PDA

View Full Version : Emag battery upping the amps

shades
02-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Question: Do AAAs make up the cells of the Emag battery pack? If so can I use 750, 800 or 850mA NimH cells to make a more potent battery pack? and if i do will my charger handle it or will it be fine and just take longer to charge?
Problem: i recently took my emag down to fire test it but when it did manual mode worked fine, but e-mode would not trip the sear. Sooo... I removed the valve and held the sear down with my finger and felt that the selonoid was tripping with some gusto. so i replaced the valve and replaced my battery with the battery from my son's Emag and pow pow pow on e mode. so i have a need for a new pack but don't want spend $80 for a new one.
14- AAA 800mA NiMH battteries ,$28 @ Walmart
pack assemebly @ local hobby shop $15
grand total $43!
Err... about half price. and 150 more milliamps and more shots!

You can get 850mA NiMH but they were $32 for 16and they were a bit longer.

Troen
02-16-2006, 06:20 AM
you take into consideration of frying the solenoid?

shades
02-16-2006, 09:59 AM
you take into consideration of frying the solenoid?

It should be no problem because would it is an increase in the amp/hr (Storage) of the battery not the voltage.

For Example: A watch battery is usually 1.5 volt, if I connect a AAAA, AAA, AA, C, D (all which are 1.5V) or any other 1.5 volt battery to a watch it will not fry the watch. But, since the watch requires so little current to work the battery would die from shelf life before the watch could ever drain it. plus who wants to wear a large heavy battery cell on their arm all day.

Tao
02-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Question: Do AAAs make up the cells of the Emag battery pack? If so can I use 750, 800 or 850mA NimH cells to make a more potent battery pack? and if i do will my charger handle it or will it be fine and just take longer to charge?
Problem: i recently took my emag down to fire test it but when it did manual mode worked fine, but e-mode would not trip the sear. Sooo... I removed the valve and held the sear down with my finger and felt that the selonoid was tripping with some gusto. so i replaced the valve and replaced my battery with the battery from my son's Emag and pow pow pow on e mode. so i have a need for a new pack but don't want spend $80 for a new one.
14- AAA 800mA NiMH battteries ,$28 @ Walmart
pack assemebly @ local hobby shop $15
grand total $43!
Err... about half price. and 150 more milliamps and more shots!

You can get 850mA NiMH but they were $32 for 16and they were a bit longer.

I spent almost 80 bucks for 8 AAA NiMH and a changer (the energizer ones) for a 12V setup for my warp.

Is Walmart selling no name bateries?

For the price I can get em I would go with the AGD bat anyway.

shades
02-16-2006, 02:11 PM
The batteries I got are on sale. Rayovac IC3-15minute 800mAh (http://www.rayovac.com/recharge/batt_15min.htm) 4 pack for $7. I bought 4 PACKS for $29 with tax. That 150 mAh more storage than a stock pack from AGD. I just want to Know IF these are the right size, and if they will work with my charger for the Emag.

athomas
02-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Put 14 AAA NiMh in series and they will work just fine.

shades
02-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Put 14 AAA NiMh in series and they will work just fine.

Thanks for the reply, Would you know if AAA cell are the correct size or if the ones in the original pack are an odd size(like AAA 7/8) and if my charger can charge the greater amp/hr safely with out damage?

shades
02-28-2006, 07:37 PM
This is a follow up. I ended up taking my AAA cells I bought at Walmart to a hobby shop. there they built the pack for $10. :headbang: My Grand total was $38 :spit_take for a new 750amp/hr 16.8v pack plus two extra cells on in which I used in my old pack to fix it. :dance:

11 Bravo
02-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Well hows it operate. Give us details. Does it last longer? Is it about the same weight?

shades
03-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Well hows it operate. Give us details. Does it last longer? Is it about the same weight?

It is about the same weight. I dont have a scale. But no noticable difference. The big change is the balls per charge you will get for the same size battery pack. AGD 650mAh(miliamp/hour)-Mine 750mAh!
I could made one that was 800mAh but the 750mAh were on sale 4 for $7 at WalMart.

You could use bigger cells like AA, N, C, and D but you would have to wrap the pack around the tank or some how.(you still would need 14 cells) Plus it would be MUCH HeavIer. And take longer to charge. With C or D cells you might only have to charge them once a season while running your marker, warp and revy/halo.(and a scooter, just kidding :D )
Found some NiMH D cells that have 10,000 mAh storage! That is well over ten times the storage but probably at ten times the weight and cost.
AA 2500mAh are $10 for 4 this route make more sense. That is $40 for 16 cells (use 14 with two extra) and small size and almost quadruple the storage. and not too much more weight.

DocRocker
10-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey there shades,

I was just wondering. How has your home built battery pack been holding up? Have you had any problems? Are you using the original EMag charger unit or something else?

Thanks for any info. My battery died and I wanna see if I can make one myself.

Thanks

sniper1rfa
10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Docrocker - i can't speak for him but what he did should work perfectly.

One caveat, i would go with nicer brand name cells for your battery. You get what you pay for with batteries, usually.

DocRocker
10-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Docrocker - i can't speak for him but what he did should work perfectly.

One caveat, i would go with nicer brand name cells for your battery. You get what you pay for with batteries, usually.

Hey Snniper1rfa,

Thanks for the advice. So what are good brand batteries? What is a good price for them?
Can I still use the stock charger?

Thanks

mpsd
10-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey,

How did you pakc the batteries? I mean, 14 AAAs together are a larger volume than the stock battery housing, right? How did you connected it to your marker? Where did you placed it? Could you send me some pics? My e-mail is mpsd18@gmail.com.

