PDA

View Full Version : Societal Garbage Part 2

gmag
12-14-2001, 06:09 PM
As I was saying before, ignorance is the cause of a lot of problems in our society. This includes paintball. Whether its the misrepresentation of paintball through the media, or just plain unacceptance by the majority of our society, it is often wrongfully downed. People make judgments based on emotions rather than facts, and that can taint our sport. And it has tainted our sport.

I know it was very hard for me just to convince my parents to let me play paintball three years ago. I'm sure its hard for a lot of other people too. Why is this? Its because our parents are making false judgements. That is ignorance. Without realizing thatpaintball was one of the safest sports going, my parents automatically told me it was unsafe. This needs to stop, or else our sport will never grow. We need to teach society that it is in fact safe, and that we are not training for war. Like I said before, if we ever want this sport to develop, we need to stop the false advertising and start teaching the truth.

Miscue
12-14-2001, 07:41 PM
Yeah, there are many misconceptions. When I see a paintball gun... I see an automag, a cocker, an angel. When others see it, they see something that resembles a firearm... and right there you have a slew of preexisting emotions that can conveniently be attached to the paintball gun... usually in a bad way.

So, what can you do about it? Well, you can inform. But many people don't want to learn, don't care, don't want to have their minds changed. Sometimes you can't get things through people's heads without a big mallet... that's just the way it is.

Do what little you can to improve paintball's reputation, and hope that one day people will figure it out. Spread the word.

Army
12-14-2001, 10:54 PM
gmag, See? You have now centered your post around paintball and the public perception of it. This belongs in Main, not rants about fat kids!

Army:cool:

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-14-2001, 11:07 PM
hey, leave us fat kids alone, hahahahhha. anyways. i think we are growing. compared to like 10 years ago. we've made big jumps in a very small amount of time. with the technological leaps we've made in the past few years, the future can only get better. soon paintball will be law. and as for the guns, they'll be able to do our taxes, collect our email, browse the internet, and for the younger ones, do our homework. just wait, you'll see.

gmag
12-15-2001, 12:55 AM
Unfortunately Army, I had to spell it out for you. And please don't insult me again with this "ranting" business.

Army
12-15-2001, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I'm just a dumb, ignorant hick, who couldn't figger out that "societal garbage" was fully centered in and around paintball...

Gimme a break dude. You have insulted a number of members here by insisting that only you know what you are talking about (ranting), and if we couldn't "read between the lines" than we shouldn't bother responding, nor should the mods move it into a proper forum (whining).

If you feel that I somehow treated you, or your thread unfairly, then by all means contact an Administrator and complain. But, remember, an Admin has already agreed that you posted in the wrong forum.

I'll state it again; if you want to talk about new AGD pieces and parts, games and news, how good you played today, or even announce your birthday, fine. Main Forum is just for that. But if you want to talk in-depth about human social response to everyday situations, then it will behoove you to post in Friendly Corner.

Army:cool:

Ni cD
12-15-2001, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Army
...or even announce your birthday...

Doh! Those threads belong in FC...jeez Army, I figured you would know that. :rolleyes: ;)

:eek:NI:eek:

gmag
12-15-2001, 01:30 AM
I did not call you a dumb, ignorant hick. I also never said that I was the only one who understood what I was saying. And once again you have insulted me with this "ranting and whining" crap. I will not stoop to your level and insult your words, but I will defend myself. I do believe you made a mistake by moving it to another forum, but I'm not going to report anything. Because nothing will happen, and like I said before: its a battle I can't win. Oh, and by the way, don't try and change the focus of insults here...I'm the one being insulted.

DrEvil
12-15-2001, 01:34 AM
quit whining.

gmag
12-15-2001, 01:42 AM
DrEvil, your input is not appreciated nor welcome....especially when you don't know what I'm talking about.

FooTemps
12-15-2001, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by gmag
DrEvil, your input is not appreciated nor welcome....especially when you don't know what I'm talking about.

WHAT A HYPOCRITE!!! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!?!?!?

Cha0tic
12-15-2001, 09:17 AM
ok, before this turns into a war, can a mod or gmag delete this. then we can kiss, make up, and feel alright....

"lets get together and feel alright" -bob marley

my hero

gmag
12-15-2001, 12:18 PM
Why should I kiss and make up with people who insult me? That was an outright attack on my intelligence....

Miscue
12-15-2001, 12:29 PM
This rant is done.

cphilip
12-15-2001, 12:35 PM
gmag, Please lets end this problem now. You are detracting from your own thread. I do not think any one intended to insult you. You called us Moderators stuborn and unable to comprehend. So lets not get into who said what or who is realy stuborn here to. We just disagree on interpretation of the rules. To quote your own Covey terms...lets just agree to disagree and get on with our lives. Fair enough? :)

Would the rest of you please lay of gmag so as not to irritate this situation. Please? Thanks

(ooops sorry Brian didn't know you were working on closing this oen at the time I was posting this)