the upside is if we make it through OCS as a couple im gonna go and put a ring on her!! But 6months is a long time. I guess deployments will be even worse huh?

THanks for all the good wishes guys!!

Eagle
02-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Want an idea of boot? Watch Full Metal Jacket. It's an exageration of today, but it's the closest you'll find. I know the moment I stepped off the base at Great Mistakes, er, I mean, Lakes, I started looking around for Lee Ermey. :D

REDRT
02-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Well at least in the Marine Corps nothing is sugar coated. They recommend to stay single as long as possible or at least E4/O-2. At that time your base pay is better and your more settled. Pretty rough going the first year or two with training and all. Then there is deployments. You can be moving around quit abit and spend along time away. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but relationships do get a real strain and a high % often don't last. But I've seen many that did so maybe. I wish you my best, God speed and good luck!

kosmo
02-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Whatever happens, just remember this:
Its all your fault. Everything :ninja:

Really though, best of luck to you.

Edit: oh yeah I almost forgot, screw the marines :cool:

Tunaman
02-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Whatever happens, just remember this:
Its all your fault. Everything :ninja:

Really though, best of luck to you.

Edit: oh yeah I almost forgot, screw the marines :cool:"Screw the Marines"? That is the most un-patrotic statement I have ever heard! :cuss: Go wrap a towel around your head, and a nice pack around your waist and take the next plane overseas...so the Marines have more to shoot at! :cuss: :cuss:

Kai
02-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Does nobody pay attention enough to know that Kosmo is in the armed forces? Hello?

Beemer
02-12-2006, 12:41 AM
you guys miss read that one. You missed the smilie. :eek:

GodSpeed and Thank You Hardrock and Kosmo

Go U.S.A. Armed Forces. :hail: Thank You

http://home.comcast.net/~beemerone/SigPic.jpg

kosmo
02-12-2006, 01:00 AM
http://i1.tinypic.com/nn2j5c.jpg

Boo ya?

Beemer
02-12-2006, 01:27 AM
LOL........ RedRT did the :ninja: move on his last post. :rofl: :spit_take

Its ok Red nobody else knows :cheers:

kosmo
02-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Its ok, he PM'ed me "the rest of the story" as he put it. Im still trying to decode his grammar to figure out what the heck it means though.

neppo1345
02-12-2006, 01:58 AM
God Bless, Keep your head down man...

Recon by Fire
02-12-2006, 03:29 AM
Holy cow, when did they start letting 16 year olds in!? LOL :rofl:

REDRT
02-12-2006, 03:39 AM
LOL........ RedRT did the :ninja: move on his last post. :rofl: :spit_take

Its ok Red nobody else knows :cheers:

Well I thought if I removed the post it would sort of police the thread and reduce need for moderation.

Without going into details, "Kosmo and I went round and round till we discovered we each got hot headed and jumped the gun sort of speak". Turns out we have a few things in common. There were valid issues mistaken by myself and I didn't make them very clear in the beginning only to worsen the situation. I think however that we reached a level of understanding of them issues why the misunderstanding took place. So with that being said, "I'm sorry for loosing my head, going off with out all the facts and being lousy at times with my writing". I just wanted to make that public so there might not be any mistake about the whole situation. Because I hate to say, "I'm wrong and I'm sorry in a single day". I'm hitting the hay. Peace.

hardr0ck68
02-12-2006, 12:17 PM
hurm it seems i missed something....

As for letting 16 year olds in; there was a 16 year old at the MEPS station with me yesterday! He is delaying entry until he graduates, but he signed a contract and all yesterday.

Any last minute advice?

BTW Tuna, i agree with you, its very wrong to pick on the Marines. They are probably my favorite branch of the Navy! :D

Eagle
02-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Only good Marine is a Submarine :D

REDRT
02-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Being Ft Bragg, New River, and Lejeune were so close It was common to get into a brawl with Navy,Army and Marine personal on or off base. Although little jabs back in the day with a little JD would have set me off, but it doesn't anymore. Part of growing up. What erked me before was something else.

Only good Marine is a Submarine

Submarine ah? Well you know what they say, "130 sailors go down 65 couples come up". :rofl:

SniperSmurf
02-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Submarine ah? Well you know what they say, "130 sailors go down 65 couples come up". :rofl:
"Cumming" from someone who's been on a submarine, all I can say is "Har de Har har." :rolleyes: ;)

Eagle
02-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Actually it's more like 140 guys these days :D

SniperSmurf
02-12-2006, 06:04 PM
How many couples come up depends on whether you're talking about a Boomer or a Fast Boat... ;)

Glickman
02-12-2006, 06:06 PM

140 guys...

65 couples...

140/65=2.15...

WHAT IS HAPPENING DOWN THERE?

:rolleyes:

SniperSmurf
02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
WHAT IS HAPPENING DOWN THERE?
That's classified information... :ninja:

mobsterboy
02-12-2006, 07:34 PM
That's classified information... :ninja:

or just cannibalism at its best. You dont really think they have enough food for their voyages packed away, do you? :ninja:

IronCore
02-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Any last minute advice?

..dont ever give up unless you physically cant, like a compound fracture. It will be over before you know it.

Have fun and good luck

Eagle
02-12-2006, 10:55 PM
or just cannibalism at its best. You dont really think they have enough food for their voyages packed away, do you? :ninja:

Enough food? On our way to the Gulf for OIF we had about 4 months worth of food on board. Almost half the decks of the ship were covered with #10 cans of food. You had to walk most everywhere stooped over to keep from smacking your head. We ate our way to the deck.

REDRT
02-13-2006, 01:43 AM

Really? standard crew compliment of a Los Angeles class if I remember.... Was 13 officers and around 116 enlisted. Times change.

hardr0ck68
02-13-2006, 02:17 AM
I thought long and hard about becomming a sailor, I know a guy who got to play tag with the Russians in a sub durring the late 70's early 80's. He doesnt say much execpt it was gobs of fun, and a wonderious experiance in "how stuff works."

He also told me that the navy likes to put 50% more bolts/screws into stuff than it takes to mount/seal the part. He said its because when you have been working on a unit 6 or 7 times you end up losing half of the bolts/screws anyways :rofl: I dont know the truth of that, but it always amused me.