Thanks!

sniper1rfa
10-13-2006, 09:07 AM
nope, the stock battery IS 14 AAA's. Thats why its so huge. :)

Good brands for rechargeable are sanyo and gold peak. Make sure that is gold peak OEM cells, not the crappy consumables of the same name. They come in yellow shrinkwrap with goldpeak written on them.

i'd stick with duracell/energizer/sanyo for consumable rechargeables (the ones with a nub on the positive side, rather than no nub.)

http://www.batterieswholesale.com/nimh.htm

They look like they sell up to 900 mAh consumer type cells, and up to 800 mAh OEM cells. I know nothing of the seller, my old source of batteries disappeared and i havent needed any since. The little picture looks like gold peak.

Don't buy anything from powerstream. They are ********.

athomas
10-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I found some 1000mA AAA batteries the other day. I can't remember the brand though. The price wasn't bad either. Batteries keep getting better and better.

DocRocker
10-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Is it better to get the flat top or the ones with the nub (like normal alkaline)?
And why do the places quote 1.2 volts for the AAA. I thought they were supposed to be 1.5volts.

Thanks

athomas
10-13-2006, 03:18 PM
The flat top batteries are easier to solder leads onto and they take up less space once the leads are installed which is a major consideration when installing in a battery pack.

All nickle based batteries are 1.2v per cell. That is why all battery packs are a multiple of that value. ie; 7.2v volt packs = 6 batteries in series, 9.6 v = 8 in series, 14.4v = 12 in series, 16.8v = 14 in series, etc.

DocRocker
10-14-2006, 08:57 PM
THanks for all the help!!

:hail:

KC
10-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Interesting... I just ordered some AAAs with the same idea in mind... Will post back up or start a new thread when the pack is complete.

DocRocker
10-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Cool,

Which ones did you get? DId you get them online? LEt me know how it goes. I'l still trying to decide where and which batteries I want to buy.

DocRocker
11-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Just an FYI

Well I found an online site that built the battery pack using 1000 amp/hr AAA for $47.50 Definitely ended up being a better deal than for me trying to build one.

Check them out: www.onlybatterypacks.com

promethion
12-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey DocRocker.. Did that online site ever get back to you on that battery pack.. and if so what do i have to do to get the same one ordered.

DocRocker
12-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Hey Promethion,

They got my battery pack to me quickly and works great. They placed 2 layers of heat shrink on the pack so I had to remove one to make it fit inside the battery pack. I would do this again anytime.

Just email them and let them know what you want. Ask which rechargable batteries they have to offer. They'll make you send in your old pack to copy and to use the battery terminals and stuff. Not bad for $47

Hey DocRocker.. Did that online site ever get back to you on that battery pack.. and if so what do i have to do to get the same one ordered.

promethion
12-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Now where can i get the battery terminal connectors for this battery pack so i can get two made.. Any help in this area would be great.. :)

Thanks for the info DocRocker............

DocRocker
12-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Good Question... I have no idea. Good luck finding them. You may need to get creative and make your own.

Now where can i get the battery terminal connectors for this battery pack so i can get two made.. Any help in this area would be great.. :)

Thanks for the info DocRocker............

olinar
12-27-2006, 01:25 AM
i just had a new pack built and i picked it up today.test fitted it and it was perfect.it looks pretty cool with the green shrink wrap they used and they are 850's,that was the highest they had sop i went for em.grand total was more costly than i wouldve hoped.it ended up costing me my original battery and $60.but what ever the cost to get a better battery.only problem is that i have no clue whether or not my original battery had dead cells.im pretty sure it did because it held a full charge for all of maybe an houw and a half .i shot maybe 1000 times.im gonna try my hand at making my own pack and seee how cheap it can be.it seems to be pretty simple.ill let you guys know soon.

olinar
12-27-2006, 01:49 AM
i was lookin around for some more batteires and does the type of battery matter?
i see alot of batteries that are supposed to be used with high use items such as cameras and mp3 players.can these still be used in our applications?

olinar
12-30-2006, 01:37 AM
since everyone is so interested,i ended up doin the same as some one did above but my grand total was $28.37,i bought some batteries off ebay and they are pretty good(fujicell)they are 1000 mah and have ENGLISH ON THEM,so i figure they gotta be reliable plus the store i got em at is in the next city.bought some wires and shrinkwrap on ebay as well and they work perfect,i actually have way too much wire.all i need now is another terminal so i can use both packs.any one get any luck in finding one?

Chrishew09
12-30-2006, 08:30 AM
A good place to buy NiMH cells is http://www.nimhbattery.com/, the top three battery manufactures are Sanyo, Panasonic, and Saft in that order. If you want a quality cell go with one of those three, thats not to say the china companies will not work they are just very cheaply made. And dont always buy the highest capacity cells from a no name company, just b/c they advertise high capacity doesn't mean it is, but a cell from "the big three" will have the capacity they are rated to.

As far as charging goes a genral rule of thumb for consumer cells in "1C" what that means is 1 time the capacity. For example the max charge current for a 1000mAhr cell should not excide 1000mA or 1A. The lower the charge current the longer it takes to charger, if I charge a 1000mAhr cell with 250mA it will take about 4 hours to charge. Just devide the charge current by the capacity.

Some of you have mentioned that you have made the pack your self, how are you joining the cells? It is very damaging to the cells if you solder to the terminals the heat from the soldering iron damages the electolytes in the cells, the correct method is with a spot welder.

I am an electronics engineer for a prower products company in NJ and I have be doing R&D on battery products for the past few year, I can say I know a thing or two about the subject.

:)