PDA

View Full Version : Graphite... Do I realy want to know

Earthy
02-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Well I finally got all the pieces together for my ULE mag and I put it together today. No leaks, no bolt sticking, no problems... until I took my tank off. I noticed that the threads on my hpa looked a bit dull so I gave them a swipe with my thumb....and my thumb turned grey. :eek: It looks like the previous owner of the drop that I used, put some sort of graphite grease in the drop's asa. My question is will this graphite grease in the asa do any (or more probably how much) damage to my X-valve? :cry:

Thanks,
Earthy

master_alexander
02-19-2006, 05:57 PM
it might just be shavings from something thats in there. if i were you, i would clean it really well (the asa) and then not worry about it.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
02-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Never heard of a graphite grease Not slaming you just never heard of it considering graphite is naturally dry.

Ace12GA
02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
There are various dry graphite lubricants available on the market. I have no idea if they would damage your mag, or why someone would use them in a PB marker.

Its more likly that you are just seeing a lightweight oil contaminated with dirt.

FARMER00
02-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Its porbably the sealent fields for a really tight fit when filling tanks filled C02 or HPA

Earthy
02-19-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure why someone would put grease into the ASA, maybe they lubed it up to try to prevent the threads from stripping. However, it looks and feels like the same lithium-graphite grease that I used to use on my mountain bike gears. Diffinately not just shavings in lightweight oil. Hopefully Farmeroo is right and it's just selant from a field. I dry-fired a couple dozen times and there didn't seem to be any problems, so with any luck whatever the stuff was won't cause any problems. :ninja:

Tao
02-19-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure why someone would put grease into the ASA, maybe they lubed it up to try to prevent the threads from stripping. However, it looks and feels like the same lithium-graphite grease that I used to use on my mountain bike gears. Diffinately not just shavings in lightweight oil. Hopefully Farmeroo is right and it's just selant from a field. I dry-fired a couple dozen times and there didn't seem to be any problems, so with any luck whatever the stuff was won't cause any problems. :ninja:

Graphite is a lubricant basically because it is very brittle. The only damage it would do to your vavle is if it mixed with oil and gummed everything up. Wash/wipe it out as best you can and don't add much oil to the regulator in your x/valve for a few outings (shoot any graphite out).

rb211
02-19-2006, 10:34 PM
I get the same thing on mine after I use it. It's just dirty oil. I lightly lube my tank o-ring before I screw it in, and when I unscrew it, it looks exactly like what you are descrbing. As long as you are not finding this gunk inside your valve, you'll be fine.

nyarlathotep
02-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Same here, same consistency and color. Also randomly occurs on other threads - angel volume chamber thingy and barrel.

Alpha
02-20-2006, 12:14 AM
There are various dry graphite lubricants available on the market. I have no idea if they would damage your mag, or why someone would use them in a PB marker.

Its more likly that you are just seeing a lightweight oil contaminated with dirt.

Exactly. I've foudn that KC Troublefree oil doesn' give you this gritty grimey substance... But all tanks will get that with normal goldcup oil. Especially if the compressed air has any dirt molecules in it (and that depends on where its being compressed from)

bleachit
02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
how much stuff came off of the threads when you wiped it? it may be due to the oil used. The oil I use often leaves a gray film on the orings and threads of the tank.. so unless its a huge thick coating it could just be that.