PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a brand new car , what would you reccomend ?

Soopa Villain17
02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
well ive had my fair share of used beaters. now i want something brand new , 05 or 06.

looking for something cheap to run and cheap to buy. i know of a few

hyundai accent 2dr
chevy cavieler
ford focus
pontiac sunfire
chevy cobalt

looking for something under 10 thousand. ive got 2 jobs so i know making payments wont be a problem and ive got almost perfect credit.

what car would you buy , or reccomend ?

edit: im leaning towards the 2dr cobalt becuase its a 5spd.

sean33
02-23-2006, 04:57 PM
wait til march...the new toyota FJ cruisers are coming out ...really nice...im probly geting one...

SCpoloRicker
02-23-2006, 05:21 PM
I'd seriously recommend buying something a few years old. It takes a lot of the value out of the car, so you'll be able to buy something a little nicer.

I bought an '02 Focus with 36k about a year and a half ago for 7k, and I haven't had any problems with it. 30+mpg, decently quick, good storage.

/now get the hell off my lawn

kosmo
02-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Why on earth would you want to buy the worst new cars possible when its not even a good idea to buy used anyway?

Edit: Oh wait... its him. Well, Hyundai has really gotten better over the past few years, and their warranties are always good.

SpecialBlend2786
02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Buying a brand new car is a huge waste of money.

Look for something a year or two used, chances are it will be a good deal cheaper.

beam
02-23-2006, 06:15 PM
I'd say get a Scion xB.

But that's just me. :)

Ole Unka Phil
02-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Go find yourself a good Program car like a Nissan Sentra or a Toyota Corolla or something.

HoppysMag
02-23-2006, 09:14 PM
seriously dont get a NEW car. get a used car, certified preowned is just as good normaly.

RapidTransit
02-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Lexus LS400, I don't need to say more. :cheers:

Soopa Villain17
02-23-2006, 09:44 PM
well i went out to the ford stealership tonight and checked out an 06 focus hatchback.

its got a sunroof , its a 5spd and gets 26 city and 3? highway mpg.

5 year warrenty for 9999 take home i belive.

mobsterboy
02-23-2006, 10:29 PM
anything bmw. It will bury you funding wise, but hey, they are beasts and their stuff is just off the chain. The new beamers have a sensor where if you let off the gas quickly, it gets the brakes ready and views it as a defensive maneuver. High tech if you ask me

lol
didnt bother to read your whole post. Sorry
its preference at that point. Gain the new car smell, lose your wallet...

kosmo
02-23-2006, 10:34 PM
What exactly is off the chain? :confused:

gimp
02-23-2006, 10:54 PM
anything bmw. It will bury you funding wise, but hey, they are beasts and their stuff is just off the chain. The new beamers have a sensor where if you let off the gas quickly, it gets the brakes ready and views it as a defensive maneuver. High tech if you ask me

In my truck the brakes are ready all the time. I just have to push the pedal. Call me old fashioned, but that's how I like my vehicle to run.

grEnAlEins
02-23-2006, 11:11 PM
no fords, when they go out of business you have no warranty :D

I like Dodge :cool:

BeaverEater
02-23-2006, 11:17 PM
ya go dodge, get a ram. Well honestly, id rather get something like a year or 2 old. You'll still have most of the factory warranty left on it, and really you shouldnt have any problems for a long time still.

RoadDawg
02-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Focus and Cavaliers are junk... I've used/own them both. Focus has been recalled at least twice in three years and the Cavaliers have a history of dying early. Go with a Toyota or Honda if your looking for something good.

-Tab
02-23-2006, 11:52 PM
The new beamers have a sensor where if you let off the gas quickly, it gets the brakes ready and views it as a defensive maneuver. High tech if you ask me

Gets your brakes ready?
When are your brakes not ready?

Recon by Fire
02-23-2006, 11:56 PM
If you insist of buying new then get one that is a year or two left over and get a big discount. Otherwise you will be better off getting a softly used vehicle for the money.

When it is time to close the deal express concern over the vehicle mechanical condition, will this vehicle last, is it well made? When they assure you the vehicle is a fine piece of machinery gladly exclaim: "Great, then you guys won't mind throwing in the extended service warranty for free because I won't need it, right?"

