PDA

View Full Version : RainX and WD40

Chaos_Theory!
03-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Ok, well this was brought up on pbn so i thought id ask about it. Now, i know this was brought up before on these forums but the thread im thinking of is very old and prob cant be found.

Anyway, someone on PBN mentioned how they put WD40 on the inside and outside of their barrel and the outside of their gun so its easy to clean. What i wanna know is if this is a good idea or not (mainly in the barrel).

Im pretty much positive RainX on the inside of a barrel is a bad idea for one reaosn or another but idk.

Any comments and what not are greatly appreciated.

Chronobreak
03-05-2006, 06:17 PM
wd-40 would be like oiling the barrel..so i cant imagine that would help....(atleast accuracy) but i assume when you break and im sure you will with that it might just kinda slush out the barrel, you also dont want wd-40 ANYWHERE near the o-rings on your gun(it will corode them)

i and afew others have used rain x with pretty good results, BUT it does change the inside diameter of the bore, and often needs to be reapllied

some tourney rules state that you cannot do things such as rain xon the barrel etc, so thats something to keep in mind(although i doubt theyd check)

if your havign chopping problems, try to eliminate the problem, ie better paint, faster loader

Chaos_Theory!
03-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I was jw what peoples thoughts were on it. I know it really wouldnt help accuracy but someone said they were using it to make it easier to clean thier gun.

Lohman446
03-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Paintballs break skin, I would be concerned about the possible reactions of changing the chemical compounds on the outside of the shell.

Aslan
03-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I've only heard of Rain-X being good as an anti-fog in your goggles. My friend switched from wax to Rain-X a couple years ago and swears by it.
But as for barrels, I wash them using soap and water, dry them, and then push a squugie through the barrel that is very, very lightly oiled with standard PMI gun oil. People have said not to oil the barrel, but as long is it's very light and even (not blowing oil into the barrel and leaving it there), I've seen no ill effects. As to making it easier to clean when you have breaks, I don't know anything that does that short of not having breaks. :shooting: :ninja:

:cheers:

WARPED1
03-05-2006, 08:03 PM
WD40 will eat through all your orings. Not recommended.

latches109
03-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Paintballs break skin, I would be concerned about the possible reactions of changing the chemical compounds on the outside of the shell.

yes some people are allergic to it.

If your barrel is micro honed like ultralights, rain x won't do much to the friction coefficient. And what do you achieve? a few extra balls out of your tank, and maybe easier to shoot out barrel breaks; but once you swab your barrel you take the coating off anyway.

bentothejam1n
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
not like it matters but heres the link
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2033821#post2033821
it scomparing wax and rainx tho. I'd be interested if someone actually did tests on Rainx to see if there are any ill effects (sp). I'd just be nervous if it broke skin

Surestick
03-07-2006, 06:34 PM
I've only heard of Rain-X being good as an anti-fog in your goggles. My friend switched from wax to Rain-X a couple years ago and swears by it.

RainX contains alcohol (Isopropyl I believe) and goggle lenses are made of a plastic. I believe it says specifically in the instructions that come with most masks not to uses anything containing alcohol on them.

RainX in the barrel I can see working - swabbing your barrel shouldn't remove it (heck the stuff lasts a while on your windshield with wipers that must have similar pressure/friction characteristics to a barrel squeegee).

To add another facet to this discussion: I'm not a fan of the stuff on my windshield - it does what it promises but I find that when I use it the wipers leave a thin fog like water film that takes a second or so to dissapear & is extremely annoying at night with oncoming traffic. Just give me new wiper blades, please.

PumpPlayer
03-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Bad idea.

If you want to make your marker easier to clean, change your solvent, not the marker surface.
A 50/50 mix of alcohol and water on a q-tip works wonders for cleaning both dirt and paint.

As for shooting through breaks, you need good paint to barrel match and a smooth barrel surface in the first place. Without that, it won't work no matter what you do and with it, it's only the difference of 5 shots or 6.

Don't do it.