PDA

View Full Version : ReBall Video

Faddy
02-20-2006, 06:16 PM
I mentioned in another thread earlier today that I'd post a vid of us playing with ReBall indoors. So, here it is.

http://media.putfile.com/SitkaReBallVideo1

Now, before you comment, allow me to give you the setup to this video. I live on an island in Southeastern Alaska in a community of just under 9000 people called Sitka. No roads in or out, and if you want to come here, you'll need to take a plane or boat. Up until this video, all paintball here was played outdoors in the woods. No speedball or anything like that.

About 7 months ago, some of my friends and I had the crazy idea of figuring out a way to set up a speedball field indoors. After some consideration, we decided to try to find a place to play, get some bunkers, and shoot each other with ReBall. We had to jump through some hurdles, such as what to do for bunkers, and where to play, but eventually we got everything figured out, and on January 29, 2006, Sitka had it's very first game of speedball.

Some things to keep in mind while watching:

1) I apologize for the shakey camera. I forgot my tripod, and it was a bit difficult to keep the thing steady much of the time. Also, the program I used to put the video together was new to me, so I know it's not that good. ;)
2) With the exception of a few of us, no one has ever played speedball. Practically everyone has done nothing but play in the woods. Also, three of the people in that video have never played paintball at all before this. So, in other words, most of us realize we suck, so we don't need to hear more about it. ;)
3) We only had 1000 ReBalls to go around, so between games we had to pick them up and reuse them. It took 5 or 6 people 3-4 minutes to pick up everything that got shot. We now have 3000 I think.
4) I was operating the camera the whole time, so no video of me in these videos.

Anyway, the first game in the video is our first ever speedball game. The video itself is about 20megs and about 5min 30seconds long. If you have any questions about it, PM me or just reply to this thread. Hope you enjoy the vid.

SummaryJudgement
02-20-2006, 06:26 PM
:wow: Nice job! That actually looks like a nice place to play, and since you're not making a mess and pick up after yourselves, I don't see why anybody would mind. Is that a local recreation center? I was surprised that someone would let you use it, but if you point out your not going to screw anything up, why not!

I love the part where that guy in the back corner dumps his hopper after getting hit. Not a bad idea guys. I take it you just move the bunkers around every now and then?

:shooting: :bounce:

behemoth
02-20-2006, 06:50 PM
That'd be so sweet.

I'd be into that only if the local gym didnt have bleachers for the balls to get lost in.

Faddy
02-20-2006, 06:59 PM
It's sorta like a rec center. It's owned by a college in town, but they open it up for people to use. We actually use it after it's closed. The first time we played, they charged us like $30 an hour. But they liked us there because we didn't mess anything up, and it was actually cleaner after we left than when we got there so they charge us $15 an hour now. As for picking them out of the bleachers, there's actually bleachers on the side you can't see, but we've stopped up the holes with old bed sheets and towels and stuff. Works pretty well. Very few make it through. And yeah, we move the bunkers around when we get bored with the set up. Takes about 30 minutes to get them all set up, and about 30 minutes to get everything taken down. Which really isn't all that bad.

nate2k191
02-20-2006, 08:52 PM
those bunkers are expensive right? probably pretty costly, but i guess you dont have many options in sitka... Looks fun anyway- thats cool that you guys set it up and had fun.

Faddy
02-20-2006, 09:22 PM
After shipping it was about $1500 for the 14 bunkers. Air-ups sells them pretty cheap. Don't have the website handy. Cheaper than any other we've found though.

wanna-b-ballin'
02-20-2006, 09:34 PM
did the owners of the rec center just hop on the idea? or did you guys have to go through all kinds of trouble?

sounds like a remote town; how much is paint up there? for playing in the woods of course.

AnthonyW
02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Way cool great job on the video. I gotta play with some reballs, and honest people.

Faddy
02-21-2006, 06:44 PM
The guy who was in charge of the rec center was actually pretty excited about letting us play there. We were really surprised because everywhere we went before that, no one wanted anything to do with us. It's quite remote here. Luckily the guy who pretty much got everything set up for us for ReBall is a PMI retailer and he can get us paint for relatively reasonable prices. Like $50 for Premium, $55 for All-Star, and $60 for Marbs. He got the PMI thing specifically to get cheaper paint. Before he came along, we used to pay around $75-$80 for Premium.

As for the honest people...well, that's our biggest problem. Most people are pretty honest because we just want to have fun, but there's been a few people we've caught not calling themselves out when they were obviously hit. Kinda sucks, but not much we can do. I'd say it's worth putting up with a few bad eggs though.

etjoyride
02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Thats pretty cool its probably pretty hard only playing with one hopper full(though i guess you watch your "paint" better.

Oops my bad, i see the part about having 3000 now.
COol setup, someone around here had an extra building me and my fiiends coulduse when were low on money

Have fun.

warpspyder
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
That definately looks like a load of fun. If we had someplace around here like that I'd definately try to do something like this.