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
02-24-2006, 03:14 AM
Buying new or extremly old is like taking all the money you want to spend on a car, putting it in a paper bag and lighting it on fire.

Shane-O-Mac
02-24-2006, 04:43 AM
Buy a used Toyota corrola. The are practicly bullet proof, and hold a resale value very well. Check at a Toyota dealer for a certified used one. Even if it has 50k-70k, its just getting broken in, they typicly go to 175,00 before any major work is needed. Well as long as you take care of it.

OR

Dodge Neon, yea, yea, I know, but I truely like them. I have had 2, and we bought my wife a new one 6 mos ago. The deal was to good not to buy new with a great warranty. They dont have huge issuses in the newer ones. The older (4 yrs or so ago) had the head gasket problem, with oil leaks. But that flaw has been fixed, thats why we bought another one.

Shane-O

Recon by Fire
02-24-2006, 06:21 AM
Caught part of an advertisement for a car coming out later, new under $12K and 85 mpg!

Soopa Villain17
02-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Caught part of an advertisement for a car coming out later, new under $12K and 85 mpg!

any more info ? im headed to the ford stealership to test drive a 06 focus

Archangel Kid
02-24-2006, 01:35 PM
well ive had my fair share of used beaters.

Ok wait. You're 18 and you've had a fair share of beaters? Hmmm.... maybe you shouldn't be getting a new car just yet.

SkElL~ObIsSiS
02-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Take a look at a mazda, I bought a mazda protege 5 last year, used with 12k miles on it for 12g. Its a great litle car, good gas milage (28mpg), even tho i beat it. I was looking in the same market you are going thorught the same prosses, take these guys advice, go used, or certified pre-owned. my mazda came with a 3 year 50 thosand mile waranty. It handles like a dream even tho its a :gasp: "wagon"

Soopa Villain17
02-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Ok wait. You're 18 and you've had a fair share of beaters? Hmmm.... maybe you shouldn't be getting a new car just yet.

wad04
02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
what do 16-19 year olds drive other than beaters? ;)

and about the bmws, when the car senses loss of traction, the pedeal moves closer to the break (floor) saving you "critical" time. I think thats what it is anyway.

oh yeah, anything bmw?? wtf, if you know anything about beamers you would stay away from them.

Archangel Kid
02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Ok, even still. I have a car with 200K miles on it, first car and I'm 19. How hard is it to keep one car?

SkElL~ObIsSiS
02-24-2006, 02:22 PM
I SMASHED MY FIST ONE AFTER DRIVING IT FOR 3 MONTHES, damn caps dont feel like fixing it. Kid stuff....

Soopa Villain17
02-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Ok, even still. I have a car with 200K miles on it, first car and I'm 19. How hard is it to keep one car?

very hard when one thing after another goes wrong with both of them. im sick of trying to fix them , they keep costing me more and more money

REDRT
02-24-2006, 02:59 PM
The focus is a nice little car. Lots of room up front. Ford was doing Ipod and then Dell give a ways with them for a while. Maybe a promotion like thoughs is on the way again? I know your looking at new cars, but a demo or off short term lease can save you coin. On a side note the Ford Probe or the Mazda MX6 were sporty little cars that made milage. I had a 92' 1st gen probe lx with the 3 liter v-6 5-speed. 33MPG on the highway. They might be too old for your liking, but sometimes one can still find a lower mile late 90's one.

RapidTransit
02-24-2006, 06:24 PM
what do 16-19 year olds drive other than beaters? ;)
A Cuda and a Challenger :cheers:

Lohman446
02-24-2006, 06:27 PM
I bought a '75 Convertible Corvette when I turned 18, does that count?

BobTheCow
02-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I bought a '75 Convertible Corvette when I turned 18, does that count?
I think I want your life. :( Why the hell don't you still have it???

grEnAlEins
02-24-2006, 06:43 PM
33MPH on the highway.
I hope to gof you mean MPG, if not that is not that special, My Durango can go 33MPH down a muddy trail, on a road, or a highway, it can go even faster somtimes :p
And I got the 03 Durango at age 17 1/2, am now nearly 19.

rcl1221
02-24-2006, 06:45 PM
You should wait a bit for the new small cars coming in from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. Each of them are gonna be slotted both price and size-wise (not on the inside though) below the Corolla, Civic, and Sentra, respectively.

