PDA

View Full Version : x-valve frozen!!!

gortman44
02-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I was using it in my pump mag, with twelve grams. It started freezing in the games and now it is like it is clogged. is it just orings, or is it something else.

thanks for your time
Blake

MoeMag
02-28-2006, 04:50 AM
AHHHHHH :cry:

X-valve + CO2 = BAD :nono:

AGD says: "Compressed Air or nitrogen ONLY"

You probably ruined all the o-ring, and some of the reg parts.

Get a classic valve for your pump mag, they can use CO2 with low CPS. Someone will give you good money for that x-valve, if you can fix it.

neppo1345
02-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Theres %99.999999999 that the valve is perfectly fine.

The C02 probably just mucked up some o-rings, tear down the valve, get a rebuild kit, and you'll be up and running in no time.

Jay R.
02-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I have a classic mag valve with one star, I'm looking for an X-valve....

craltal
02-28-2006, 10:55 AM
probably all of the soft parts inside have been damaged. Use of a rebuild kit should take care of the problem, just don't use CO2 on it again or I'll have to confiscate it for abuse.

:D

gortman44
02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
probably all of the soft parts inside have been damaged. Use of a rebuild kit should take care of the problem, just don't use CO2 on it again or I'll have to confiscate it for abuse.

:D
lol.. well i got a sidline stab, but i didnt want to use it. but i guess i gotta now

Outlaw5
03-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Sir, Using a sideline Stab will NOT work!!! If you put CO2 into an X-Valve you will freeze orings and possibly damage the reg seat. Use Compressed Air only or put a classic valve on the pump. You can get a classic valve off of Ebay for dirt cheep. Good luck and remember.......NO CO2 FOR THE X-VAVLE! V/R Jerry Perkins

gortman44
03-01-2006, 09:19 AM
I have a classic valve. I just dont like the weight of it.... allot of people have told me that a stab would fix, using co2

Lohman446
03-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Reliable sources indicate it may be possible to run an X-valve on CO2. I have never tried this, nor do I intend to, but check this thread - specifically the two quoted posts http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191835

Yes, of course, that INERT gas is going destroy your orings. Give me a break guys. This is the same crap that circulates on the cocker forums anytime someone wants to run a cocker on CO2. "Ohhh teh noezzz the front block will corrode and your three way will explode and leak." or my personal favorite "Never run CO2, just one time is enough to destroy all your seals and corrode the body."

If the rings are clean and lubricated with a good synthetic oil, there will be zero damage. Now, that's not to say that it won't leak if they freeze, but once they thaw back out again, they'll seal right back up again, unless you take it apart and damage them while they're frozen.

I have personally run Retro Vales, RTP, EMag, and XValves on CO2. No damage, and no leaks.

That said, they just don't much care for it either. The Mag needs around 650 psi to operate correctly, but CO2 wants to go liquid at that pressure, so it's a real PITA.

You'll need to double reg it at the very least. I have found that the second gen manifold MaxFlo tank regs work very well for this. I have one with an anti-syphon tube, and it will consistently put out 600 psi without liquid. Ask more than that out of it, and you'll get a snort of liquid every once in a while.

I say try it out. You will find, as I and many other have, that its not destructive, but that it doesn't work all that well either.

That is all.

The o-rings in an X-valve are tougher than you think. IIRC, all the o-rings are urethane or nitrile. They are very tolerant of co2. Now, if you had your heart set on using co2 on a x-valve, I believe you can do it. Use a bottomline stabilizer, and an anti-siphon tank. set the output of the stab to 600psi. Co2 cannot stay liquid under that pressure. you wont get much reactivity for the trgger at 600psi, but the gun will run fine off 600psi. OR if you run remote, get a stabilizer and a remote line. That will be the best way to keep any liquid out of the gun. As long as liquid doesnt get in there your seals will never know a difference.

The main issue I see, is that as you shoot a string of shots, the valve warms up slightly and the velocity goes up. With Co2 in there the velocity spike may be larger. So set the velocity lower than usual. Since I have an RT Pro valve now (sames as X-valve) I may just put it togther with Co2, just to see exactly how well it works.

Shane-O

Both of these people are highly knowledgeable, if you insist on running an X-valve on CO2 (still not recommended) I would contact them for further information on how to.

gortman44
03-01-2006, 08:00 PM
thanks lohman

ta2maki
03-02-2006, 12:23 AM
From my reading, I beleive that the main reason for CO2 not being recommended is that the compressive nature of the xvalve, it can heat the gas being used. For CO2, that means potentially dangerous swings in velocity. Since you are using it in a pump application. I highly doubt you will have these velocity spikes.

craltal
03-02-2006, 10:06 AM
From my reading, I beleive that the main reason for CO2 not being recommended is that the compressive nature of the xvalve, it can heat the gas being used. For CO2, that means potentially dangerous swings in velocity. Since you are using it in a pump application. I highly doubt you will have these velocity spikes.

The problem isn't with gaseous Co2, it's liquid CO2 that's the problem. Air and CO2 will behave similarly when in gaseous form, basic chemistry. But we introduce liquid CO2 into the matter by filling our tanks with it. If you get liquid CO2 into the valve and it gets heated you have a major over pressure issue which results in a major velocity spike yielding a dangerous situation. There is also the problem that liquid CO2 is cold and will freeze the innards. As Lohman quoted, if that happens and you don't touch it, you should be fine, but I don't know very many people that just sit their broken gun down and don't touch it or try to fire it, etc.