PDA

View Full Version : knee and elbow/forearm pads

Jotsy
03-05-2006, 09:16 AM
so how many of you actually wear these pads? i mean, i've got JT paintball playing trousers and they've got padding on the knees. are extra knee pads really necessary? also, i wanna try sliding on my front more, what are your feelings on the elbow/forearm pads? i've been told that padding isn't actually legal in some tourneys, is this true or what?

hellrasiermike
03-05-2006, 09:47 AM
so how many of you actually wear these pads? i mean, i've got JT paintball playing trousers and they've got padding on the knees. are extra knee pads really necessary? also, i wanna try sliding on my front more, what are your feelings on the elbow/forearm pads? i've been told that padding isn't actually legal in some tourneys, is this true or what?

I used to think "no, I didn't need these". Then one day I slide into a small rock with my left knee. Limped for about a week. This was without my JT pants though. So basicly if your going to play a woodsball variant, wear the extra pads (keep them lose though). Otherwise your JT's will do just fine for speed/X Ball. I always wear forearm pads though.

two_four_878
03-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I wear forearm pads all the time. I wear knee/shin pads as well but they're seperate pads so I can wear one or the other. I kneeled down right on a tent peg one time and from then on I've always worn them.

Jotsy
03-05-2006, 10:38 AM
hmm thanks guys. do you have any suggestions of what brand to get? and how do i find out what size i want? most likely i'll need either L or M but i'm not sure. i'm roughly 11.5 inches from my elbow to my wrist.

REDRT
03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
It is all about safety. Rough housing like paintball takes it's toll on ones body. I started to ware pads about 2 yours ago. I wished I had started sooner. If you are of adverage size you will have no problem finding stuff to fit. I on the other hand am a big guy. My biceps are 19" around currently and I can't find elbow pad to fit past my elbows. I use Dye xl knee pads, but elbow pads is a tuff one for me. Maybe a small knee pad for my elbows?

SpitFire1299
03-05-2006, 12:02 PM
One time i dropped down on a small tree stub in the middle of a game.. i couldnt stop screaming "****!!!!" :argh:

can'tthink of1
03-05-2006, 12:42 PM
i played yesterday. I have 04 jt pants, the padded ones, and well, I did one slide and my knee got cut a lil. Knee pads will help reduce problems alter down the line too, so i figure they're worth it. Elbow pads are good if you crawl or do superman slides. I'm planning on picking up some knee and elbow pads haha.

peewee
03-05-2006, 01:17 PM
I wear some old knee pads & I am on the hunt now for some elbow pads now after taking a chunk out of my elbow on a slid. Its taken several weeks to heal. Still aint done yet. Not into the sleeve type pads (bounce pads).

MisterBones25
03-05-2006, 01:43 PM
after getting some seriouse grass burn on my forearms and elbows, i decided to get some dye core elbow pads. they have got to be one of the best investments i'v made. they realy do protect your elbows and forearms if you slide alot, plus, i'v gotten quite a few bounces.

GT
03-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I wear shorts so knee pads are a must. They are a dam blast on an indoor crapet field. Slide for days.

two_four_878
03-05-2006, 04:06 PM
hmm thanks guys. do you have any suggestions of what brand to get? and how do i find out what size i want? most likely i'll need either L or M but i'm not sure. i'm roughly 11.5 inches from my elbow to my wrist.

I use empire vents elbow/forearm pads, but for my legs I use volleyball kneepads and small soccer shin guards.

I on the other hand am a big guy. My biceps are 19" around currently and I can't find elbow pad to fit past my elbows. I use Dye xl knee pads, but elbow pads is a tuff one for me. Maybe a small knee pad for my elbows?

When I went into Badlands Winnipeg, the guy was worried about my arms being too big for regular arm pads. He said he had just had a guy that had to use small leg pads for his arms so I'd say go for it.

Jotsy
03-05-2006, 05:41 PM
can anybody help me out with the size? how long is an L sized forearm protector?

Lohman446
03-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I play front, slide often, and hate the restrictive feeling of padding. I often come away pretty bruised up. They might be worth it if you can stand the feel of them :)

BeaverEater
03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
I used to hate wearing knee pads but now i wont play without them. One nice slide over a rock will change your mind real fast. Plus between paintball and work, my knees take their toll of punishment.

Lohman446
03-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I used to hate wearing knee pads but now i wont play without them. One nice slide over a rock will change your mind real fast. Plus between paintball and work, my knees take their toll of punishment.

I played IAO... part of one tapeline was a gravel road. I took plenty of rocks...

master_alexander
03-05-2006, 10:37 PM
ive never liked pads because they can be constricting.

but every weekend i would scratch my knees up and it was horrible... so i got some pants with pads on them, and a jersey for the same.

paullus99
03-06-2006, 05:58 AM
After 17 years of playing, the knees aren't what they used to be. I was in agony for a while until I got a really nice set of knee pads.

Baby Huey
03-06-2006, 06:34 AM
I've had 8 knee recon's so I have always worn knee pads. I started wearing elbows once I got into speedball. If you run and dive into bunkers a lot they will be worth the money. i run with dye knees and elbows. Good luck and God Bless.

White_Noise
03-06-2006, 03:17 PM
ive torn up my knees/arms in both woods and speedball. i never play with out pads now. i will even play in the woods, or in rec games with shorts, but will still wear my knee pads. i play every position on the field as well. and soem back players will argue against pads, but i think that if you are going to have to move up later, the pads will be handy.

not to mention for all of those people looking out for this, the pads help with bounce, etc.

as for brands, id suggest proto/dye pads. i use both dye knee/arm pads right now which are very comfortable, dont move around at all(had a problem with this with a JT set of knee pads), they also breath pretty well so you dont get overly hot.