They will all be in your price range, ~$10k.

The Toyota Yaris (Sedan, and 5-door Hatch), Honda Fit (5-door Hatch), and the Nissan Versa (Sedan, and 5-door Hatch).

My pick would be the Yaris hatchback. I think it looks the coolest. The Yaris even has a big tuner background in Japan, so if you decide to work on your car, you have a pool of resources to go to.

Lohman446
02-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I think I want your life. :( Why the hell don't you still have it???

Stupid decisions, basically I sold it and used it as a down payment on my house. I had it through college, a couple spring breaks, was a wonderful toy, but was only a toy. Couldn't justify keeping it at the point in my life I sold it.

SniperSmurf
02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
:rofl:
My truck gets about 9 MPG... and it's a 2005!
I spend as much $ filling it with gas 3 times as I did on my first car...

When I had my 'Vette, I was spending more on insurance ($385 a MONTH!) than I did on car payments. Fiberglass cars get no love from the insurance companies...

Lohman446
02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
You should wait a bit for the new small cars coming in from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. Each of them are gonna be slotted both price and size-wise (not on the inside though) below the Corolla, Civic, and Sentra, respectively.

They will all be in your price range, ~$10k.

The Toyota Yaris (Sedan, and 5-door Hatch), Honda Fit (5-door Hatch), and the Nissan Versa (Sedan, and 5-door Hatch).

My pick would be the Yaris hatchback. I think it looks the coolest. The Yaris even has a big tuner background in Japan, so if you decide to work on your car, you have a pool of resources to go to.

Yeh, buy the first year production model of any car. Always a good idea :rolleyes:

/oh wait, no it isn't.

SniperSmurf
02-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeh, buy the first year production model of any car. Always a good idea :rolleyes:

/oh wait, no it isn't.
Yaris and Fit aren't new cars... Only new to America.

rcl1221
02-24-2006, 06:58 PM

/oh wait, no it isn't.

Uh, none of these cars are "new," they're just new to the US. They've been sold in Japan and Europe for many years, and have gone through generations. The Japanese saw a market for these cars in the US because as we all know, our gas-prices are skyrocketing.

So, in actuality, it would be a good idea. You can't beat Japanese quality.

*The only "All New" model is the Versa.

rcl1221
02-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Yaris and Fit aren't new cars... Only new to America.

Man, beat me to it..... At least someone knows what I'm talking about!

Lohman446
02-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Uh, none of these cars are "new," they're just new to the US. They've been sold in Japan and Europe for many years, and have gone through generations. The Japanese saw a market for these cars in the US because as we all know, our gas-prices are skyrocketing.

So, in actuality, it would be a good idea. You can't beat Japanese quality.

*The only "All New" model is the Versa.

I see.. so they have made no changes to emmissions or anything else to meet American standards? There is a reason that before Ford took over American Jaguars sucked so bad. Sure, the platform is going to have the kinks worked out (we assume) but it is not going to be on the road in America as it was in Japan. So well they may not be "new new" they are in a way new. As to the idea you can't beat Japanese quality... ehh I don't buy it.

wad04
02-24-2006, 07:59 PM
well of course theres always rich kids who have nice cars, but the average teen is going to have a beater.

mobsterboy
02-24-2006, 08:18 PM
1988 BMW 325i(too early for ci) Convertible
beater? I think not, topped it at 115 so far, but a 70/45 ticket has slown down my speedDemon inside me, or at least put the lead from my foot to my wallet, as that i have no cash

Bear_Claw
02-24-2006, 11:47 PM
The whole Jap car better than Domestic is ALOT of BS. I should know as im a mehcanic for aliving and fix emevery day.

Have you seriously considered a compact pickup truck. I personally like the Ford Rangers BEST bang for the buck. A reg cab shot box Ranger 2wd with the 2.3l 4 cyl and a 5 speed stick is a fun little zippy vehical still able to hit low 30mpg on the higway and mid 20mpg average.

I have had two Ford Rangers thus far. Had a 1999 model i bought used off short term lease in 2000. and i currently own a 1996 4x4 model ex cab. My 1996 i just got but its in amazing shape for the year and milage (150,000 MILES) and shows no signs of quiting anytime soon.

