PDA

View Full Version : Interesting dilemna

Lohman446
02-15-2006, 08:43 AM
I recently aquired a bunch of mag stuff at an extremely good price from a friend. In the deal I ended up with two e-mags, a classic mag, and probably enough stuff to build another. I upgraded a teammates RT PRO into an e-mag with one set of lowers, built myself a mechanical mag with a vertical feed body I had bought and made anything moneywise I spent on the rest in doing so. I did not expect to get his personal mag in the buying of the stores inventory, but he threw it in.

So, now I have e-mag lowers, a spare X-valve, a spare classic mag, several powerfeed bodies, several twistlock barrels, and several misc things laying around.

Well, I've wanted a pump, and one impulse is to sell/trade and get a nice pump, but then theres morals.

I was basically given this E-mag. Its previous owner will shoot whatever is around the shop this year. His choice no doubt, but it nags at me. This e-mag is in rough shape (no battery, old software, one jewel missing, safety sticks, etc). I have a feeling that perhaps I should rebuild it into something special (perhaps vertical twist lock, perhaps ULE body, etc.), slide the X-valve into it, slide a battery into it, make it into something special, something memorable, and give it back to him with the promise that he doesn't sell it again (to anyone but me). I got this thing for free from a friend, good deals are one thing, but this was the mag he was shooting when I came into the sport four or five years ago. This was an early mag that he earned at a competition. Maybe its just me but this is the marker I associate with him (in a day when good players change markers on a yearly basis). He switched to an Angel at the beginning of two years ago, shot it for awhile and then went back to his mag. He switched to an NME at the beginning of last year, and then went back to his mag. Do I use the parts I have and make him the "ultimate mechanical mag" (at least my definition of it, identical to mine) and give it to him? Maybe its me, but part of this rambling is, this is his mag, and I don't feel good about it not being his mag.

So, as I wrestle with my own moral dilemna... the question of thoughts and ideas falls to AO...

wimag
02-15-2006, 09:19 AM
he threw it in the deal. He didnt feel bad, why should you ?

bleachit
02-15-2006, 09:48 AM
if you have the desire to fix it up for him, I say go for it... that is if you have the ability to. If he is a friend and you want to do something nice for him, why shouldnt you?

MicroMiniMe
02-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Well either get newer software or better (morlock/TAG) and keep it twist lock, or go the ULE mech route and get milled rail and aftermarket frame.
I guess I'm say do something nicer with it, but I wouldn't go balls out and do Deadlywind body with lightened rail and Devilmag innards or pneu mod it as a mech. Then you might end up 'guilting' him into using it. I think a reliable fallback marker is just fine.

Lohman446
02-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Well either get newer software or better (morlock/TAG) and keep it twist lock, or go the ULE mech route and get milled rail and aftermarket frame.
I guess I'm say do something nicer with it, but I wouldn't go balls out and do Deadlywind body with lightened rail and Devilmag innards or pneu mod it as a mech. Then you might end up 'guilting' him into using it. I think a reliable fallback marker is just fine.

You know.. I have an empty battery pack... I could probably fit most of the pneumag stuff in there... Cost is somewhat of an obstacle. I'm not opposed to spending a couple hundred on it, but I dont want to find myself several hundred into it in the end either.

MicroMiniMe
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
You know.. I have an empty battery pack... I could probably fit most of the pneumag stuff in there... Cost is somewhat of an obstacle. I'm not opposed to spending a couple hundred on it, but I dont want to find myself several hundred into it in the end either.
People tap the rail to mount a LPR, anyone look at tapping the bottom of the rail and enclosing the LPR inside the battery pack? I know the pack slides on, maybe access it from the bottom panel of the pack? Any way to keep the selector switch for two sears both non electrical?
:P
Or were you thinking on using non emag frame and direct mounting the battery pack?

Lohman446
02-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I have no clue what Im doing at this point, kinda rolling the options around and thinking

LS1 WS6
02-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I understand how you feel. How does he feel about it? I am wondering how much he wants it seeing as he threw it in the deal. If I had an attachment to a marker I would not throw it in an already good deal. Plus, it is in "rough" shape now, so he must not have taken very good care of it.

I am sure he would like a new Mag but I wonder if the cost would be more that the reward. I know you would not do it to make yourself feel better. I guess I would just have some question if he would like or use it that much. If you feel he really would like it, go for it.

black_bishop
02-15-2006, 01:04 PM
maybe since you have really nothing in it, you could always find a young player you deem worthy and give it as a gift to help him along in this sport. we all know how expensive this venture we call paintball really is. i say find a kid who will truly appreciate it and give it to him to use with the promise that he give it back rather than sell it. i'm sure we all know people who are very promising but just dont have the money to move any higher in the sport. good things happen to good people and i'm sure that whatever you do will be the right thing to do.

A-Tach-One
02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
If I was in your position and it was a friend, I would keep it around since there seems to bit a little history with it. Maybe start by getting it in working condition, and a few upgrades, (your extra XValve, used ULE body) may just spark thoughts of once again shooting a Mag. ;) Or at least show off the progress your making on it to gauge his interest. And if not, you have either a nice back up marker to shoot, or a great gun to sell to get that pump you have always wanted. :D Take your time and go with feels right. :cheers:

kingpen509
02-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Would you be interested in getting rid of one of those extra x-valve's?

onedude36
02-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Put a little into it, new battery, tuneup, get it running. Then do black bishop's idea, let a younger player that doesnt have the cash right now borrow it for awhile untill your buddy comes arround. Then he can have his old gun back and all is good in the world.

Lee
02-15-2006, 07:39 PM
do something nice for your friend.