PDA

View Full Version : Successfully painting an RT body black, tips?

andrewwl
02-21-2006, 06:40 PM
I have a shiney RT body that I want to paint flat black.

If anybody has done this successfully, please let me know what to do?

What type of paint did you use, and further, what brand, where did you purchase?

By what method did you apply it? Brush? Can?

Did you use any primer, or prep by another means, like sanding, or cleaning it in a special way?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Andrew

impy4335
02-21-2006, 06:51 PM
I think Luke will powdercoat it flat black. Great guy, just had some work done by him and he's super professional and cool. www.lukescustoms.com

operaterxrayter
02-21-2006, 07:07 PM
ill powder coat it. for 30 dollars.

fountainPen
02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
I think Luke will powdercoat it flat black. Great guy, just had some work done by him and he's super professional and cool. www.lukescustoms.com
I second that. :D

REDRT
02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Maybe someone would trade you their Black body for yours. I would've, but your about 2 years too late.

andrewwl
02-21-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm sure Luke does great work, but I'm into DIY and being cheap!

The OtterSC page actually have a fantastic article about painting... following it to a T is my plan so far.

Andrew

impy4335
02-21-2006, 08:34 PM
eh....you can paint it, but I'd advise you to get it powdercoated. I am totally into DIY also, but I know from experience that some things I can't do myself well. I sent my frame and sear to Luke for him to mod recently. I have access to a drill press (actually I have access to a mill and a lathe too) and taps, I could have figured it all out and drilled the sear and the set screw myself. I totally screwed up an Impulse trigger in the past trying to mod it. It worked, but looked ugly. So, I sent it to Luke. He did a WAY better job than I could have, did it faster and without my having to take a few hours to do the work myself.

As far as paintball guns go, I'd never paint one or anything. I saw one guy who etched guns. Looked alright but I would not have done it: it looks amatuerish even though he was a professional and the designs were good. I am not sure if you can anno SS, but that's easy to do. Paint and etching (with the ind of thing you etch names into keys with) are two htings that should nto be done. If you had professinal paints, such as my dad used with a professional sprayer to repaint his beat up old airplane (single engine piper from forever ago) then itmight turn out ok. But please don't use latex or oil paints!! If you do paint it, go for something that I think is actually a plastic when it cures. That might work out ok. But a run in the process could make it not nearly as good. If you really want a good job DIY, find someone in your town who can powdercoat, then ask if you can learn from them really quick so you can powdercoat your own body. they might let you if you can come in on some non busy day or something. I think it will ulimately look better and last longer than painting it.

jenarelJAM
02-23-2006, 08:13 PM
SPRAY PAINT!!! :ninja:

Pacifist_Farmer
02-26-2006, 08:32 AM
I at one point spray painted a body, and it turned out fine. the paint quickly chipped around the feed neck, but that area is of course covered by the elbow, so you couldn't see it. It was not a durable finish by far, but it did the job well enough.

Just hit it with some light sandpaper, and put 3 or 4 light coats of paint on it, if you want it shiny get some clear coat. Oh and definitely don't use brushes. krylon paints are excellent.