My 1999 i had for three years and 93,000 miles and it only reqiered regulare maintanece sparkplugs, breaks and a o2 sensore.

Both my rangers had the 3.0L V6 engein. My 1999 was 2wd reg cab and averaged 24mpg with a best of 26mpg. My 1996 is 4x4 and ex cab and averages 21mpg and gets a best of 23mpg. Both trucks were autos though :cry: .

If you get one with a 2.3L 4 cylinder you get an awsomely reliable engein decent power and amazing fuel milage.

My Next truck gona be a 4cyk ranger 5 speed reg cab 2wd and ill keep my 96 as a Toy/ toy hauler.

Soopa Villain17
02-24-2006, 11:52 PM
The whole Jap car better than Domestic is ALOT of BS. I should know as im a mehcanic for aliving and fix emevery day.

Have you seriously considered a compact pickup truck. I personally like the Ford Rangers BEST bang for the buck. A reg cab shot box Ranger 2wd with the 2.3l 4 cyl and a 5 speed stick is a fun little zippy vehical still able to hit low 30mpg on the higway and mid 20mpg average.

I have had two Ford Rangers thus far. Had a 1999 model i bought used off short term lease in 2000. and i currently own a 1996 4x4 model ex cab. My 1996 i just got but its in amazing shape for the year and milage (150,000 MILES) and shows no signs of quiting anytime soon.

My 1999 i had for three years and 93,000 miles and it only reqiered regulare maintanece sparkplugs, breaks and a o2 sensore.

Both my rangers had the 3.0L V6 engein. My 1999 was 2wd reg cab and averaged 24mpg with a best of 26mpg. My 1996 is 4x4 and ex cab and averages 21mpg and gets a best of 23mpg. Both trucks were autos though :cry: .

If you get one with a 2.3L 4 cylinder you get an awsomely reliable engein decent power and amazing fuel milage.

My Next truck gona be a 4cyk ranger 5 speed reg cab 2wd and ill keep my 96 as a Toy/ toy hauler.

well my grandfather wants to sell me his 01 ranger. its a 5spd and only has like 65k on it. the only thing he has ever done to it is shocks and oil changes. very reliable but not really my kind of truck. i did however find a nice 94 dodge ram , v8 , 4k on a new 5spd tranny. 2wd for under 2k. hmmm

SniperSmurf
02-25-2006, 02:22 AM
well my grandfather wants to sell me his 01 ranger. its a 5spd and only has like 65k on it. the only thing he has ever done to it is shocks and oil changes. very reliable but not really my kind of truck. i did however find a nice 94 dodge ram , v8 , 4k on a new 5spd tranny. 2wd for under 2k. hmmm
Get the Ranger... No question. At your age, with insurance, gas and maintenance costs, you'll thank me later.

BeaverEater
02-25-2006, 02:58 AM
ya to find a car brand new under 10k is really not gonna get you much of a car. Id look towards a slightly used vehicle and if your looking towards a truck, get a dodge. They are around have the price of a ford or chevy for basically the same thing. I paid 7k for my 99 quad cab 4x4 and i absolutely love it. If your looking for something a little better on gas, go towards like a civic or a similar car. They are by far the best daily drivers.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
02-25-2006, 07:04 AM
94 dodge ram , v8 , 4k on a new 5spd tranny. 2wd for under 2k. I pretty have the same truck as that except mine is auto. your differences in MPG in a auto and a stick aren't really that much different however your insurance for a stick is a lot cheaper. And trust me if you go the truck route buy a 4X4 I live in wisconsin. The rear end is all over the place with over 200 lbs of sand in the bed.

Lohman446
02-25-2006, 07:37 AM

Wait a minute. You come in here talking about small, four cylinder, economy cars and then all of the sudden your looking at a V8 full size truck as "in the same category"?

/And you wonder why people call you retarded?

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
02-25-2006, 08:05 AM
well if you can get a full size cheaper then buying new I don't see the problem.
I got my 94 ram 1500 for $900 with 148K miles on it. Was looking at getting a ranger Because of the gas issue but that deal cam eup and paid right out cash for it and the great thing is I Have no car payments. Yeah I bought it back from a insurance company, and yes it was in a front end accident. (Marine buddy was injured driving back from Des Moines and rear ended a bunch of illegal's, Totaled out because of paint damage, AC condenser, , replacement of the front bumper.)

