PDA

View Full Version : Stripped screw

MAGS own YOU
12-15-2001, 02:59 PM
Alright, this screw that is holding my foregrip on is bugging me so bad, its time to loose it. Its totaly stripped, almost to a circle. If I drill it out, will it screw my rail over? And how do i drill it? I need specific detail, becuase I want the old grip off and my new grip on. Like i said, i need specific info on it. Glueing the allen to it doesnt work, welding glue doesnt work. All ideas are helpful.

Puddleglum
12-15-2001, 03:13 PM
Take a very VERY thin hack-saw blade. Cut a slit through the screw and remove with a screwdriver. From now on you will never have to worry about stripping the head hole.

X-Plosive
12-15-2001, 04:45 PM
I'm no expert. I know there are several people on here that can help you. Try doing a search, I know this has been answered many times. The problem is that the Vertical Adapter screw is countersunk into the rail so if you try to cut a slit into the screw you will almost always damage the rail. I've done it with a dremel before. I found the smallest grinding disk and grinded a slit into it but even then I nicked the rail a bit. I do know they make specific drill bits that will be able to help you.

Cha0tic
12-15-2001, 05:11 PM
have you ever seen the gator grip on tv? it can unscrew any type of screw, even stripped screws. you might want to look for one at sears or home depot.

MAGS own YOU
12-15-2001, 06:21 PM
There isnt any part that I could use a gator grip on.

Tunaman
12-15-2001, 07:34 PM
You are gonna have to drill it out. Use a 1/4" dill bit first. Only drill as far as you need to go through the rail. Then drill the head off(or almost off) with a drill bit the same size as the head of the screw. Don't worry about hitting the rail as it won't hurt much. Once you have the head drilled almost off, you should be able to snap the foregrip off. Then you can use a vise grip to remove the screw frome the foregrip or vert adapter.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-15-2001, 07:35 PM
the gator grip needs something to hold on to. the screw is in the rail so it wouldn't work. i had one stripped in the rail too. i used the dremel too and put a slit in the screw. also put a slit in the rail too. i wouldn't think that it would do anything cause the breach covers that part on the rail anyways. would it mess it up. i'm gonna put my spare parts on it to see if it works. i'll be back.

Puddleglum
12-16-2001, 12:58 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the sunken part. My bad. I guess you should follow Tuna's advice.

adlar
12-16-2001, 03:43 PM
Have you thought of trying the screw head repair kits? You fill in the stripped out hex, slot or whatever bit hole and make a new screw head. Please forgive my description, I've never tried this, but I remember seeing the kits in the hardware store by the threadlocking compounds. They also make screwdriver bits specifically for removing damaged screws.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-16-2001, 09:20 PM
i forgot to repost. the big slit in my body rail doesn't really do anything. so if you dremel it out, and cut the rail, it really doesn't make a difference. it just makes a hole. no big deal.

SoupRman
12-16-2001, 09:32 PM
if it wasnt already mentioned. take a pencil, shove the eraser end into the screw. and try to unscrew... if that doesnt work... try to jam something slightly bigger than the hole into the hold. umm im all out of ideas right now, my dremel idea was already mentioned.

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-16-2001, 09:36 PM
if you do use the dremel idea, make sure you cut it deep. if you don't make it deep enough, you'll just strip it out and it you'll be really screwed. hahah ,screwed. i had to cut the whole head to get the one that stripped in mine.

steveg
12-17-2001, 07:19 AM
Hi fellas.
I've removed a lot of stripped sockethead screws in my
life (none of them stripped by me of course:rolleyes: )
Tunaman's method is my preferred method
It is easier to use a drill bit that is the same size
or just a bit larger than the Hex hole ,Probibly
a 3/16" drill in this case
the hole will
guide the drill and you don't have to worry about touching
the aluminum on the rail.
The bolt head is about 1/8" thick so drill a bit further
than that.
At that point the two pieces will probably pop apart, if
not GENTLY pry the two parts in opposite directions
If they still don't come apart go to the next size larger
drill again the last hole will guide the drill.

Use a small visegrip to remove the bit of screw left in the
grip.

When you reassemble everything use a dab of grease on the
threads and a new nonrounded correct sized wrench

That is how sockethead bolts get rounded/stripped in the
first place