PDA

View Full Version : HPA tanks-The brainless wonder strikes again!

Wheelman
12-14-2001, 10:46 AM
Alright, I am playing outlaw in my bud back yard, running through the woods with a hail of paintballs showering past me, I glance over my shoulder to see them and fail to notice the tree in front of me.....well take a guess what happened then and fill in your own choice word for the aftermath. My question is how big of a scratch, or ding is too big on a fiber wrapped tank to take it out of service for good? My field is really anal on stuff like that and I wanted to know if something like that can be fixed or did I just kill a tank I just got. It only got a small ding by the top when I hit the ground but I'd like to know your thoughts.

beam
12-14-2001, 11:19 AM
I don't know the answer to the question, but my advice would be to find out if the tank is ok and be honest about it. What I mean is: a 3000psi n2 tank is not something that you want to fudge the safety standards with.

One question would be: Are there fiber strands that got cut or frayed?

Somewhere on these forums is a link to examples of what can happen when n2 tanks go boom.

Otherwise, sorry to hear...I bet you were just sick. Hope it works out for you.

Wheelman
12-14-2001, 01:00 PM
It doesn't appear to have hit the fiber wrapping but it did look pretty nasty @ first look

Tom, you invented them, any ideas?

Puddleglum
12-14-2001, 01:16 PM
In you sig it says 47 3000. I'm taking it that isn't the same tank? Can you post a pic? Try scanning it and then blowing the scratch up. (not literally) Otherwise, ask your field where you get filled about it. Ask the manufacturer. How much longer til it needs to be hydroed? You could take it to a place that rents cylanders and ask them about it? But I'd really like to see a pic.:rolleyes:

rudy
12-14-2001, 01:37 PM
my brother dropped a 68 3000 on sement and it scratched it up good. so he went to the dive shop to fill his scuba rig and asked them to take a look and they said looks fine so long as its not down to the fiber wrapping. you should probbaly just have it tested to be sure though.

Wheelman
12-14-2001, 01:49 PM
It was rehydoed 6/01, I don't think it hit the wrapping, the resin outer coating is pretty thick near the top but I will check with the local dive shop I fill it at. I bought it used so it's not quite as heart breaking as it being a new one.....I just don't wanna go back to my 47 unless I have to

PyRo
12-14-2001, 02:52 PM
Tom didn't invent them, they were just the first to use them on paintball guns.

Cha0tic
12-14-2001, 09:18 PM
you should have the tank re hydro tested. an airsmith should take a look at it and decide if it is alright. its better safe than being blown up...