Soopa also look a insurance buy back vehicle's you seem to know how to tinker around a engine. Insurance companies total out a slew of good vehicles cause they only see the cost of taking them to dealerships to have them fixed.

Soopa Villain17
02-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Wait a minute. You come in here talking about small, four cylinder, economy cars and then all of the sudden your looking at a V8 full size truck as "in the same category"?

/And you wonder why people call you retarded?

god your a moron. if i bought a used truck with v8. id just use the money i would of spent on a new car , on gas ? see it works out perfectly , now stop being a douche bag

thanks for the advice drunkrussian

Lohman446
02-25-2006, 10:33 AM
god your a moron. if i bought a used truck with v8. id just use the money i would of spent on a new car , on gas ? see it works out perfectly , now stop being a douche bag

thanks for the advice drunkrussian

Yeh.. thats it. Your reasoning for buying a car was you were sick of maintenance. So you were looking at newer cars. Judging by the cars you were looking at there was some consideration to economy. Now you're looking at an over ten year old truck that, judging by the price and repairs done, probably has plenty of miles on it. Tell me again about not wanting to do maintenance?

/And I'm the moron in this?
//Right, I know nothing about cars, I remember that now

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
02-25-2006, 10:38 AM
one thing forgot to add is that when you look at trucks. Look out for Diesel's yeah they are great trucks and will last you forever. But when something goes wrong prepare to pay the cost for parts are through the roof plus insurance is going to eat you alive. Diesels plus up in WI is that your emissions are skipped. Also its not really something you should look into unless you own a business.

Speaking of which just talked to my boss and he's selling a 94 F450 PTO dump truck 9 1/2 fisher plow with Snow Ex poly salter, 5 speed, resrunge to manicipul springs, 7.3 turbo powerstroke for roughly 5k thinking of buying it and starting a business. only downside your not going faster than 55, no radio and AC.\

Owners of fields good truck?

Soopa Villain17
02-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeh.. thats it. Your reasoning for buying a car was you were sick of maintenance. So you were looking at newer cars. Judging by the cars you were looking at there was some consideration to economy. Now you're looking at an over ten year old truck that, judging by the price and repairs done, probably has plenty of miles on it. Tell me again about not wanting to do maintenance?

/And I'm the moron in this?
//Right, I know nothing about cars, I remember that now

it has 124k , a brand new rebuilt tranny with 4k on it ( saw the reciepts ) all new ball joints and front end parts. plus its a 318 and there bullet proof as i already have a 86 5th avenuea with one and its still kickin. plus trucks are much easier to work on than cars. at least on the dodge i could sit in the engine bay to work on it. as with the new cars you can even fit a wrench inside the engine bays cuz theyre so packed full of plastic.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
02-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Forgot to add about trucks. If you ever move/haul/building some thing you don't have to rent. It's more practical to own a truck and a car together.

Automaggot68
02-25-2006, 03:40 PM
it has 124k , a brand new rebuilt tranny with 4k on it ( saw the reciepts ) all new ball joints and front end parts. plus its a 318 and there bullet proof as i already have a 86 5th avenuea with one and its still kickin. plus trucks are much easier to work on than cars. at least on the dodge i could sit in the engine bay to work on it. as with the new cars you can even fit a wrench inside the engine bays cuz theyre so packed full of plastic.

Dude.
I've laid off up untill now.
You're a goid damned moron.
LISTEN TO LOHMAN
ASK HIM WHA THE DOES FOR A LIVING.
You make a public post, in a public thread, on this forum, and you can't handle it when someone who KNOW MORE THAN YOU says something YOU DONT WANT TO HEAR.
Go ahead.
Ask Lohman why he know's anything about cars.

wad04
02-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Hmmm occupation: automotive.

:eek:

REDRT
02-25-2006, 04:14 PM
I hope to gof you mean MPG, if not that is not that special, My Durango can go 33MPH down a muddy trail, on a road, or a highway, it can go even faster somtimes :p
And I got the 03 Durango at age 17 1/2, am now nearly 19.

Oops :D Well I guess everyone knew MPG is what I ment.