ShadowNife
03-06-2006, 06:38 PM
the dye knee pads don't know what breathing is :-/ At least the 04 version, im not sure about the 05s

BD_Paintball
03-06-2006, 06:41 PM
i have some proto knee pads are they are really nice. just played in a tourney with my college and BFG. the fields there are on old tennis courts and i was sliding on my knee and didnt feel a thing. the proto knee pads are also cheap, like 25 bucks.

MoeMag
03-07-2006, 12:17 AM
I have the ’05 dye kneepads. LIFE SAVER!

Last years spring break I flipped a bike going down a steep hill doing about 40mph… that really sucked. I didn’t break anything somehow, but the hospital used a stiff plastic brush to get all the rocks out of the road rash on my knee.
A few days later I went paintballing with my regular crew… wow that hurt. I messed up my knee for real that day. It is still sore and I have a bump to show for it almost a year later.

I bought the kneepads and went out playing, and did fine. I could slide and barely feel anything. They kept me in the game.

I love my Dye kneepads. :hail:

nate2k191
03-07-2006, 12:24 AM
i sewed some baseball knee pads into some loose pants of mine, Knee pads are basically a must. They make sliding and kneeling soooo much more comfortable and easy, allowing you to get in better positions and not have to worry about ripping up your knees. (the ground is really hard in texas by the way...)

Xenocide
03-07-2006, 12:40 AM
No one thinks they need kneepads until they come down on a rock and blow out the cap or the whole knee. Or just hit the deck funny diving for a snake.

The knees are such a fragile spot to begin with, I find I like to err on the side of caution. I found a nice pair of knee pads that worked for me, dont impede my movement, and it's one of the best investments I have made in my paintball carreer.

I sure was happy to have them when my practice team was doing indoor practices on concrete floors.

FSU_Paintball
03-07-2006, 11:10 AM
WEAR KNEE PADS NO MATTER WHAT.

Next week I'm getting out of physical rehab for my knees. I haven't been able to play in six months. I haven't been able to run a single step in six months. Some days I haven't wanted to get up or walk anywhere. It hurt just sitting in my car. My knees hurt all the time.

Why?

Because I played paintball for eight years without knee pads.

I never hit rocks... roots... or anything particularly bad. In fact, my most frequent field was a very good grassy field. But it eventually got to me. My knees would hurt after a day of paintball, but I never thought anything of it.... it's paintball, everything hurts afterwards.
One weekend I slid into my first bunker of the day... and said "OMG, that really hurt!" I was wearing C4 pants with the padding.

I am just now getting over it. I played this weekend for the first time in a long while. And just living with knee pain sucks. I'll never be exactly the same in terms of my knee, but with knee pads and stretching I can play the same as I used to now with minimal/no pain, but that's after 6 months of doing nothing on them and lots of rehab and doctor visits and medication.

I play with a lot of really good tourney players... people from Strange, and lots of high level D1/D2 players. Many of them have developed big knee problems as a result of not wearing knee pads. I'm hot a hugely physical player (I'm not fast or graceful) so it took me a good eight years to get to this point, but these guys have developed problems in the first couple years of playing. They learn quick after the doctor tells them they won't walk after age 40 if they don't start wearing knee pads.

Wear knee pads no matter what, or you will be sorry. That's all there is to it. Pant padding is not enough. Go get some Proto or Empire pads.

As for other pads... padding is legal in all major tourneys, provided you follow their rules (2 layers of clothing, including pads maximum). I wear elbow pads... much easier on the arms when you're trying to crawl up a snake, or lean on an elbow keeping low.

REDRT
03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I hear you FSU loud and clear! My knees just can't take the pounding as they once did. Before they become too bad I chose knee pads over and above my C4s and C5s. NO REGRETS. Only wish I could find large enough elbow pads to fit me. The elbows seem to take a beating enough to.

Jotsy
03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
wow :eek: , ok, top priority on my shopping list for this month: knee pads

thanks guys

Jotsy
03-14-2006, 10:30 AM
ok, so i got my elbow pads in the mail today. knee pads are on the way. i got a set of planet eclipse pads in size L. anyways, i think i need an M size so i'm gonna trade em.

one thing i noticed tho, the elbow joint on these seem a bit thin. i'm talking about where the actual padding bends to form the shape of the elbow. i would have thought that this was the most crucial part and would require the most padding? the rest of the padding is nice an thick, but i'm just a little worried about that elbow joint.

anyways, so if i'm thinking of trading em up, i mite as well try another brand. i was thinking of the dye ones (mostly because thats what ppl around here mostly use and therefore would be availiable for trading). does anybody know if the elbow joints on those are any better?

REDRT
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
does anybody know if the elbow joints on those are any better?

Yeah, the Dye elbow pads are top notch. Too bad their largest pair is still too small for me. :cry:

Pha|anx
03-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Don't buy E-Ventz... Wasted $100 on mine.

Baby Huey
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I have the dye knees and elbows. They are great and the elbows will provide all the protection you need when diving into a bunker as well as provide some nice bounces (if that type of thing matters to you :rolleyes: ) Good luck and God Bless.

VFX_Fenix
03-15-2006, 03:59 AM
I wear JT e-Motion Knee/Shin pads when I'm out and about, mostly out of habbit, but also because I get some bounces off of 'em when I'm being bad about where my legs are.