This is way off from something new/newer that doesn't need work and gets some mileage. I wouldn't go this route for a primary vehical if I was you. I forsee problems. My backround is diesel truck/heavy equipment mechanic.

REDRT
02-25-2006, 04:24 PM
You can't beat Japanese quality.

Funny in Japan they like US imports.

atm743
02-25-2006, 04:52 PM
chevy cavieler = NO NO

my mother has this car and its PATEDIC. i drove it alot and the thing as no power or pick up. its really small. its ment for short people. if you are tall dont get it. i have the seat all the way back and my legs are still cramp'd

only thing i like about the car is that is good on gas.

SpecialBlend2786
02-25-2006, 06:23 PM

I'd say go with the Ranger. great little trucks. My gf has a 2000 ranger and has never had a single problem with it. How much can you get the ranger for?

As for the dodge, meh. I've never liked em that much in the first place, plus like lohman said, it won't really help you with your low maintenance woes. Keep in mind that the truck is 12 years old.

SCpoloRicker
02-25-2006, 06:42 PM
So, I'm torn between the Viper and the Civic Type R...

/get the Ranger
//ya dumbass

Bear_Claw
02-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah im a Mehcanic for a living as well and also too would STRONGLY suggest AGAINST buying an older full size. I had a 1994 F250 with a Diesel and FULLY loaded. Had that truck 3 years and LOVED IT. It had 100,000miles when i bought it and almost 200,000 when i sold it. It was a X farm truck though and was BEAT to hell. In all that truck cost me $16,000 in three years Includeing the purchase price and my modifications. It was great and had power to do ANYTHING and was even capable of pulling off 20mpg on the highway as long as you kept it a 60miles/hr. BUT it was 12 years old. ANd comeing from owning one your gona need to look at body mounts, rust repairs, Front end repairs driveline repairs(u-joints), suspenshion woes ETC. Its not CHEAP but its still cheaper than owning a NEW fullsize but more time consuming and the PITA factor turns som away.

IF you consider pickup SERIOUSLY look at the RANGERS No older than say a 2000(in 1998 they switched to a less costly front suspenshion that gets a better ride and is more trouble free). I got the 1996 because the old suspenshion is better suited for off road (although its more of a PITA. IF you want a bit of power the 4.0L V6 is PLENTY and has more so than some of the smaller V8 trucks but you also get alot closer to the V8s milage. Hte 3.0L v6 is a nice compromise and is proven VERY reliabel wether theirs and auto of a stick behinde it. ANd BRAND NEW you can get a ranger nicely equiped for $16,000 with a V6.

Buy one one or two years old and you can get a loaded 4x4 for your $10k.

Timmee
02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
chevy cavieler = NO NO

my mother has this car and its PATEDIC. i drove it alot and the thing as no power or pick up. its really small. its ment for short people. if you are tall dont get it. i have the seat all the way back and my legs are still cramp'd

What is patedic? I really can't understand your post, the grammar and spelling are PATHETIC.

beam
02-25-2006, 08:44 PM
xB

RoadDawg
02-25-2006, 10:35 PM
chevy cavieler = NO NO

Actually I've got a 97 Cavalier RS (2 dr coupe) and it has plenty of pickup for it's size (w/o modification). It has a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder inside, which isn't fantastic but it's better then the 1.4L. Thing I don't like about the Cavalier is the shelf life. Meaning at around 150k they start to poop out, sometimes sooner. Plus with the cost of a new one, you could buy something MUCH better. Plus I'm 6'1" and have had no issues with leg cramping. In fact the only car I have had problems of that type are in the smaller Kia's and the Geo Metro.

Like my previous post said... go with a Honda or Toyota. I've known several people that have had their toyota corolla since '84 and have over 300k on the odometer having only replaced the alternator and a few easy replacement parts.

davebuckford
02-26-2006, 02:18 AM
BMW 320I WIL GET u around ;)

kosmo
02-26-2006, 08:34 AM
xB

Die.

bofh
02-26-2006, 12:14 PM
So, I'm torn between the Viper and the Civic Type R...

/die in a fire
//ya dumbass

Fixed that for you.

Cameo
02-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Back in september we bought a Chevy Aveo LT for around 12 grand walking off the lot with the extended 10 year bumper to bumper warrenty. granted we probley did not need that much of a warrenty and such, but being that I am a chick it is easier for me to take it to the mechanic and such that way.
I did notice that right now the chevy dealership has an 06 for just over 9 grand, which actually ends up being less then what we paid.
Now what do we think of it this many months later.. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. I am averaging about 38 miles to the gallon. I thought it was going to be to small to be carting the kids around in, but it is the perfect size. With the size that it is I have found that it is not getting cluttered with "stuff" like my past cars did. I am pleasantly surprized at the power that it has (figured it would have none), and even thought it is front wheel drive it does have the "hold" which helps with the wheels spinning when I get stuck in the driveway or when it snows.
There have actually been 2 people at my work that liked my aveoso much that they have gone and bought one for themselves. Not a single one of us have had problems.
If you don't like chevy i highly suggest that you look into the Suzuki reno or areo. they are smaller cars that had great leg and head room. very inexpensive too.. Plus they come with the suzuki 7 year bumper to bumper warrenty. We would have bought one of these if we were able to get one in black in a reasonable amount of time.. but alas it was a 6 week wait. So with the black Aveo we went..

gimp
02-26-2006, 10:39 PM
I just saw this link for a honda civic commercial. Thought I'd throw it in this thread http://84.40.3.164/

Kinda cool.

I bought an 05 Chevy Colorado for 8100 bucks last year. It was brand new, but it's as stripped as you can get. It's a great little truck. Gets about 25 mpg with my studded snow tires and weight in the back. Probably does a little better with the summer tires and no weight.

MoeMag
02-27-2006, 12:09 AM
I’m a German import and American truck guy. I (family) have 12 cars currently… I am speaking from experience with these cars.

BMW mini cooper. Great gas mileage. CAN be cheap, really cool, And FUN TO DRIVE.

VW Golf or Jetta TDI models. Those things are turbo diesel and gets 40mpg. Not to mention a great tuner… if you are into that kind of thing but a little $$$, but you save on gas $$.

Older Mercedes-Benz. I got a ’97 c280 compressor two years ago for $10k. Great deal… MB’s run FOREVER and that little hood ornament out front does a lot for your self-esteem.

I was surprised when my dad got a Honda accord in ’05. I am not a jap car fan, but I really do like that car. However the 4 cyl can be scary getting onto the freeways.

My 1994 f150 ranch truck is my baby. I just rolled 150k and it is still going great. A bit of a gas hog though. But they are really safe… A spankin’ new blimp mobile caddy rear-ended me a few years back, the caddy was totaled and my bumper was bent (a little)

Finally I have to endorse my ’04 ranger. It’s the suicide style 4 doors, 6 cylinders. That thing is FAST. It gets away from me sometimes. Nice little truck. The turning radius on it scares me sometimes though. I can turn a big hay delivery truck in a smaller circle.

DO NOT GET A CAVALEIR!!! (or any new American car for that matter, trucks are fine)

That’s my $0.02. Really look into older M-B’s, I was surprised, especially for $10k.

Lohman446
02-27-2006, 09:54 AM
VW Golf or Jetta TDI models. Those things are turbo diesel and gets 40mpg. Not to mention a great tuner… if you are into that kind of thing but a little $$$, but you save on gas $$..

And have an estimated turbo life of about 100K miles.... :D (though I have personally seen some go a lot further) Before jumping onto the foreign car bandwagon one has to consider what is available around them. How easy are parts going to be to get? Does your normal technician have the scan tools for the vehicle you are looking at (not talking some generic code reader here)? Is your normal technician willing to work on it? Are you confident in someone else? Are you going to have to go to the dealer more often for stuff and spend the $$$?

Soopa Villain17
02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
I’m a German import and American truck guy. I (family) have 12 cars currently… I am speaking from experience with these cars.

BMW mini cooper. Great gas mileage. CAN be cheap, really cool, And FUN TO DRIVE.

VW Golf or Jetta TDI models. Those things are turbo diesel and gets 40mpg. Not to mention a great tuner… if you are into that kind of thing but a little $$$, but you save on gas $$.

Older Mercedes-Benz. I got a ’97 c280 compressor two years ago for $10k. Great deal… MB’s run FOREVER and that little hood ornament out front does a lot for your self-esteem.

I was surprised when my dad got a Honda accord in ’05. I am not a jap car fan, but I really do like that car. However the 4 cyl can be scary getting onto the freeways.

My 1994 f150 ranch truck is my baby. I just rolled 150k and it is still going great. A bit of a gas hog though. But they are really safe… A spankin’ new blimp mobile caddy rear-ended me a few years back, the caddy was totaled and my bumper was bent (a little)

Finally I have to endorse my ’04 ranger. It’s the suicide style 4 doors, 6 cylinders. That thing is FAST. It gets away from me sometimes. Nice little truck. The turning radius on it scares me sometimes though. I can turn a big hay delivery truck in a smaller circle.

DO NOT GET A CAVALEIR!!! (or any new American car for that matter, trucks are fine)

That’s my $0.02. Really look into older M-B’s, I was surprised, especially for $10k.

well the car im driving now is a 95 v dubb golf. it just needs a few hundred in parts , for example i need an o2 sensor ( im running way to rich , and im blowing carbon out my exhaust ) i need to replace the plug wires , wich are 80 bucks themselves , fuel filter , plugs , dist cap and rotor. thermostat. and some body work. ill probly just keep it cuz its fun to drive. my gf has an 01 cavilere and it has no balls at all. she got a good deal on it , but now things are starting to go wrong after 2 months of her having it.

Steelrat
02-27-2006, 11:43 AM
M-B and BMW are all nice and good...UNTIL you have to get them repaired. The service bills are horrendous.

I say Toyota. I had a 88 tercel that I got rid of at 150K. I had used it for multiple trips accross the country, pizza delivery, and general commuting, and it NEVER crapped out on me. Solid, dependable transportation.

MoeMag
02-27-2006, 01:08 PM
M-B and BMW are all nice and good...UNTIL you have to get them repaired. The service bills are horrendous.

Very true. However they almost never need service. On the MB I have had to have the brakes redone, and that’s it. Unlike others... *cough my friends cavalier *cough.

As far as local “average” corner technicians!!! I would NEVER take my Porsche, or any of my cars for that matter, to one of those guys. Take it to a specialist (dealer or independent) EVERY TIME, or you WILL mess something up. If you are going to do it, do it right the first time, especially when it comes to large investments such as cars.

Lohman446
02-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Very true. However they almost never need service. On the MB I have had to have the brakes redone, and that’s it. Unlike others... *cough my friends cavalier *cough.

As far as local “average” corner technicians!!! I would NEVER take my Porsche, or any of my cars for that matter, to one of those guys. Take it to a specialist (dealer or independent) EVERY TIME, or you WILL mess something up. If you are going to do it, do it right the first time, especially when it comes to large investments such as cars.

I actually have a large enough shop to have specialized technicians. That being said, without major investments on specialty equipment, there are some things that the vehicle is just going to have to see the dealer on. If I lived in an area that people drove MBs and BMWs I might consider such an investment. You have to look around some too, you don't want to be the only one in your area with a certain kind of car. For instance my dad owns a Jaguar, so we have everything we need to work on many Jaguars and an odd amount of expertise on them. We don't have the same for say Porsche. Though most things are simple mechanics there are things that are not.

TheAngryDrunkenRussian
02-27-2006, 01:36 PM
very true there Lohman But that also Applies to dealerships as well. If you take anything that is work related vehicle such as a F450 or Dodge 3500 Dumper most dealerships won't fix them even though the can sell you them but won't fix them. That my experence. Always call ahead and see if they can repair it.

I drove a F550 around for 3 hrs trying at different Ford dealerships to fix that beast. Found one off good hope road in milwaukee

Lohman446
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
very true there Lohman But that also Applies to dealerships as well. If you take anything that is work related vehicle such as a F450 or Dodge 3500 Dumper most dealerships won't fix them even though the can sell you them but won't fix them. That my experence. Always call ahead and see if they can repair it.

I drove a F550 around for 3 hrs trying at different Ford dealerships to fix that beast. Found one off good hope road in milwaukee

Its a matter of equipment. The last hoist I installed will pick up about 15 tons and up to... I don't recall exactly I think it was a 36' RV we measured it out to. So I get a lot of the "run off" of big trucks in the area that the dealers can't / won't deal with. The other option is to take them half an hour away to another independent, the closest dealers that will deal with big stuff on a regular basis are about 60 miles away.